Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

This is not just a feeling, this is a fact!

It was as if many of the women writers on daytime soaps felt they had something to prove and as a result, had to be harder-charging, coarser and more brutal in their characterization and that would somehow prove their "mettle" by being especially cutting in their writing of women characters (a warped quest against being accused of being partial maybe?). It's really a shame because a writer who is a man feels perfectly entitled to write a man who is sensitive with many sides to his personality with many twists and turns in how he is written, meanwhile so many of the women characters will absolutely be savaged, under the pen of writers who are both men and women. Such a shame.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Lordy. It was all so degrading. 

Weston's stint was such a turn off. It was so so so bad. 

You're absolutely right - it is a fact. And it really is a shame.

Very blessed. I'm so happy I was able to see a lot of it, thanks to YouTube. Sadly a lot of it seems to be gone now.

• Members

Went back to see the beginning of the Locher Room livestream with Maureen Garrett, Rick Hearst and Amelia Marshall and that part where they all talk about the forest fires in California and wonder what will happen next

Please register in order to view this content

. Just a few hours later.

I am glad that Amelia got to talk about working with Vince Williams and how special the Gilly/Hamp wedding. I wish Alan hadn't interrupted.

Interesting to hear about the resistance to the Jessica and Duncan relationship on ATWT. It makes me wonder Marland's other story featuring a Black family faced resistance that perhaps Marland couldn't overcome.

Sad to remember how lacking in courage the executives behind these shows could be.

• Members

Surprisingly candid, considering how reigned-in most of the discussions had been previously on this particular YouTube channel. I missed a portion of the actual livestream so I went back to watch yesterday when I had time to sit down and watch (rather than while multi-tasking).