Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

Warren basically takes over the criminal infrastructure that Rusty Sentell had set up. I was watching some episodes from June, 1983, last night and Warren has taken $3 million of Rusty's dirty money in order to fund some of his criminal activity. Tom Bergman is setting up the crime commission and has spoken to Brian Emerson about joining. Brian agrees after confirming that Tom's top target is Warren. 

In reference to when the show dropped the Brian/Suzi angle, Brian's involvement in the crime commission is discussed by Tom and Jo. Jo expresses that her concern is that Brian will have to keep his involvement from his wife and how that would hurt their new marriage. There is no real reference to how this plays into a Brian/Suzi past. In conversations, when Warren is bitching about his wife Suzi, Brian usually defends Suzi, but that seems to be about hating Warren as much as it is about Brian's feelings for Suzi. 

The clearance issues you mentioned were really a problem. The show had a 91% clearance when it premiered on NBC. It was up to a 93% by the summer of 1982. By the time Lee arrives, it is closer to 85% and then within weeks of taking over the show is at 80%. 

I think the Wendy / Warren / Suzi triangle was pretty successful at getting the show attention. The decision to nix Wendy's marriage to nice guy Keith so that Wendy could be more of a trouble maker like her mother going after her best friend's husband, Warren. Meanwhile, Warren's criminal involvement is being investigated by Brian, Wendy's half-brother, while he becomes involved with Billy Vargas, who ends up kidnapping Jo. Wendy and Warren continue to carry on behind Suzi's back while she is studying to become a social worker. Wendy gets pregnant and Warren is excited to be a father only for Warren to discover that Suzi is about to come of age into a sizeable inheritance. Warren's plans to dump Suzi are dropped so he can cash in on the future windfall and pushes Wendy to abort the baby. Wendy contemplates it, but ends up miscarrying leaving her devastated. Once Suzi learns the truth, she decides to dump Warren, who quickly marries Wendy and plans to get custody of baby Jonah before Warren ends up in jail himself. This all plays out in about a single year (May, 1983-June, 1984). If anything, the story could have been slowed down. 

The trouble was that Cynthia Gibb departs in August, 1983, and Elizabeth Swankhammer, who was very green, took over in September before departing several months later in December. In January, you have Teri Eoff assuming the role.

I think they could have pulled a Who Shot Warren story in the early half of 1984 though if you were looking for a big dramatic trial.  But I would have had Jo pull the trigger and Stephanie stand trial as Jo wouldn't remember due to trauma stemming from her kidnapping by Vargas. Of course, Warren would pop back up and Jo would be left wondering (after regaining the memory with the help of her new psychiatrist love inter) if Warren remembers what she has done. Warren would claim he was a new man, but would slowly gaslight Jo into confessing during a big party. 

But the live episode did get the ratings up. Weren't they like a 4.0 a week or so after the event? So people were tuning in. Gimmicks only grab the audiences attention if there is enough story to maintain outside it. I think the stunts worked (Michellle Phillips as Ruby Ashford, the LIVE episode), but that ultimately it was an affiliate issue and a pacing issue (they could have slowed the show down) more so than the stories themselves. 

I think they could have worked Patti back in around September, 1983, when Jo "died" during the kidnapping story and had her involved in the handling of her mother's estate. I probably would have kept her married to Len (on the rocks), but I would have her eyeing up men in Henderson (even though her age range was very limited). I would have had her clash with Martin, who Patti would see as beneath her mother given he was a gambler and a womanizer, which would put her in good graces with Lloyd. Truthfully, I think there would need to be more work done to the canvas to make Patti viable despite the fact that being Jo's daughter should have been enough.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can envision Jo shooting Warren (or any villain) and then blocking it out psychologically, but I am afraid that Jo was the sort who would have confessed to the authorities the minute she remembered, even if it meant exonerating her nemesis, Stephanie, of the crime.  If anything, Stephanie would have accused Jo of delaying her confession in order to make her (Stephanie) suffer; and Jo would have bought Warren's reformed act enough to take him into her home when everyone else had turned their backs on him - which, of course, would play right into Warren's plans.

The longer Warren lived with Jo, however, and the more she extended kindness and friendship toward him, the more conflicted Warren actually would become over his plot to ruin Jo.  For the first time in his life, Warren Carter would realize that even a low-life such as himself has worth, and that would be due to Jo's influence.  But there would be a complication in the form of Warren's continued association with Brett Hamilton, Ringo Altman or another criminal - and maybe a plot to kill Jo and make it look as if she took her own life out of guilt over shooting Warren - that would result in Stu getting injured at Jo's house and Warren finally breaking down and revealing everything before apologizing to Jo and possibly fleeing Henderson for parts unknown, thereby leaving the door open for him to return down the road, played by a different actor (?), and causing (more) trouble for Cagney and Suzi as he wants to get to know Jonah again.

But...back to Jo's hypothetical murder trial.

As I have mentioned upthread, I would have had Jo on trial for killing someone, with her last husband, Martin Tourneur, being the most likely victim.  Courtney Sherman Simon would have returned as Kathy to defend Jo in court, and Millee Taggart would have returned briefly as Janet to lend her support as well.  Obviously, Jo would have been framed by the real culprit (don't ask me who), but Martin himself would have provided Jo with plenty of reasons to shoot him, as he would have become more physically and mentally abusive toward his wife in the weeks and months leading up to his murder.  Then, at the climax of the special "live" broadcast, everyone's jaws would drop as the jury announces their guilty verdict.

