Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Wow, this looks like a 100 years ago!

Mel and Rick had no chemistry at all, why did they push it? RR was a horrible Alan but would have made a good Mike Bauer recast. Wow, remember when Harley was likeable and BE had some meat on her bones, and MOL was still kind of cute here. What happened to both of them, BE became a shrill stick woman and MOL bloated up and had a weird face going on.

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I always felt like they just wanted to look as if they cared about diversity, and they didn't care about Rick, so they put him with Mel.

So much of this story on GL felt like by-the-numbers to me. Their quick love, Rick's quick illness, Richard suddenly dying at just the right time. I couldn't invest in it.

Did you get to see any of the 1981-1982 episodes being put up? They're kind of dull (the 1982 one moreso, although it still has a lot of great stuff), but we get to see more of the end of Carrie's story. I can't remember if you liked that story or not. This also has a lot of Quint/Nola stuff. Quint is a little too fake for me to care about, and contrived, but I enjoy Nola in this (don't care a lot for her friend). The best part is Bea's annoyed reaction to Mrs. Renfield stopping by.

Lainie Marler is also in this. I never knew she came back.

I just hate this Jackie recast.

I remember a letter in SOD from around this time saying, basically, "They spent all their time in discos, and I thought it would never end. Now they spend all their time in offices!" I can kind of see the point. I don't think characters like Jennifer and Amanda worked in that setting.

Poor Eve seems so out of place here, and she's wearing Rosalyn Carter's old hair and clothes.

• Members

I still think some of the Bauers could have made a return around 1991, as well (when Reva, Josh, Alexandria, etc. had already left). I think they lost an opportunity by not bringing back Hope around this time. Alan was still in jail, and it would have been interesting to see how Alan-Michael related to his mother as this point (Hope had refused to come to Alan-Michael and Harley's wedding in 1989 due to Alan being there, so there certainly could have been some existing animosity there). Hope would definitely need to be recast for this, because putting Elvera Roussel next to Ric Hearst would likely not work. Hope's constant conflict with Alan-Michael could force her to call her dad to help mediate the situation. This could be the first time that Alan-Michael would really deal with the fact that he's part-Bauer, perhaps softening the edge of AM a bit (rethinking his interference in Frank and Eleni, etc.). Mike leaves behind the Justice Department in order to help his daughter and grandson make amends. It would also be interesting to see just what type of relationship Mike has with AM at this point. As far as work goes, Vanessa could have convinced Mike to come to Lewis Oil full time as their inhouse council (embedding Mike within Springfield again quickly).

I'd prefer that Mike would be played by Don Stewart again - there was no reason he couldn't as far as looks go. He looked great in 1997, just some gray hair added smile.png . I don't know that Ron Raines would have worked as Mike...maybe, but I still don't see it. Again, with patience, this storyline could have developed to the point where by the end of 1992 or 1993, Alan returns, setting up storylines with Hope (ex-wife) and Mike (his on-again, off-again enemy from 1977 to 1984) and his desire to "reclaim" his son.

• Members

I never understood why they didn't bring Mike back during the whole Michelle Danny Santos thing. Ed was gone, and Mike working for the Justice Department would certainly have set up the "law and order," Bauers against the sleazy Santos thing. To work they just needed a real actress for Carmen. I think Santiago could have worked if perhaps Rauch wasnt there insisting she wear skin type leopard prints and act more like a powerful woman in a criminal world then a cougar on the prowl all the time.

• Members

Thanks. I'm sorry that her soap time didn't have a happier ending. Considering how uneven ATWT was during the first Dobson run I'm not sure if she would have lasted, but I wonder what part they had in mind for her. I also wonder what that AW role, with the sister. Could it have been something with Julia?

• Members

Holy crap. Sigh. While I'm sure at the time a lot of that was ridiculed and not liked but I would take any second of 1984 over anything we got in the 2000s. Or today on any soap. I felt invested beyond belief with just clips. Beverlee and Charita. Wow. Such amazing actresses. GL was very lucky to have them. I'm very familiar with GL history but SEEING it. Sigh. Again. GL has always had a special place for me amongst my soaps. I don't know why. Just something about it. I never felt that affection towards ATWT though I love the history of ATWT. I think ATWT was very untapped in potential for all of the 2000s. Very sad. But I have to ask, was Lujack that dominating on a daily basis? I love Irizarry and I know the character was super popular. Was is just an "instant click" with the audience or do you think the focus on him would annoy everyone?

Edited by KMan101