LML or MAB

• Members

Oh no it wasn't. It was pure dreck for LML's run, sans her first six or so months. I find MAB's Y&R far more entertaining. But similar in a way to how I was entertained by JFP's OLTL. So I can see why fans are hating it. But it's that same kind of trainwreck- I just can't look away.

Hell, it wasn't even a soap opera. It was a PSA interspersed with a terribly cheesy music video.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Amen. Preach. Book, verse and chapter.

LML's Y&R was unwatchable and took the worst elements of the ABC soaps (favoring a few characters and featuring them ALL THE TIME, backburning anybody over 50 -- except for Glo -- hiring pretty but untalented ex-models to play forgettable new characters) and raised it to the nth degree.

She also outlawed any kind of soapy tension or cliffhangers in order to make every episode a stand-alone blandfest of nothingness. I remember half an episode devoted to Heather and Paul discussing what kind of coffee they drank (skinny latte blah blah) as a pretext for bonding.

Worst of all was a scene just after Drucilla died. Neil served up some salad in a big salad bowl to Lily, Daniel, Devon and Sharon and then started boohooing about how Dru made the best salad dressing on earth and looking at this salad bowl, that is how he would always remember her! Lily ran up to embrace him and I think they were going for sobbing but both KSJ and CK looked like they were trying to hold back giggles. A truly embarrassing scene.

MAB's problem, I think, is that after killing off Sabrina and David Chowamobster (when the ratings jumped), she is now ADDICTED to cliffhangers and cataclysmic events. At any cost. Even if it means decimating the canvas and saturating logic ( © Irna Philips). There have been so many deaths that the audience is now immune to its impact. And, therefore, bored.

• Members

I have loved (LOVED) aspects of both women's contributions.

Early LML was among my all-time favorite periods of Y&R (when she was still buttressed by her legacy team).

August 2008-February 2009 was another joyous time for me at Y&R (this time under the direction of MAB/HS/SH and PR for most of it).

That both have had "down" times is clear. But both really, really improved my enjoyment of Y&R for extended periods.

In the MAB case, I have strong hope that we're about to enter another high phase. Just the number of beautiful scenes this week show me there's still heat in those embers!

• Members

Y&R doesn't even do cliffhangers now. They just jump ahead to some other random plot point. I think that's what gets me the most, nothing on Y&R feels like a soap to me. It's almost anti-soap, like the people at the show are ashamed of soaps, yet don't have the talent to do whatever they are trying to do.

• Members

I couldn't disagree more. Wednesday: what will happen to the Scoobies now that Gloria showed up? Thursday: OMG Victor's heart has stopped! and so on.

Many days bring bonafide soap cliffhangers. But sorry to detract from the "it's all sh!t narrative" we've got going here :lol: !

• Members

I don't know if that's a bonafide soap cliffhanger because people are trained to know that nothing serious is going to happen. I think that's just more of a stunt, the stuff with Victor's heart. And having the Scoobies on right in the middle of Colleen's death makes it seem too much like filler to have a cliffhanger.

Events that needed big cliffhangers and resolutions, like Phillip's return, Colleen leaving in the canoe, Brad going to rescue Noah, all had key moments which were skipped. Some other stories built up and then vanished for weeks, and had jumped ahead without any real explanation by the time viewers saw the stories again.

• Members

I thought Wheeler respected soaps, she just didn't have any real ability to do what she was trying, and she had awful taste. Most of her stories were still soap-oriented in nature.

MAB and Sheffer, I have never seen any strong indications they like soaps that much. MAB stayed away from daytime for many years, and Sheffer has had contempt for many soap customs (pacing, history, continuity, strong characterization, resolving cliffhangers, family, strong women, romance) on ATWT, DAYS, and now Y&R. Little of what they have really done since their arrival at Y&R has seemed like solid soap to me. Instead it's just sort of pushing stuff at viewers and assuming they don't even have to make a serious effort to win viewers over, because they're just that awesome.

• Members

Really, Carl? Really?

I realize this is waaay OT, and maybe if you're interested in continuing this discussion in the GL thread - I'm game. But.....

EW has said on more than one occasion that she was modeling GL after "The Hills". And that she wanted to GL look so different that people flipping through the channels "wouldn't know what GL was supposed to be". Her stories soap-oriented? Not all of them. I don't remember her Friday cliffhangers at all.

How are MAB's stories not soap-oriented, other than no Friday cliffhanger (according to you)?

• Members

I thought Wheeler just blathered to get attention for the show. Some of her crap was Hills wannabe, like Ashlee and Daisy, but other stories, even if they were not good stories, were rooted in soap. Otalia, Shayne's return, Reva's cancer and pregnancy.

MAB's stories seem like bad imitations of other genres to me (especially what Adam is doing, and Patty Jane going to psycho realm at warp speed), they seem like pointless agenda writing (Phillip's return), and they seem to meander aimlessly with no heart, no purpose. Hey, let's give Kevin brothers and sisters no one cares about and have the Scoobies involved in various capers that go nowhere. Amber may or may not get raped by Deacon, Jana may or may not have the brain tumor return, Kevin regresses to childhood and goes on an armed robbing spree, Daniel is imprisoned and arrested over and over, but it's all glib. Many stories have absolutely no apparent purpose I see beyond a way to fill time and to degrade characters (Devon/Tyra, Jill at the nail salon, Jill losing everything). Stories vanish for months on end, like Noah's emancipation or Sharon's shoplifting. Longtime characters die and a month later nobody cares. We are endlessly told about this great love or that great love without actually being shown anything of substance. The men are usually either swinging dicks or patsies. The women are all for a man's love, it doesn't even actually matter what that love represents or how the men actually feel about them, they just know that is what their life is about. The families on the show have no relationships whatsoever until it's time for a crisis which has a lot of teeth-gnashing and yelling, before it's forgotten and everyone drifts apart again until the next stunt.

The show feels very hollow to me, it just sits there between stunts. I don't think that's what a soap is about. I feel like they just have contempt for Y&R and are trying to redo what they have to repeat the stories they want to tell.

Archived