I would have used the trial and Jo's subsequent prison stint to bring back some former soap stars in short-term roles.  For example, I would have had someone like Mandel Kramer (ex-Bill Marceau, EON) play the judge presiding over the trial.  (Alternatively, I would have dragged former EP Fred(die) Bartholomew out of acting retirement to play the "honorable judge Fauntleroy").  Someone like Audrey Peters (ex-Vanessa, LOL) or Bethel Leslie (ex-Maggie, THE DOCTORS) would play at the warden at the women's prison outside Henderson, where Jo is incarcerated; and her assistant would be played by someone like Teri Keane (ex-Martha, EON, et al) or Mary K. Wells (ex-Louise, EON).  Jada Rowland (ex-Amy, SS; ex-Carolee, TD) might play the head of a prison gang that gives Jo a hard time behind bars, while Rosemary Prinz (ex-Penny, ATWT, et al) plays Jo's wisecracking cell-mate, who, once released, could become Stu's new, recurring love interest.  (Most of the ladies mentioned are just examples, but I do think RP and Larry Haines would have shared great chemistry if they had been paired together.)

During her unfortunate incarceration, however, Jo would stumble upon a prostitution ring involving several of the younger inmates.  All clues would point to the warden, but Jo, with help on the outside from Stu, would learn that the warden's assistant would be the true ringleader, leading to a climactic showdown between many of the women that results in the warden being injured, the assistant being apprehended and Jo having her sentence commuted by the governor in light of her efforts to expose the ring.

In the meantime, Sunny would be using her journalistic skills to clear Jo's name, drawing the reluctant male A.D.A., who had prosecuted Jo, into her efforts to uncover the identity of Martin's real killer.  Of course, Sunny's efforts would place herself in danger; and rescuing her from the killer (whoever they are) with Hogan's help would prompt the A.D.A. to confess his feelings for Sunny, initiating a triangle between him, Hogan and Sunny.

Finally, when Jo is released from prison, so, too, is another inmate whom Jo has taken under her wing.  Jo moves her into her home and in time helps her to track down the little boy whom she gave birth to while still incarcerated and was forced to give up for adoption.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I believe that the best way to have accomplished that would have been to bring on either Chris or Tracey first, as a wayward teen, whom Len and Patti would send to their grandmother, Jo, when they could handle them no longer.  Of course, Chris/Tracey would cause trouble almost from the moment they hit Henderson, eventually causing Jo to adopt a "tough love" stance on her own grandchild that, in time, would straighten them out.  Then, down the road, you could bring on Patti, Len and the other child for a special occasion - like, say, a high school graduation - that would trigger a bombshell revelation: Chris/Tracey once caught Patti having an affair.

Edited by Khan

• Members

You know what would have been good?  Wendy tells Warren she is pregnant with his baby, hoping the news will force Warren to divorce Suzi and marry her.  Warren, however, refuses to leave Suzi on account of that inheritance she is expected to come into very soon and tells Wendy to get an abortion.  Frustrated, Wendy tells Suzi about the baby.  Suzi is devastated, not just because of the knowledge that Warren has been unfaithful to her, but also because she has learned that she is unable to conceive herself. 

Then, events take an unexpected twist: just as Wendy is going to tell Warren about Suzi's infertility, Warren is killed in a freak accident, leaving both Suzi and Wendy alone, and Wendy still pregnant with his child.  In an homage to the classic Bette Davis/Mary Astor movie, "The Great Lie," Suzi helps Wendy through a very difficult pregnancy.  Wendy's joy at giving birth to her and Warren's baby gradually turns to panic, though, as she realizes she is not cut out to be a mother.  Eventually, Wendy gives up her baby to Suzi and leaves Henderson for parts unknown.  Wendy's decision sets the stage for a custody battle between Suzi and Stephanie, who is outraged that her own daughter (Wendy) has abandoned her grandchild to another woman.

Here is another way it could go: let's say Warren does not die, but learns that Suzi is infertile.  Warren has a choice to make: either he stays with Suzi and her money, or gives up the money to be with Wendy and their baby.  Warren being Warren, he decides to stay with Suzi.  A devastated Wendy leaves Henderson.  Warren begins plotting to drive Suzi crazy, so he can declare power of attorney over her estate.

Several months later, Wendy returns with her newborn in tow.  Warren and Wendy resume their affair.  Gradually, Warren's plot against Suzi unravels, and Suzi realizes her husband has been gaslighting her.  Suzi turns the tables on Warren, making him believe she is out to get him.  It culminates with Suzi pulling a gun on Warren and shooting him, but - surprise! - the gun is filled with blanks. 

Suzi reveals everything she knows about Warren's plans and offers him and Wendy a choice: the two could stay in Henderson and face criminal charges, or they can take the money that Suzi offers them and leave town, but leave their baby with her.  Warren and Wendy choose the latter; they leave Henderson, and leave behind their baby for Suzi to raise.  And Suzi's ordeal with Warren and Wendy becomes a real catalyst for her, as she resolves never to be anyone's victim again.

