Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks. The only real details I can add is that Grace had a brain tumor. It would definitely seem like Grace is pregnant as Len and Patti have just married and Grace is entertaining the proposal from an old flame. It's interesting that the thread regarding the paternity of the baby was allowed to go on for as long as it did, but maybe "Search for Tomorrow" was trying to do its own Mike Horton/David Banning style paternity plot. 

I'm thinking that "Search for Tomorrow" chose a different route when they expanded to an hour. Instead of fleshing out the canvas with long term characters in stories, they may have pushed for more issue based or short term story arcs the way some of the radio soaps use to do where a character came in to play a story and then exited with there being some impact on the mainstays, but while the core stories played out their own pace while the sub stories kept things moving. 

• Members

I didn't realize it took Len and Patti about 5 years to be married. For some reason I thought they had married a few years earlier.

Apparently after the famous trial where Sam was accused of attempted murder of Andrea (when in fact she was trying to poison him but the drinks were mixed up) Len freaked out when the truth of Andrea's deception came out and he left medicine.He went to work in a factory and meet Grace and went to bed with her. She became pregnant but died , possibly from a brain tumor.

Jo was involved and realized that Len was the father of Grace's child, causing her to lose control of her car and crash. This was the Friday cliffhanger that Search cooked up to stop viewers turning to ABC for the March 1970 premiere of A World Apart. Irna Phillips sent them a 'bravo' telegram for that move.

Anyway, Patti had had another miscarriage and was becoming pill addicted to cope. Jo and Len arranged for he and Patti to adopt Chris, without Patti knowing he was Len's child.

Schemerings book says Grace died in childbirth in California , but doesn't explain how the baby made it back to Henderson. Maybe Len was at the birth?

I don't think Patti ever found out about the paternity. 

As we have learned as synopses such as these come to light , the summaries in books are sometimes off with timelines or wrong with story points.

Hopefully French Fan's future synopses will help,

• Members

Ok. I'm trying to piece some of this together. @Paul Raven Thanks for what you've added. During the trial, it came out that Andrea was responsible for the death of Len's twin brother Jamie who died while Andrea was committing adultery, correct? I could see how that would be pretty life altering because Len had been poisoned against Sam for years and then learned that his mother was the true problem. 

It's interesting that based on what it is said, Jo learns about the paternity on March 27th, 1970, so the secret comes out to someone fairly quickly. I'm wondering if Grace did decide to go off to be with Bill Frazier or at least claimed he was the father and either joined him or claimed she was joining him. I'd offer up to other possibilities for how the baby got back: either cousin Harriet brought the child back or possibly Dr. Bob Rogers since he appears close. 

• Members

This is what I have if it helps for the 60's and 70's

Frank & Doris Hursley - Dec 30, 1957 - June 05, 1964

Julian Funt & David Lesan - First mentioned in Jul 66 but could have taken over from the Hursley's and were still mentioned as HW in Feb 1968

Leonard Kanter & Doris Frankel - No start date I could find only mention was Aug 1970

Lou Scofield - Mentioned in Nov 1970

Robert Soderberg, Edith Sommer, Ralph Ellis, Eugenie Hunt - The Ellis' script archive mentions Feb 17, 1971 until Dec 25, 1973 but the Soderbergs were there for at least the first few months

Theodore Apstein - Dec 26, 1973 - Sep 02, 1974

Ann Marcus - Sep 03, 1974 - Nov 1975 (Likely around Nov 21)

Peggy O'Shea - Nov 1975 - Dec 10, 1976

Irving Elman & tex Avery - Their script archive suggests Dec 13, 1976 - Aug 05, 1977

Robert Shaw - Aug 08, 1977 - Mar 1978

Henry Slesar - Mar 1978 - Sep 1978

The Corringtons - Sep 1978 - May 09, 1980

Linda Grover & John Porterfield - May 12, 1980 - Mar 1981

Harding Lemay - Mar - May 1981

Don Chastain - May - Dec 81

John Burnett & Millie Taggart - Dec 81 - Jan 82

Ralph Ellis & Eugenie Hunt - Jan 82 - Dec 82

Edited by will81

• Members

Script from June 30th is from Kantor with Doris Frankel so he was HW at this point. Earlier in the year, scripts from February are from Robert Newman, David Lesan & Doris Frankel. Don't know at which point Kantor became HW (between March and June).

Script from Oct. 15th is still from Kantor with Frankel. Script from Nov. 3rd is from Lou Scofield with Doris Frankel so Scofield probably took over in late October.