OLTL: Discussion for the week October 5

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm back watching OLTL for a few weeks now and I honestly don't think it's as great as people have said. About half the show is unwatchable and honestly, Valentini isn't the greatest producer on the planet and the writing team (sans Carlivati) is mediocre. I looked at Blair falling through the window and Dorian announcing she's gay and that could've been MAJOR, but it looked cheap and clunky. They did the same thing with Nash's death and the BE takeover. The blocking, pacing and execution of these events is always terrible on OLTL. It just doesn't have the impact it should have.

But you know, it is watchable and is a decent show, but certainly not something people need to imitate.

• Members

The show is extremely uneven, and I spend more time talking about the bad than the good, but that's what soaps are now.

I don't really think other soaps should imitate OLTL, but then I haven't seen a lot of calls for that anyway. I remember what a great success it was when various soaps tried to rip off Jim Reilly in the 90s.

• Members

I don't really understand the writing for this gay marriage storyline. I thought Dorian would come up with the idea for her campaign, but it seems like Amelia almost forced her into the idea. Since

, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of gay marriage.

• Members

Yes, the show has its moments but as a whole falls short. It is the only show I watch so comparing it to others to make it appear better doesn't work for me, to be honest there was a time I got greater enjoyment because I was invested in characters/actors that I are longer on the show even with the bad writing and storylines now there is no one I relate to or care about so I see all the faults and have nothing to counter it with.

• Members

OLTL does have couples we're supposed to love and want to see happily married. I think we were supposed to be happy Todd/Tea married, even if the wedding turned out to be illegal.

I just figure if you're going to have a story involve gay marriage, a topic usually not covered on soaps, then you could have at least one couple who actually may want to be married, and show viewers that the whole idea isn't a gimmick, or meaningless.

• Members

I think that the gay marriage story is light and comedic on purpose. FV and RC are tackling a serious social issue under the guise of humor. I also think that the story's is plot device to push Kyle and Oliver back together somehow. I don't care because I have no interest in Kyle or Fish. However, Dorian and David can make this story entertaining enough to be endured.

• Members

Wanting people to be married is not the same thing as a ringing endorsement. Good grief!! Todd has been married like 8 times, does it get any more meaningless than that? He kicked Tea out of the house the day after their fake marriage. Talk about treating marriage as a joke. I won't even go into the fact that he's a serial rapist. So while I LOVE TSJ, I'm not rooting for Todd as romantic hero and any marriage he is in is not what I would call an endorsement of the institution.

Maybe at some point people will root for Kish to marry, but it's way too soon for all that. Personally, I'm glad OLTL isn't trying to shove some fake politically correct message down my throat. I don't need nor do I want my soaps to send me political or social "messages". As it is I think they are doing a good job of pointing out that people should have equal rights under the law without being annoyingly self righteous or condescending about it.

Archived