• Members

God knows I can be long winded, so I kept a couple a details out regarding my belief regarding the potential of Stephanie going on trial with Jo psychologically blocking it out. Stephanie's rationale for not stating the truth would have been a) no one would believe Stephanie implicating her enemy Jo as anything more than an attempt to distort the truth and b) Stephanie feared that if the investigation did veer away from Stephanie it would lead to Wendy. While Wendy might not go to jail, Stephanie wouldn't want all of Wendy's association with Warren out in the public. Plus, Stephanie knew that she was guilty. Whether or not the audience would have bought that, I cannot say for sure 

Please register in order to view this content

I was planning the timing of Jo's memory returning for the same time as Warren's return. Now, you got me thinking though, what if Jo went on trial for murder of Warren and was found innocent, only for Warren to turn up alive, then later have Warren reveal that Jo had in fact been the one who had shot him and she hadn't remembered. And her having to live with the fact that she got off for a crime she did commit. 

As initially conceived, Warren wasn't a complete scumbag. Ellis and Hunt delved a bit into his background and had Brian hunt down information about Warren's past in Detroit. It appeared that Warren was involved in his criminal activities because he and Kristin were impoverished and he was looking to provide a better life for Kristin. I believe this was also some of the subtext to Warren's disgust about Kristin and Brian's relationship because even though Warren was happy Brian was out of the way in terms of Suzi, he didn't like that Kristin would be involved in someone who couldn't provide for Kristin in the way he had. This could easily have been tapped into in the scenario you provided @Khan especially if he were in Jo's house and took troubled Christopher Whiting under his wing. 

I know Martin and Jo weren't endgame for most of the audience, but they were definitely written that way up until Martinw as written out in 1984. Even afterwards, Martin was seen as the one Jo would end up with (if that was ever even a thought on the table). Having her accused of his murder would be pretty brutal. 

The prison story sounds intriguing. The only detail I would suggest is making the district attorney who prosecuted Jo and was Sunny's love interest a little more devious and cunning. He would secretly be making calls to someone who has been guiding his career. Eventually, it would be revealed that the person at the other end of the phone is his aunt, Andrea Whiting, who would pop up for an arc when the truth about Christopher's paternity was revealed. If you are reintroducing Patti, playing out the reveal that Christopher is in fact Len's son as well as the juicy detail that Jo had known for YEARS and hadn't told Patti would be icing with Andrea back on the scene. And if they couldn't convince Joan Copeland to return, I would be okay with Tudi Wiggins assuming the role.  

I think the potential was there for Christopher Whiting given the backstory being adopted by his biological father and only a handful of people knowing (including Jo, and I believe Bob Rogers). In 1983, a Christopher / Danny friendship might have been workable and had them involved in the triangle with Angela.  I think the idea of Patti having had an affair works well especially if it leads Christopher seeing the disintegration of his adopted family as an impetus to look into his biological family which is what brings him to Henderson and with Grandma Jo wringing her hands about the heartbreak that is about to strike her family when all the truth comes out. 

For the mystery lover, I would probably make the man a doctor who would come to work at the hospital to help reestablish that part of the canvas especially if Patti were to make some sort of permanent presence. 

I think the idea of Wendy and Suzi raising the child is intriguing. If that was the route, I would want Wendy to not reveal to Suzi who the father was and for Warren to be presumed dead as the crime commission has caught up to him. Meanwhile, Suzi, who was also pregnant by Warren but unaware, loses her baby and the loss causes Wendy to remain mum about the father of her child, but also guides her to let Suzi be a part of her child's life. When pressed by Suzi, Wendy would finally break and confess that her old flame, Spence Langley, was the father thinking Suzi would back off. A newly single Suzi and a newly single Brian (Kristin wouldn't be able to forgive Brian for the role that the crime commission played in Warren's "death") would grow closer. Suzi would eventually decide that she needed to talk to Spence and tracks him down to Chicago, who doesn't let on to that he's not the father. Instead, he follows Wendy's advice and comes to Henderson looking for Stephanie to make a payout. Stephanie is not pleased by any of it, but when Stephanie refuses to pay, which infuriates Wendy, Spence decides to spend time in Henderson where he gets chummy with Kristin. As Kristin and Spence got closer, her one bone of contention with Spence is that he has abandoned "his child." Spence, in turn, decides to play daddy to the child. Eventually, Warren would return and fight  both Brian and Spence, which would require the former friends to repair the damage done by Spence masquerading as Brian, only for Brian and Spence's animosity to resume because of how Spence will inevitably hurt Kristin when it is revealed Warren, not Spence, is the child's father. 

I do like how your proposal though gives Suzi a backbone. She was often very spineless, which left her as a passive character rather than active. 

• Members

Suzi lost so many people in her life: Doug, Eunice, John, Wendy (in a way).  She also was abused and manipulated by Warren (and in my two scenarios above, she suffers what might be, for many women, the cruelest injustice of all: the inability to have children of her own).  Jo appeared to be the only constant in her life.  Then, when it looked as if she finally would have some happiness and stability of her own with Cagney and Jonah, what happens?  She gets killed.  It is as if TPTB lived to make that poor girl suffer.  That is why I gave Suzi some agency in both my scenarios, because if there is one that I cannot stand, it is a female character who is victimized by everyone around her and does nothing to take control of her own life.

