OLTL: Discussion for the week October 5

• Members

Dorian the lesbian? What a horrible plot twist. Who is actually supposed to beleive this asinine lie? Dorian needs to pretend to be gay in order to win being mayor? I mean really? This one issue is supposed to make or break whether she gets elected? And if she becomes mayor, what is she going to say to her supporters? Oops, I was just confused? Dumb, dumb, dumb

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see what you're saying, but the writing of the story suggests they DO want us to see Todd as a romantic hero who was hurt by Tea's lies. That we were supposed to be happy they married and be sad that it might not last. It's like when they have Rex tell Gigi 50 times that she's a whore and that she's the reason he slept with her sister -- we're supposed to root for Rex and see him as being justified in what he says.

They're already going to be seen as pushing "messages" by bringing up gay marriage as a major plot point. I think if they were going to do that, and have one couple where one party is essentially forced into the marriage, they could have had a nice balance by having a gay couple who actually wanted to get married and loved each other. That wouldn't have to be Kish -- they aren't even together, and I doubt that would end in marriage anyway. I think they could have had another couple, just for balance, and to show that some people actually wanted to get married because of their feelings for each other.

• Members

I know. I just mentioned Todd because he demonstrated an epic lack of commitment this week. When something gets hard his first thought is to give up and that's pretty much the opposite of what marriage is supposed to be. At least theoretically.

I think if TPTB want to "go there" with gay marriage, they should do it organically through the story of the characters. Show us why it matters. Once Kish are together have Fish in an accident and Kyle not be the one able to make medical decisions or have Stacy be the mother from hell and let Kish raise the baby only to have the kid given back to the mother from hell or sent to foster care when Fish is seriously hurt on the job. There are a million scenarios they could use to make us feel why everyone should have the right to marry, but having soap characters lecture to me like I'm some sort of ignorant rube is such a turn off even when I agree with what they are saying.

And the funniest part of all is OLTL pretty much shows me the exact opposite of why gay people should be allowed to marry. If I go by what is happening in Llanview I'm thinking maybe marriage is just an outdated institution that should simply be abolished completely, since no one seems able to stick it out these days. I wonder when ABCD decided that having long term stable couples was a bad idea?

• Members

Todd's been married alot but the more interesting thing is that he's ONLY been married to two women. You would have thought he'd have at least 4 or 5, but nope, just two. He probably holds the record for most marriages to the least amount of women. 7 legal marriages between 2 wives

• Members

So true! Every show should have one or two stable couples. It is not that hard to write for people who are married! At this point ABC just doesn't seem to want long term couples, even in the older set. It's really sad and takes away from the sense of family that soaps used to have.

• Members

I just watched Thursday and Friday and the actress that plays Tea is a mess! WTF was up with her over the top acting with Blair? Especially after Blair fell out the window. And those pants!! I just don't understand Tea (or Todd really).

LOVE the gay triangle and that all three of these guys are grey characters. I wouldn't say one has been sainted, although I do think Kyle might be losing too much of his edge which could make him boring. Nick is my favorite of the three. He's cute and I'd love to see him as one of those passionate and troubled soap heroines like Blair or Lily on ATWT. Not a loony toon like Phyllis on Y&R or Stacy, but some desperation would be nice.

• Members

I thought Florencia Lozano was gonna faint steady hyperventilating for a good five minutes, it was TOO MUCH! :lol: But for me at least, its was a so bad it's good kinda thing.

I really don't care two ways about the three gay guys quite yet because right now they still feel like more of an idea/concept than 3-D individuals. I mean, they're getting there and we have a sense of Fish and his family, but I think it will be very interesting to watch them play just good old-fashioned soap opera drama as it would be written for heterosexuals. Of course with there only being three of them, they may have to introduce more gay characters, because I don't think anyone is going to accept these three going the Steven Carrington bi route.

• Members

I don't see a real triangle with Nick/Kyle/Fish developing. Kyle looks at Nick as if he is a piece of gum stuck to the bottom of his shoe. I find it hard to believe that these two guys would be fighting over funny looking scheming Kyle anyway. It would make more sense if Fish and Nick were hooking up and Kyle trying to convince Fish that he had changed and wanted another chance. In any case, there are no real triangles on any of the ABC soaps, period. You can always predict the two characters destined to be together which is why these soaps have nothing new or fresh going on. Look at the Stacey/Rex/Gigi/Sky. Stacey could have been the cool sister that Rex secretly had a thing with back with he was Gigi. Despite loving Gigi, he could have been reluctantly drawn to Stacey and her to him. Sky could have been attracted to Gigi, but still in love with Stacey. Instead we get cartoonish Stacey and her schemes. I think the last unpredictable popular triangle on ABC soaps was Sonny/Brenda/Jax on GH.

• Members

I agree that it isn't a real triangle. They didn't show most of the relationship between Kyle and Nick and I doubt Nick will have a purpose beyond the third party who slinks away when the plot calls for it. That's just the way most soaps are, so I'm not saying it's unusual or anything. Too bad, as Nick and Kyle do have some chemistry together and I think Nick and Fish had a good vibe in their few scenes together. I would much rather see a story with them than Gigi/Rex/Stacy, or Todd/Tea/Blair.

FL does the over the top acting every time they pull out these gimmicks. This wasn't as bad as her overacting when Tea was shot, but it's not great either.

Archived