ATWT: September Discussion

• Members

Today's funeral episode was fantastic in my opinion. For the first time in a long time I enjoyed Howarth as Paul. I know I've complained that this latest James story was for just for laughs but the dark humor used today was top-notch and I liked the catfight between Audrey and Barbara. No wonder Eve went crazy if she's the spawn of Audrey! Lots of historical references used today, including the rarely referenced relationship between James and Emily as well as Paul and Emily being together back then. Actually I think this go-around of a Paul and Emily pairing seems better than the last.

Also loved the Tom and Margo scenes, both were top-notch as well and enjoyed the historical references used as well. It's interesting that through all the trials, tribulations, affairs etc. Tom and Margo have managed to stay married for over twenty-five years now whereas the normal leading soap couple marry and divorce every chance they get.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So after a bit of a sabattical (I haven't watched since Maura went on maternity leave), I re-set my DVR to start recording ATWT again. Partly because of CZP's hyping it at the Emmys and partly to prepare for

Anyway, my thoughts:

"Bring it Bitch!" OMG! Though I could never hear Babs saying that to anyone, man did CZP nail that line. Fabuloso.

Why is Alison still on this show? She has to be the wettest blanket ever to have stepped foot in Oakdale. It's disappointing because I LOVED Jessica Dunphy and her mischievous take on the role. But Marnie Schulenberg has the charm of a mule and the charisma of a tree. At least cut your losses with this chick & re-cast. And man, the number she's done on Billy Magnussen- the difference! Bring back NuJade for Casey stat because boy is sleepwalking through those scenes and who could blame him?

So when I left off, Riley had just revealed himself to Margo & Casey as Adam and both were keeping his secret. I'm actually quite impressed that just as I return, the secret is being outed. Nice pacing there- when I checked out, I fully expected Riley to be redeemed, spent time in jail, released, and graduated nursing school by now. And we all know that's not an exaggeration.

I like that they finally killed James for good.......or have they? This all seems too convenient for me right now. Either way, I like the major players in the storyline so I'm willing to give it a chance. Plus I LOVE that the writers have finally gotten a clue & put Paul back with Emily. Howarth seems to have some life again now that they've pulled him out of Meg's orbit. Plus, RH & KMH are an embarassment of chemistry. Period.

Overall, the show is still uneven, but a better start than I was expecting.

• Members

Lots of good dialogue today. Great odes to history in nearly every conversation. THAT is what this show should be 24/7.

FLOVED the funeral. LMFAO at Audrey crying for "Jimmy" and Babs rolling her eyes the whole time.

Color me speechless. I'm slowly starting to buy RH as Paul. But I'm sure TAIC'll screw it up and he'll be his usual nerve-grating self again in no time.

:wub: seeing CZP again!

Kind of OT, but I just got done watch a multitude of old ATWT promo's from the 90's all the way up until 2003 or so. Not only were promos so well done back then, but the stories were actually gripping!! One particular clip of (Jessica Dunphy as...) Alison slamming Babs to the ground really made me miss Jess in the role. :(

Juniorz, I agree ten times over with everything you said!!! (Minus the Marnie part. True, she's no Jessica, but she's "okay".)

Also wanted to add how much I liked the nod to BH when Margo talked to Hal's picture. Adam's last second glance at Margo talking to Hal's picture made me wonder if all these newcomers know what a tremendous void Hendrickson left behind after his passing. :(

And lastly, Kelly...the surprises haven't stopped yet. :D

• Members

Wow just caught today's (errr yesterdays) show. Totally hilarious! Audrey is indeed my new favorite character, which is...somewhat creepy to me. It's nice that Pem are trying to get their s**t together, because I have always thought in the back of my head they seemed like essentially the same people, both pretty damaged. Interestingly enough, the minute Paul and Meg shared the same air space the other day, I instantly hated it. Paul seems much more tolerable with Emily.

• Members

Yesterday's show was alright. Loved seeing Meg alone for once. The tree ceremony for Holden was rather sweet, but gah...Faith really needs to tell someone else what she saw! Also, as disturbing as it is to see Damian insinuating himself into Lily's family...I don't think it's completely intentional. To some part, I think it has to do with the fact, that he lost out on having a family of his own and he's now finally grasping at that chance. Holden & Maeve have way more chemistry than Lily & Holden even though Holden's current story still sucks.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy today's show but I thought the funeral scenes were hilarious! I thought it was funny when Paul asked if that was really James in the casket and the funeral director said, "I sure hope so" and Paul laughed, saying, "Is that supposed to be some sort of joke? Because it's actually really funny!" :lol: CZP was fantabulous in this episode! I love Babs in bitch mode!

I, too, dislike Marnie Schulenberg's Alison. She has zero spunk compared to Jessica Dunphy's Ali. I mean, I don't hate MS in the role...but I could care less if she stayed or went.

The part where Margo spoke to Hal about Adam while looking at his picture was a nice surprise.

• Members

Sadly, what sort of sparked my watching was re-watching an old episode from 2005. There was Jenn pregnant, Mike cheating on her with Katie, Gwen pregnant and full of angst......there was so much that I enjoyed back then. ATWT was my top soap for quite a while- I couldn't WAIT to see it every day. I believe somewhere in 2007 is where it all went downhill for me. Thursday's episode did show promise.

Oh come on, Dusty. She's terrible. And it's a HUGE stretch to believe that all these men in Oakdale find her so fascinating. I simply don't understand her appeal. Maybe because she has none.

I forgot to mention that but I enjoyed that nod to history as well. There is a huge hole in the canvas where Hal Munson used to be. I remember watching during the 2000s and every episode BH appeared in was elevated by his very presence. He truly was a gifted thespian and is still very much missed.

• Members

Uh, Mark Collier, my guilty hunk pleasure, the most perfect looking man on soaps who doenst act like a typical girly-boy metrosexual soap "stud" will be back. Damn, I was giving up soaps after being tortured by GL for so long but I will have to come back.

• Members

I hate feeling like the wet blanket, but for the most part, I thought the funeral was ridiculous. Yeah, I loved some of the dialogue nods to history, but for me, the problem is Lynn Herring's Audrey being the focus of the story. (I don't find her funny in the least. Not. the. least.) And the fact James' demise should be affecting more than that tiny group of people.

• Members

I love her, but she should not be the one to kill James off. Barbara or Margot deserve that. Hell, even Emily or Paul should get to do the deed over a new character, but since James isn't really dead it doesn't matter that Audry is one of many who thought they killed him.

• Members

I don't mind her "killing" James (I get the feeling he was expecting it anyway...) 'cause I don't believe he's dead either. I'm annoyed beyond belief that she's 75% of the focus of the story. It's Audrey spinning Henry like a top, Audrey kidnapping lawyers, Audrey wiggling her ass around town....UGH, I just want to throttle her. :angry: And contrary to spin, it's not because I believe the writer or the actress is "doing such a good job of making me hate her". I want to choke the life out of her to stop this insanely insipid story.

This story would be twice as good with HALF as much Audrey.

I'm also annoyed that this is another Sheffer-esque "dark humor" story. I grew up with James-as-the-Devil stories, reducing him to some cariacture---some toothless, impotent idiot----Doug Marland's probably drinking tequila shots in heaven right now, seeing how his gothic villian's been comically defanged by a writer not fit to shine his shoes.

Archived