Soaps Original or Working Titles

• Members

Didn't see this upthread, but I'm 99.99% sure the working title for "Texas" was "Reunion." I guess that would've made sense, since their big opening storyline was Iris and Alex reuniting after so many years. They obviously went with "Texas," to get some mileage from "Dallas," which was on fire at the time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Reunion was a period soap the Corringtons were working on that was refashioned into Texas,so Iris and Alex would not have been a part of that.But a similar story may have been present in the Reunion bible that was rewritten to suit those characters.

• Members

Well, ATWT was the original. I'm sure Irna used the AW name as some subliminal thing to get ATWT fans to sample AW. As for OPW, my guess is that was probably some sponsor-driven name for marketing-advertising purposes to remind viewers that it was an ATWT spinoff.

• Members

The original idea was supposedly that AW was to be a spin-off of ATWT, but CBS objected to a spin-off (and presumably crossovers) on another network, and so that was nixed...yet for some reason two years in they allowed GL/AW crossovers so...*shrug*.

• Members

Yeah, I forgot that AW was supposed to be an ATWT spinoff. I think Irna had planned for the Matthews family to be friends of the Hugheses, but obviously that was nixed with the different networks issue. Mike and Hope Bauer crossed over to AW, right? Besides them and the smattering of AW refugees to ATWT when AW was cancelled, have there there ever been any other instances of characters crossing over from network to network?

• Members

Yes, Mike and Hope, and Cass also crossed over to atwt after the initial round of aw refugees.

ABC had hoped to secure the rights to Felicia Gallant but P&G wouldn't sell which led to the resurrection of Gretel Rae Cummings.

• Members

I always read that AW was pitched to CBS, but they passed because they had no room, but that's never made sense to me because in the spring of 1964, CBS was running a 90-minute block of sitcom reruns before Love of Life, and I don't really think Pete & Gladys was bringing in monster ratings.

I think there was another character who crossed over from ATWT to AW in the 60s, Mitchell Dru. He's the lawyer guy who showed up on The Brighter Day as well, and I think maybe even GL.

• Members

P&G would've always wanted it, I think CBS were the people to please here. I can't see CBS being too thrilled at the prospect of characters from one of their shows on their main rival's soap, although they may have been more willing to let them go since there weren't any CBS soaps directly competing with AW at that time (it says To Tell The Truth was the CBS competition, GH at ABC), so either CBS were confident enough in TTTT's ratings or didn't care so long as no serial was up against it so as to allow the crossover, but AW also wasn't doing so bad in the ratings at that time either (8th), and GH was doing even better (7th).

I'd think CBS would've been a bit worried about the crossovers, personally, though maybe they just figured "better to work together to nip ABC in the bud before they really take off"?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived