Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the fans just never noticed. Emmerdale, the UK soap I used to watch, dropped "Farm" in the late 80's but a lot of older fans still call it Emmerdale Farm.

James Lipton isn't much of an actor either, if the few GL episodes of that era I've seen are any indication, but he did have a sincerity and boy next door appeal which made it obvious why he was so popular. I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't left GL, if he would have lasted a long time, or if he was probably being phased out anyway.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Actually, the "The" had already been dropped by 1977. One of the TV reference books incorrectly states that the title changed with the first hour long episode. GL changed the lighthouse logo to the sunlight through the trees opening in November 1975. "The" was officially dropped from its title then. No, I do not think there was any significant reaction to it. Although the graphics were Guiding Light, announcer Allan Berns continued to say "The Guiding Light" for the next six years.

• Members

I read that in the reference book as well about when the title was changed. As I haven't seen much of anything from the mid-70s there is no way to have known different.

So basically until about 1981 or so at the end they were calling it TGL? That is confusing...

• Members

Well, Claire Labine was going to try a "Children's Hour" story...beyond that, the closest is probably Lucy's HIV-positive friend, who appeared during part of 95-96. I can't remember if they said he was gay or if it was implied.

There was also that strange, presumably unintentional period from 2000-2003 where I thought most of the younger male characters were a few drinks away from an orgy.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Fletcher was like the male Reva in a way as he was with many women over the years with Maureen, Claire, Alex, Maeve, Vanessa, Holly etc.

This article below is from February 1996 Soap Opera Update. The answer of course was not very long before Josh Taylor took over the role briefly:

TyloReturns.jpg

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

A rather sad and bleak ad for Christmas isn't it?

gl851222-1.jpg

I've heard Reva's rebirth was quite good and compelling to watch but the Cain part of the story was a complete farce. I'm more interested in Reva's 2nd suicide attempt where she runs into traffic from her running from her wedding to Kyle and was saved by Josh but thought it was a dream as Josh was no where to be found afterward.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I don't think that second scene was a suicide attempt. She was disoriented and wandering around without thinking.

I'd like to see what Long's vision of the Cain story would have been, although honestly I think it was just such huge burnout for the Reva character, too much in too few years.

Edited by CarlD2