Actually, @dc11786, I could see a scenario where Stephanie and Wendy believe each other to be responsible for shooting and/or killing Warren.  Stephanie would confess immediately to the crime in order to protect Wendy, whom she believes to be the culprit; and Wendy, not realizing why her mother has confessed, would be as stunned as everyone else when she does.  It is only later, as mother and daughter are alone and able to talk, when Stephanie and Wendy realize that neither was responsible for the crime.  But there is a twist: in order to be cleared of all charges, Stephanie needs Wendy to corroborate her new story (that she confessed only because she believed her daughter to be guilty), but Wendy refuses, because doing so would mean confessing to a major secret (such as Warren faking his own death for reason or another).  Essentially, Wendy is fine with allowing her mom to continue taking the rap for a crime neither have committed; and even though Jo begins to suspect that neither mother nor daughter is being completely honest with the authorities; and even though Stephanie is heartbroken over his daughter's actions, Stephanie still refuses to admit the truth to Jo or to anyone else.

And the whole time this is going on, no one even suspects that Warren's killer/"killer" is none other than Kristin, lol.

That is a neat twist, @dc11786.  But, you know, people loved Jo/Mary Stuart so much.  TPTB would have forced you to change that scenario somehow, so that Jo would be exonerated entirely, simply because there would be a tremendous outcry from viewers who would not want to see that knowledge dangling over Jo's head like the Sword of Damocles. 

It is kind of like what ATWT's Don Hastings said about the possibility of his character, Dr. Bob Hughes, killing someone: viewers might simply shrug and say, "Oh, well, so the gun went off."  Similarly, people would not want to see Jo guilty even of accidental murder, nor would they want Jo to punish herself for the crime even after the court had found her innocent.  If anything, people would be writing in, telling Jo to stop feeling guilty about trying to do away with scum like Warren Carter and enjoy the rest of her life, lol!

Obviously, I cannot speak for the rest of the audience, but I feel like the only husbands of Jo's who could have been considered as endgames were Arthur Tate and Tony Vincente, with Tony being the most endgame, if that makes sense.  To me, Martin could not possibly have been endgame, given his background as a gambler and womanizer.  I know he had reformed somewhat by the time he and Jo had married, but I still believe they were too entirely different for theirs to have been a long-lasting union.

My idea would have been to cast Forrest Compton, fresh from the cancelled EON, as Jo's new love interest, Stan Potter (an P&G in-joke).  It would be established that Stan and Jo's first husband, Keith Barron, had been business associates; and that Stan and his recently deceased wife, Emily, also had been close friends with Keith and with Jo.  Business opportunities had forced the Potters and their two sons, Robert and Eric, to relocate to Cincinnati (another P&G in-joke), but now that he was retired and a widower, he was moving back to Henderson.

As Jo and Stan resume their friendship, we would see flashbacks of the Barrons and Potters in their younger days, along with the gradual realization that Stan has long carried a torch for Jo.  As Stan later admits, he always wanted to express to Jo his true feelings, but never could, out of respect for both their marriages.  At the same time, Jo, who believes she is truly finished with romance after the implosion of her last marriage, realizes that her feelings toward Stan are turning into something deeper than friendship.

Eventually, Stan would propose to Jo near some place where they and their spouses used to frequent.  Jo accepts Stan's marriage proposal; Patti returns to Henderson for her mother's wedding.  (Ideally, I would have loved to get Lynn Loring to return for a limited engagement). We also would meet Rob and Eric Potter for the first time. 

Trouble looms on the horizon, however, when an older man whom Sunny has been following as part of her series on Henderson's burgeoning homeless community turns out to be none other Keith Barron himself.  (Yes, he would have been the second of Jo's lovers who turns out to be alive after all, with Sam being the first.  Fret not, however, as Jo and Stu would acknowledge that fact, along with the ridiculousness of having not one but two paramours return from the dead, lol).

Ooooh, I like that idea, @dc11786!  It would provide an unexpected connection with what was probably one of SFT's biggest stories from its' entire run.  And if you could not get Joan Copeland to return and resume the role, then I would try and get someone like Lee Grant.  It would have been the second SFT role for Grant, but Rose Peabody was so long ago, lol.

Or...I would go for broke and have Patti's mystery lover turn out to be female. 

I. Love. This. Idea. So. Much. LOL.

Seriously, @dc11786, you always have such incredible story ideas!

Edited by Khan

• Members

Ralph Ellis and Eugenie Hunt´s Suzi is purposefully naive in order for her not to catch on about Warren´s involvement in the gun running. By the time this all comes to light, Hunt and Ellis are days away from being out themselves. There is a scene very early in David Cherrill´s run where Suzi (still studying dance) is in the living room of hers and Wendy´s apartment doing a routine to Sheena Easton´s ¨Modern Girl¨ suggesting that there is an understanding that Suzi needs to be independent. Of course, about eight weeks later she and Warren are married 

Please register in order to view this content

Cherill doesn´t do much with Suzi in what I have seen, but there is a gap in my material (that has since materialized online). Cherrill may also have decided to deemphasis Suzi in this period if Gibbs was asking to be let out to film the ¨Fame¨ pilot.

I think it is Joanna Lee and Gary Tomlin who decide that Suzi wants to be a social worker, which I think was a smart move. I just watched a nice scene earlier today from July, 1983, where Suzi explains to Kristin and Wendy that she has always examined people´s motivations because of her mother´s death at such a young age. Given the community focus that Lee/Tomlin were reviving from the Corringtons era, I think Suzi would have fit in well with the grand vision of the show.  

The bigger issue with Tomlin´s Suzi is the turnover from Gibbs to Swankhammer to Eoff. Swankhammer is green and doesn´t have the energy to be a leading character. So her Suzi seems to be on the sidelines. Eoff gets to play some of the meatier material right away, but than the turnover in writers and producers that Suzi ends up in an insta couple with newbie Cagney, which, quite frankly, doesn´t work for me even if Ashford and Eoff have decent chemistry. 

