ATWT: September Discussion

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah---pretty much spent the entire episode wishing Janet would shut the [!@#$%^&*] up. I'm really trying to wrap my head around Janet's convienent moral code. Sleeping around, premarital sex, coveting another's husband, and birth control seem to be okay for "good Catholics"...but an abortion is not.

Not to mention, I seem to recall Janet being cool with Luke and Noah's relationship.

But I guess I have to agree somewhat---I was glad Teri stood her ground with Janet.

I was even more disappointed by Rosanna's apology to Craig. Or make that their one-sided apologies, where Craig got varnished in another layer of sainthood, while Rosanna clearly got all gooey-eyed at his "sacrifice" for Libby.

I almost enjoyed the entire James saga today. I have a feeling the story turned a bit, where Audrey's finally the villian (in a situation where normally Oakdale would throw a parade) and everyone realizes it. I will admit--untortured, sardonic but sane Paul is a little fun. And go Babs! I don't care about the money/inheritance aspect of it, but it seems to me she's the only one capable of saving Henry's ass in this.

• Members

I KNEW you would get at least some kind of enjoyment out of it lol I didn't so much have a problem with Janet's hypocrisy because it was more than a little realistic, IMO. I just wished that Teri would have brought up the things you did and threw them in her face to see what her response would be. I can fault Janet for not wanting Liberty to get an abortion, but I think she should get from behind the "we're Catholic!" reasoning and explain her true feelings.

• Members

I go back and forth on Teri---but today I was back on her side. I only wish she'd shut Janet up with a well-placed "are you serious, you slut?" comment. Janet's piety in this situation is grating. If I hear her say one more time "I don't regret having Libby", when she clearly has and does...I may explode. If they're going to be honest, then I want Janet and Lib to have a no-holds barred, knock-down, brutally honest conversation where Libby gets to say---"I'm going to pursue my dreams, and right now those don't include being a mother. Please stop telling me you don't regret not pursuing your other dreams; just admit that deep down, as much as you may love me, you wish you'd waited to become one yourself." Sure---I'd love to hear Libby call Janet a slut to her face, but that "privilege" seems to be reserved for Carly's children.

• Members

Janet is such a hypocritical witch. Still I actually liked today's scenes between Teri and Janet showing off Janet's flaws for once.

I also liked the James scenes

Still nevertheless I've started to warm to the character of Audrey although I don't see her going further than playing the role of comedic villaness ala Vivian Alamain.

• Members

Yeah, but wishing you had waited to get pregnant is not the same as wishing you had had an abortion when you did get pregnant, so I don't see Janet as a hypocrite in this situation or even dishonest. Either way, one might have certain regrets. That's especially true if she holds the opinion that abortion is murder (which I find ridiculous), but if that is her position, I don't think that premarital sex or even birth control really compares to that.

I'm adamantly pro choice IRL, but on soaps abortion leaves me kind of cold. It's the end of drama and mostly pretty pointless, unless the women ends up getting "punished" (by going nuts or feeling deep regret), which I really hate. This story is already grating on my last nerve, since I can't quite figure out why Craig is involved in this. Why the hell would he care what Liberty does or bother helping her? :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, I am full behind Liberty having an abortion. The idea of a 9 month pregnancy/aftermath story for Libby is my nightmare. I think it would have me rooting for cancellation.

• Members

I actually thought the Janet/Teri conversations was one of the most realistic faith/issue conversations I'd seen on daytime--it did ring true in terms of abortion being a black and white issue for Janet, even with all her history and feelings on things like Nuke or whatever--it also to me shined light on why she did keep Liberty.

I thought Meredith Hagner did amazing, and am looking forward to this playing out--seems like it's going to be a better story than the instant abortion of Lulu on GH.

I agree with you PJ on the James storyline--it's just fun for me to watch too. I like Audrey as the villian in all of this and seriously the Audrey/Barbara fights are the most fun ever.

Too bad todays already looks bad from the preview.

• Members

I had mixed feeling on LuLu's abortion. On the one hand, I thought it was pretty realistic. In the sense that she had the abortion and it was over, except when Maxie threw it in her face a few times, which pissed me off. At least they didn't send her to Roselawn, but as I said it was an end to any possible drama and more or less pointless, imo. Also, it annoys me that neither Lulu nor Libby seem to have heard of the abortion pill. Libby is a few weeks along, all she needed to do was pop a few pills in the comfort of her own home.

I guess my real issue here is that I don't think abortion is a very dramatic thing and it annoys me when shows try to ramp up the drama in ways that are unrealistic, such as people bursting into the room where a procedure is about to be performed. Libby is 17 years old, she should have been able to pull this off with no one being the wiser. The entourage to Chicago was just :blink:

I like Janet, so I hope she sticks around, after the inevitable CarJack reunion. but I'm hoping Libby goes to college far, far away. I have mixed feeling on Teri. I think she's ok, but I need her to stop tilting her head and doing that doe eyed pleading look thing she does.

Lord, help me, I'm actually enjoying Pem, but I usually do when they start. Then one of them will start acting all out psycho and it's ruined again...and again.

• Members

Well...not in my version of the imaginary argument. :D What I really wish is that LibbyLou would morph into Emily for about 24 hours, unload on her previously slutty mother, and blame every bad decision she's ever made to her lousy upbringing from a teenage mother who treated her like a friend, not a daughter.

ICAM. I think it's ridiculous. I hate the continual praise of Craig--Rosanna's speech yesterday made me want to hurl. I don't think he'd have gotten involved if he hadn't initially thought Parker was the father, making it some "extension" of his "duty" to Carly's children. *eyeroll*

Full term pregnancies only last about four months on this show now. If Libby gives birth, I clearly expect it to be a Christmas/newBabyJesus birth.

• Members

Obviously I love the PEm pretty and lots of lovin', but what I'm really liking lately is that they are actually writing them TALKING about stuff.

Today, Paul actually brought up the Meg issue (and it was brought up before), and how him wanting to connect with Eliza might affect his and Em's relationship.

Color me happily surprised.

• Members

Oh me too. this St. Craig crap needs to end ASAP. There was a time I actually enjoyed Craig, but not this version. Rosanna forgiving Craig or apologizing to him for any reason makes me sick. Plus I hate the way Rosanna (and even Janet) were dumbed down to make Craig look like some sort of hero. Anyone with half a brain would have realized that Libby is the one who needed an abortion.

• Members

The time and energy TIIC have invested in "redeeming" Craig stupifies me. This show has blithely marched past each and every one of Craig's previous "shenanigans" which include marrying Babs and embezzling from her, purposely speeding up Sierra's husband's death and then letting everyone believe he had been behind Lucy's kidnapping, kidnapping not one, but TWO of his own children, murdering his accomplice in cold blood, trying to murder Dusty and Paul more than once each and sundry other infringements upon the law (in addition to being a ROYAL pain in the ass, even when he was behaving...). And with all of that, all Craig ever got in the way of "punishment" is a year in jail (after Block was fired) which he still claims to this day was unfuggin'justified, and Sierra's throwing him in a monastery.

And now he's become some patron Saint of Oakdale teenagers? GMAFuggin'B!! It's almost laughable, that Craig is reduced to proving his worth to Carly by watching over the under18 populace of the town. I almost expect him to swoop in at Lily's, take one look at Faith and ask "what's making you sad? Uncle Craigy's here to make all your troubles disappear." *eyeroll*

And yet...not one word has he breathed to his sister, who's hiding her son-with-a-reconstructed-face in her own home.

Archived