Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Susan kept it

Please register in order to view this content

which I greatly appreciated. I was also entertained. I think her unfiltered frankness made Jay even more open. Although I felt as if they could have carried the conversation between the two of them alone, I appreciate that Alan didn't try to steer the conversation away from what Susan was feeling. It needed to be said.

"... when people stop being polite and start getting real."

Also, I think she looks great.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jay spilled first with Justin Deas/Buzz Cooper being the reason he got fired.

Then Susan talked about how unhappy she was about Claire's change in character.

Does anyone recall who was HW GL at that time?

Jay talked about his love for Beverly and how the writers tried avoiding pairing them together even though the chemistry was there. How a pro she was and how she helped Pam Long get her first job. The trashing of his ex Pam...lol....

How Marg was a great lady but was nervous on set and forgot her lines.

Susan made it seem like Megan was not a very nice person. That she had her pets. Susan asked Jay if he got along with Megan. Jay said they were friendly with each other but weren't friends but got invited to her Christmas party. Susan was like well I didn't get invited to the party...lol

Michael Malone is great friends with Susan. That he knew all the tea because she had spilled it to him...lol

• Members

I know Jay spilled first but he was still being somewhat diplomatic. Susan really let it rip about how it felt personal how her character was being demeaned at the end. That, I think gave Jay license to admit that although he liked Marj Dusay as a person, he didn't really enjoy working with her. He started it but Susan definitely upped the ante and I was here for all of it.

• Members

I wish all the guests were as honest as Susan. She's great. Did anybody watch this live? Something got edited out at the 1:07:49 mark when they were talking about the death of Maureen Bauer. Right before Alan says "I don't think she'd like to hear that". I wonder what got cut out. Must have been good for Alan to censor it. 

• Members

Wasn't Megan McTavish also the one that had Roger blaming Gilly for all the problems at WRCW, so she quit to work as a personal assistant to Griffin, who she almost had an affair with until he turned out to be her father? Yuck. Then not long after she went over to OLTL and made Rachel a killer out of nowhere.

• Members

Yes to the first, no to the second. JFP and Pam Long made Rachel a killer. 

I think Pam Long wrote Claire/Fletcher...was she there for the sex with Ed? I think Jeff Ryder was the one who made Claire go crazy and packed her off. I'm not sure. 

I don't watch these very often but this one sounds good. I wonder what Jay meant about Buzz - they were on the show together for about 5 years. 

• Members

Thank you. Yes, I see McTavish didn't come until the next year on OLTL. Although, both stories (GL/OLTL) were under JFP's watch. I wonder if it was JFP's idea to make Rachel a killer, because on Y&R Hilary was made a killer under JFP.

The Amelia/Rick/Maureen interview should be interesting. I know JFP loved Lucy/SS so I wonder if it was her idea to cut the Gilly/Alan-Michael story or the networks. I do think I read a rumor Patrick Mulcahey quit over them not letting him do the David/Bridget story. 

• Members

I do wonder if it was P&G as around the same time, Duncan and Jessica were split up. 

Rachel was a horribly, horribly degraded character, many producers and writers to blame there. I guess at least JFP (and McTavish, I guess) let her return briefly a few years later in a positive supporting role. That's about the kindest I can say in regards to my views of that era. 

• Members

Ah...no one could remember Jeff Ryder. 

Jay said that Fletcher and Buzz were basically the same character and the writers wrote him off and Rauch fired him.

Jay said how horrible the writing was for Ben and was shocked Fletcher(Hammer) didn't return for his funeral.

• Members

No....I had forgotten he returned. They were taking about Charita I believe and the interview ended. It was weird. I didn't catch live and I usually do. I think Alan wanted to end it quickly. He felt the heat...

Please register in order to view this content

This one was the best by far and yet was cut short. I have a feeling the one with Maureen Garrett, Amelia Marshall and Rick Hearst will be the same...very brutal and honest.