Teri Eoff just never is given the chance to play a version of Suzi with much bite. Motherhood sorta keeps Suzi from being on the front burner and even when she is given a chance to be active (killing Warren) she has to be on edge of hysteria in order to do it. I like Mayer Avila and Braxton´s work, but they should have spent some time rebuilding Suzi as a person before going off and marrying Cagney and Suzi or at least have both characters realize that rushing into marriage was a mistake and fraught with conflict. 

I know people enjoy Long and Walsh´s run, but they seemed very out of touch in big areas. Killing off Suzi for a Cagney/Evie story is insane. 

I think the Stephanie / Wendy plot sounds like the kind of thing each of them would do. Stephanie was always trying to set up Warren to get him out of her girls' lives. If Wendy learned of this after Warren´s murder, Wendy could have done it out of revenge. Wendy could agree to testify in Stephanie´s defense before destroying Stephanie´s claim on the witness stand and then going later to Stephanie´s jail cell stating that this is what she gets for ruining her relationship with Warren. 

I would have Jo be the one to discover the truth to clear Stephanie. I like the idea of Kristin being her brother´s murderer, but what would you have had as her motivation?

I think there was also some space to explore Kristin and Warren´s background a bit more. Warren had been a punk in Detroit before going off to Los Angeles with Ringo and getting involved in a slightly bigger game then finally arriving in Henderson. I think one of the Carter parents could have come back to town after spending years in jail for the murder of the the other parent. Of course, then you could reveal that Kristin had actually murdered this parent too due to years of abuse which could have set off Warren´s murder. 

I think Jo needs to suffer lol It´s not like Jo was trolling the docks for young guys and bringing them back to a seedy motel to have her way with them and murder them (things we were saved from because Ron Carvilati wasn´t born decades earlier). Mary Stuart would have played the hell out of the angst, but if TPTB wanted to keep Jo purer than Ivory soap, I would tell them that I would eventually reveal that Kate the madam (Martin´s old lover who was a madam played by Mary Stuart when the Corringtons were writing) was in fact the killer and that it would come out somewhere over the next 2 to 3 years lol 

I don´t have a horse in the game in regards to Martin/Jo. I was just surprised to see how long they were committed to the pairing even after they were divorced. From a storytelling standpoint, I think Martin and Jo make sense because it kept Jo tied to a large part of the canvas (the Tourneur/Sentell clan), but I could see why some people would not like them because Martin wasn´t perfect. 

Your ideas are interesting @Khan and made me think of how I would tweak your scenario. I would probably want to deal with the plight of the homeless by tapping into the fact that many of those who are on the streets suffer from mental illness. In that case, I´d probably reveal that Emily Potter had been quietly disgarded by Stan years ago and that she had been shuffled between social services before getting lost in the system and ending up on the streets. I´d also have one of the sons suffer the same illness so that the audience could see how when treated with respect and dignity, those suffering from mental illnesses can live fulfilling lives.  

Only if you really go for broke and crossover with ¨Another World" and reveal that Patti´s lover is Ada Hobson. 

• Members

I just wanted to drop in & say Happy Endiversary to all who celebrate! 

In the 1952-53 season SFT had a Nielsen rating of 16.1 which is the highest rating on record. (Wikipedia)

This past year we learned something new about SFT. In 1970 or 1971 Kathy Phillips had what might have been the first legal abortion on a soap. At that time abortions were legal in 3 states - New York, Florida & Hawaii. Only New York did NOT have a residency requirement. So anyone who could afford to get there could get a legal medically achieved abortion. And, that is how Kathy Phillips may have gotten the first legal one, as opposed to Erica on AMC. Lance Jackson told us his memory of it. Got some info in a soap magazine. Also corresponded with Courtney Sherman Simon who played Kathy. Confirmed it! Posted about it.

• Members

#4130 – Friday, July 7th 1967

Written by : Julian Funt & David Lesan

In her living room, Marge was planning the goodbye party for Sam when he arrived. He told Marge and Stu he wanted them to cancel the party. He wasn’t sure he could face it. Stu and Marge convinced him his friends needed to say goodbye and Sam agreed. After Sam left, Stu noted how lost he was without Jo nor Len.

Len was on the phone with Eunice. He wanted to talk to Patti but she wasn’t available. Eunice tried to talk about Sam’s farwell party. She asked Len, whatever his grudges against Sam might be, to think about coming as he might never see his father again. After they hung up, Patti arrived and Eunice told her she could phone Len to convince him. Patti said she didn’t want to talk to Len who always tried to convince her he had changed. She had chosen Walter and it wouldn’t change. Walter called and told Patti that Steve was walking around. Walter would be home in two weeks. After they hung up, Eunice pressed against her niece to talk to Len but Patti refused saying he would only come to Sam’s farewell party because of her and that wouldn’t be fair.

#4131 – Monday, July 10th 1967

In Bob Rogers’ office, Sam handed Bob his resignation but Bob told him the board refused. Sam said he would be in California and wouldn’t deal with the nursing school project. Sam got angry and tore the resignation in two. Eunice called and told Sam that Jo would be back home for his farewell party. Sam was moved. Bob wondered if it would change his mind about living but Sam said it wouldn’t because Jo was just being nice.

