Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just love watching Trish. Soaps don't have characters like this now. GL had a number of dull characters at this time, so Trish could have seemed like more of the same, but Rebecca Hollen has a certain grace.

• Members

I LOVED Trish, and RH did have a grace bout her, I never really enjoyed the Lewises after she left.

Didt Andy Noris get killed?

I dont remember this Trudy character, whats the deal with her.

I really am intereasted in eppys with the Amanda/Ben/Eve triangle.

• Members

I think Andy just went to prison and was never mentioned again after a few months.

Trudy was Morgan's best friend. She kind of looks like Hope, which is distracting. She had a C-plot romance with Tim.

Every time I hear their version of "You Needed Me" it gets to me, even though I'm not a huge fan of couple themes.

• Members

I loved that, also the 1979 episode he posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF7kCQDO9Q

Is this Rita's final episode or was there much more afterwards? I have to say, for not knowing much about the stories at this time, I'm really loving every minute of it. Just proves that strong writing and stronger actors really make all the difference.

• Members

Rita Bauer. My bad. My knowledge of GL pre-83 is extremely tenuous, but I'm fascinated by the Dobsons and Marland's era. Reading over Roger's history from the 70s is just amazing and I'd kill to see more of it.

• Members

I know what you mean. Roger was such a complex character, and somehow all the twists and turns make sense. Over and over it was said in books and magazines that viewers just didn't want to let him go.

The Dobson years seem so exquisitely well-constructed. I think they really got into a groove at GL which they didn't match at their other soaps.

• Members

Who was the woman with Alan who was said to be married to Justin?

Why did Lucille want Ben dead?

What was the point of Roger and the foreign woman?

That episode left me wanting so much more. When Roger threatened the man following him and Alan, I felt that. There's not really anyone on soaps today who can do that anymore.

• Members

I haven't watched yet but the woman was either Elizabeth or Jackie.

I think the foreign woman helped Roger when he had been shot by Holly and he blackmailed Alan into getting him out of the country. She fell in love with him but did not know how evil he was. She eventually got together with Mike, but then died.

• Members

The foreign woman was Dr. Renee Dubois. She was a plastic surgeon hired by Roger to change his identity. She thought he was Arthur Green and did not realize the extent of his crimes. She eventually learned Roger's true identity in March 1980, just as he planned to kidnap Holly and Christina. They struggled, and Roger shoved her over a balcony to her death. Due to positive audience reaction,the same actress, Deborah May, returned a year later as Ivy Pierce, who also fell in love with Mike, but her new character fizzled. Marland wrote her out, too.