At the nurses’ station, Alan apologized to Len for peeking at a patient’s chart. Len was unnerved by the nuisance. Angie said Alan was giving her the creeps since his first day of work. Nick noticed that Alan’s pupils were like pinpoints. Bob called and Nick and Len were expected at the 5th floor.

Alan was near the metal drug cabinet and was going through a drawer when Angie found him. He said he was only putting the chart Len and Nick forgot in the rack.

In the 5th floor, Bob showed Len and Nick the cabinet door was forced. Bob asked Nurse Hansen not to mention his phone call to the police but asked Len and Nick to get in touch with each floor supervisor as someone was after narcotics.

#4132 – Tuesday, July 11th 1967

At West Side auto, Eunice told Stu that Patti got a wire indicating that Jo would be back home. Eunice added she tried to convince Len but Stu said he hadn’t heard from him. Eunice didn’t understand Len as he came to Henderson to to work out his relationship with his father. Stu said Andrea poisoned Len’s mind about Sam. Stu decided to call Len himself at the hospital. Patti picked up at the nurses’ station and Stu asked her to tell Len to call him back.

In the nurses’ station, Patti told Len that Walter would be back in two weeks. Len tried to offer Patti a date before Walter was back but she declined. Patti told Len to call Stu back before he left. Patti told Angie she shoudn’t leave her alone with Len. Angie felt kind of sorry for Len. Meanwhile, in the linen room, Alan pulled out a little bottle, took out two pills and popped them into his mouth.

Patti found Alan searching through her purse. Alan threatened Patti with a screwdriver to get the cabinet key. Sam arrived in time to save Patti. He lunged at Alan but Alan hurt Sam with the screwdriver. He stole morphine before fleeing. Sam collapsed into Patti’s arms.

#4133 – Wednesday, July 12th 1967

At West Side auto, Eunice told Stu that Patti had called her and told her that Len would phone Stu after the party for Sam was over. Stu said Jo’s presence would be a good thing, even if Len wasn’t. Stu wondered if there was still some hope for Sam and Jo. Eunice called Dr. Rogers to tell him his car was ready and she learned from his secretary that Sam had been stabbed.

Nick emerged from surgery telling Patti that Sam had survived but was still in big trouble. Nick felt guilty as he had noticed Alan’s pupils and should have realized he was dangerous. Patti also felt guilty as Sam was wounded while he tried to protect her. Len arrived and Nick told him his father had been stabbed. Nick explained that Alan Smith, the crazy kid porter, was forcing Patti to open the drug cabinet when Sam interrupted. Patti was shocked Len showed some compassion while Sam couldn’t hear while he had been waiting for years for Len to show some affection. Bob emerged from surgery and said Sam was still critical. He ordered Patti to get some sleep.

#4134 – Thursday, July 13th 1967

Nick phoned Emily and told her he couldn’t join her for dinner as Sam had been stabbed. Meanwhile, Rogers and Patti were in Sam’s room when Nick joined them. Sam started talking. Patti noticed he was repeating the words he said to Alan before being stabbed, begging Patti to do what Alan said. Bob urged Patti to get some booster.

Patti came upon Stu in the hospital corridor. She told him she had to hurry and that Sam was critical. Nick gave Sam the hypo. Sam was having delirium, mumbling about his departure from Henderson. Sam finally calmed down.

In the hospital corridor, Jo had joined Stu. She had learned when her plane arrived. Patti arrived and told her mother that doctors took out part of his pancreas. Patti told Jo she caught the new porter searching through the cabinet and he nearly stabbed her with a screwdriver before Sam arrived. She added Sam wanted her to do as Alan wanted but Patti tried to outsmart Alan. That’s why Sam was hurt. She felt so guilty.

#4135 – Friday, July 14th 1967

In the waiting room, Jo was drinking coffee Angie had brought her. Stu arrived and told Jo the police hadn’t found Alan yet. Eunice joined. She told Stu she had called everybody to help Marge cancelling the party. Jo went for a walk and Stu explained Eunice what happened. Stu worried for Jo who seemed numb but Eunice noticed that Sam saved Patti’s life.

When Jo came back, Stu had left to phone Marge. Eunice told her sister that according to Patti, Dr. Mandell stopped the hemorrhaging. Jo remembered a time last month when she told Bob she was relieved Sam would be leaving Henderson.

Patti, Bob and Angie were in Sam's room. Angie thought should have a break. Sam opened his eye and asked Bob if Patti was okay. Patty thanked Sam for saving her life before he slipped off again. Jo and Stu entered. Patti told them Sam had regained consciousness for a few minutes and told her he was sorry he spoiled the farewell party.

• Members

So Patti was heavily involved with Walter. This is something I've never seen mentioned in synopses. Walter was played by Douglass Watson (Mac AW) He was around 45 at the time so they were going with Patti falling for an older man.

Wonder what happened to break them up? There was also mention of Steve who I guess was Walter's son. Maybe he was opposed to the romance, or was interested in Patti?Patti finally wed Len in 69.

• Members

#4136 – Monday, July 17th 1967

In the hospital corridor, Eunice told Stu that Jo wanted to be alone. Eunice remembered how she tried to seduce Sam for months until he told her she was the wrong sister for him. She said Sam gave her back her dignity. They joined Jo in the waiting room. Stu told Marge would be coming as soon as she could find a babysitter. Jo felt guilty to have run away from Henderson before the planned party. Stu assured her that if they planned another farewell for Sam, Jo would be welcome. Eunice told Jo that she had told Sam she would be there for the party even if she was arriving last minute.

Patti appeared. She told Jo, Eunice and Stu she was looking for oxygen because Sam could have trouble breathing if the wound might have touched the lung.

Patti also told Len about the most recent developments. She thought Len should visit his father. Len wondered how he could wipe out 20 years.

#4137 – Tuesday, July 18th 1967

At the Nurses’ station, Nick complained to Angie about his long day of work. Angie told him that Mr. Bergman and Mrs. Tate were still there. Nick phoned Emily and told her Sam was still critical and that the man who stabbed Sam still hadn’t been found. To light Nick up, Emily told him that Libby had sat up.

Eunice visited Len in the fish lab. He was trying to reach Andrea because she would like to know what happened to Sam. Len admitted he had tried to hate his father for 20 years. Eunice told Len that Sam was a decent man and decent men didn’t change. Why did he leave his six-year-old twins alone at night in a burning house then ? cried Len. Eunice was sure there was an answer. Len didn’t think he could find out, except maybe from Andrea.

Stu was ready to go back home but Jo told him she would stay at the hospital. Stu remembered how Sam entered their life, as a big business executive while he, Stu, was a little guy who peddled automobile for a living. He remembered the shake up at Basic Enterprises when it seemed Stu would lose West Side Auto. Sam had bought half of the business and Stu was on the clear. That’s when Stu knew he had found a friend. Stu told Jo that Sam was a lot like Arthur.

After Stu left, Jo talked with Dr. Rogers. Jo admitted she felt ashamed because Sam saved Patti’s life while she made Sam’s life a hell. Angie then called Bob from Sam’s room.

#4138 – Wednesday, July 19th 1967

At Angie’s urging, Bob went to Sam’s room. Patti told him Sam seemed to have regained consciousness. Sam asked if Len had visited him. Bob said not yet. Patti assured Sam he would be better soon. Sam asked about Alan but Bob said he hadn’t been arrested yet. Sam felt sad for the young junkie who was just scared. He also asked to call Horton Wiley to tell him he would be delayed.

Len joined Jo in the waiting room. He told her Eunice visited him in the lab before going home. Patti arrived, said Sam regained consciousness for a while and thought Len had visited him. Bob came from Sam’s room and told everyone that the surgeons made a good job but Sam was not safe yet. The phone rang. It was Walter trying to reach Patti.

On the phone, Walter told Patti he learned from a telegram that Sam had been stabbed. Patti told him that Sam saved his life. Walter mentionned Steve was getting better and he should be home in a week. Meanwhile, Bob asked Len if he tried to reach Andrea in Paris. Bob thought she should be there. In private, Jo told Patti she felt very sorry for Len and Patti admitted she felt the same as her mother.

#4139 – Thursday, July 20th 1967

Jo was finally back home. She told Eunice that Patti was on the phone with Walter. She told her sister that Walter already phoned Patti at the hospital, the moment was awkward as Patti was all joy as Walter would be coming home soon just as Len was looking at her, very sad. Eunice told Jo about a visit to Len in the lab – how Len said he tried to be friends with Sam. She said Len was still fighting his brother Jamie’s death.

Nick was also back home but he told Emily he would have to go back to the hospital at a point. Emily said that the night and weekend duties were a burden. She thought they should borrow some money from Bob to see it through until Nick started private practice. Nick assured he would get straightened financially. Emily was fed up Nick would never hear what she advised.

Bob was on the phone with Lt. Johnny Hall. He hadn’t arrested Alan yet. Len arrived, he told Bob he wasn’t successful at getting in touch with Andrea yet. He asked Len to visit Sam but Len wanted to wait. Bob entered Sam’s room. Angie said there was no change. Sam was mumbling about how lonely he was.

#4140 – Friday, July 21st 1967

At the Bergmans’, Stu and Marge noticed how big Junior had become. After Marge put Junior to bed, Stu called Nick but Sam’s situation was still the same. Marge and Stu talked about Jo felt. She probably regretted the hard times she gave Sam the last few months.

Eunice brought Jo a sandwich but she wasn’t hungry. Jo ironically remarked that all she didn’t like in Sam – being stubborn, too strong – might be what could save his life. Patti arrived. Eunice told her about Len but Patti didn’t want to think of it. She couldn’t forgive Len for what he put her through. She felt sad for him with what happened to Sam but she didn’t want it to clear her judgement. After Patti rushed out from the room, Jo and Eunice remarked Len was still an important part of her life and they hoped Walter realized that.

Bob dropped at the Tates’. He told Jo and Eunice that Len finally visited his father. He said that Sam was having some delirium and complained about Len so it was not a good time for the visit. The phone rang. It was the hospital : Sam was hemorrhaging again.

#4141 – Monday, July 24th 1967

At the hospital, Patti visited Kitty Allen who had just delivered a baby girl, Jenny. Kitty told Patti that Stu came with her husband Bill and told her about what happened to Sam. Patti said she would tell Sam baby Jenny was born.

At the nurses’ station, Nick told Len that Sam hemorrhaged again last night but he pulled through for the moment. Patti tried to apologize to Len for what she told him in the waiting room but he didn’t want to listen to her.

After Len left, Nick told Patti she was right to apologize but Len was not willing to hear anything at the moment. Patti was sure Len was afraid it was too late to undo the past. Nick said Len had lost Patti and might lose Sam no matter what their relation was. He had all reasons to be scared.

Outside Sam’s hospital room, Len was going through his thoughts. Why did Sam leave him and Jamie alone the night of the fire ? Why did Sam still refuse to tell him where he was ? Len prayed because he was acting as Sam’s judge. He still felt some love for Sam. Len received a phone call from Madame Tilliard, a French friend of Andrea’s. She was living in Andrea’s building in Paris and she learned from the concierge that Len was trying to reach Andrea. She told Len that Andrea left town two weeks ago but she didn’t know much more. Len told Bob the news and seemed worried about his mother.

#4142 – Tuesday, July 25th 1967

In Sam’s room, a nurse told Bob that Sam was restless. Bob assured Sam he had talked to Horton Wiley about his delay and it was all fine. He also told Sam that Jo was back in town and that Alan hadn’t been arrested yet. He mentioned Len came to see him but went for a walk.

Len had arrived in the Tate backyard where Eunice was shelling the beans. He talked with Eunice who was very sorry about what he told her about his past in the lab. Len couldn’t understand why Sam didn’t explain his absence the night Jamie died. He added he probably made Sam pay enough and Andrea was nowhere to be reached.

Eunice went inside and noticed Patti was expecting a call from Walter. Eunice told her Len went to talk and Patti felt offended Len kept coming there. Eunice said that Len realized the extend of his rejection of Sam. Walter finally called. He told Patti his return would be delayed as doctors wanted Steve to undergo another surgery. Patti couldn’t believe it.

When Len was back at the hospital, he was told that Sam wanted to see him but Bob told him that Sam was in paid and was given some sedative.

#4143 – Wednesday, July 26th 1967

Despite Sam being on sedative, Len decided to enter Sam’s room. Meanwhile, at the Bergmans, Stu was working on a contract and wished Sam was here to help him. He wished Sam could have left Henderson before this drug addict stabbed him. Marge said Sam was only taking this new job as an excuse. Stu was sure Sam could have overwhelmed Jo who was confused after Arthur’s death. Marge wondered how Jo would react when she realized the man she rejected saved her daughter’s life.

Eunice told Jo about Walter’s phone call and she had the impression Patti was relieved Walter wouldn’t be back. Jo admitted Patti seemed to be more positive about Len than Walter lately. Eunice told Jo about her talk with Len, about how Len and Jamie idolized Sam before the fire. Then, Len turned all his affection to Andrea. Jo told her sister that Len was truly the man in Patti’s life before Andrea came back into his life, robbed Patti blind and stole Len away from her.

Sam opened his eyes. Bob left Sam and Len alone. Len wanted to talk with Sam.

#4144 – Thursday, July 27th 1967

Stu called Bob to know if he and Marge could come and visit Sam but Bob said it was not a good idea for the moment.

In their apartment, Nick and Emily were playing with little Libby. Len called and told Nick he was needed in a moment at the hospital. Emily was still upset Nick refused to borrow money from her dad. She didn’t understand why Nick wanted their life to be difficult until he could start private practice. Nick assured he didn’t want to start their life with debts. Before Nick left for the hospital, the phone rang. A man said « oh » and hung up.

At the hospital, Bob and Len were in Sam’s room when Patti gave him some aspirin. His pain seemed to ease a little.

Outside Sam’s room, Len told Patti he saw his dad the night before but they couldn’t talk much. Bob said he prefered Sam not to have visits at the moment because he needed to get use to the new sedative. Len got angry as he felt he was restrained from his father. He knew he lost years but he still wanted to see him.

#4145 – Friday, July 28th 1967

Outside Sam’s room, Len told Nick that Sam was not conscious yet. Nick expected pulmonary problems. Len remembered a discussion he had with Sam in February about Walter Haskins. Len had asked Sam to talk with Patti about her relationship with this middle-forty head of the lawyer committee for the fun drive. Sam had refused, told Len that Patti was ready to be his wife but he had chosen Andrea. Back to reality, Len decided he had to talk to Eunice.

In the Tates’ living room, Eunice was on phone with Stu who was worried about Sam. Patti was expecting a call from Walter but when the phone rang, it was Len. He invited Eunice for a walk because he needed to talk. Eunice asked how Sam was. Len answered how mixed he felt about Sam and finally decided the walk was not a good idea and hung up. Patti told Eunice she would go find Len during his walk.

Nick called Emily from the hospital and told her he would be late. Emily answered that sounded familar to her. When the phone rang again, Emily apologized to Nick but it wasn’t Nick. A man laughed at her and asked Emily if she missed him. Emily called him Cal and was shocked. She realized he already called the day before. Cal said he was still thinking very much of his wife. He made it clear to Emily he knew where she lived. She begged him to forget about her and she hung up, trembling.

Does anyone know about Cal Foster and Emily Rogers Hunter ? I didn't find much about this storyline. I wondered if Libby was really Nick's daughter, or maybe Cal's.

• Members

Re Cal/Emily

Slick has - Cal Foster...Colgate Salsbury...66-68 married man, +Emily H.

Now from what are learning from other sources, those dates may be off. Either Cal was on earlier and Cal was coming back, or this was his first appearance. 

And what happened to Libby? Did Nick take her when Emily died in 1973?

At this point it seems Louise Shaffer had just taken over as Emily and Ken Kercheval was Nick.

Andrea being offscreen must have been when Virginia Gilmore left to take up a teaching position. Lesley Woods was her replacement and debuted when Andrea returned, probably in a few weeks.

And Kitty Allen appeared whereas slick has the Allens on in 1966.

Always something new to discover.