August 10-14, 2009

Toups

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was doing some catching up on news reports on GL and one of the articles stuck out to me and it was surfaced back in June. That P&G intentionally ran Guiding Light into the ground to get out of the television business and focus more on their products. I have to see this is as true due to the fact that both GL and ATWT are the only soaps to be cancelled before 2011. Most of these soaps could've easily been saved for another two years or more like ABC's drastic move to save costs to move to LA, OLTL to move to their studio, Sony's Y&R and DAYS to cut costs and secure liscences with their networks.

Both GL and ATWT could've still been around past 2010 even if they were on their last legs. It was the handlers on the show that intentionally ran it into the ground. I knew all along there was something weird about that. What made it even more weird was the fact that GL couldn't find a network. I think they could've easily found a network even a limited one. I was also reading that they might've not even tried to find a home at all which I believe. With DAYS looking likely to be axed before any of these soaps just two years ago, it was saved b/c they were able to cut costs and Sony still values it to keep it around.

I'm sad that GL is leaving the airwaves just like everybody else but I still have hope that the show will air in some capacity in the near future. I believe somebody is going to step up and save this show. My idea is maybe having one of these parent companies pick it up after it airs its final episode. Since Sony seems to value their soaps b/c they do very well for them worldwide, why not have Sony pick up both GL and ATWT in a package and distribute them the same way?

• Members

ABC owns their soaps. CBS doesn't own GL or ATWT. There is not the same synergy. If CBS wants done with these shows they will happily cancel them. P&G has little say. I don't have a hard time believing no other networks wanted GL. Only DirectTV took Passions, which was supposed to be a much hipper, youth demo soap, and look how long that lasted.

Considering the persistent rumors that OLTL will be gone within a few years, and how ABC has let AMC and GH fall completely into the trash heap, I can't bring myself to praise them.

• Members

Hmm...only one page of ratings talk? That's unusual. Are we really that uninterested these days.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this thread didn't have five pages of people calling for Toups to finish dinner and post...snark

• Members

What I find wierd is the notion that P&G needed a reason to get out of the television business, if they wanted out all they need to do is get out they don't need an excuse. Also I find it hard to believe that finding another network for any soap is going to be easy, the emmy's couldn't even get anyone to broadcast them and that is one day. No network or cable is going to pick up a soap not in this day and age and not with the genre dying out anyway.

I also doubt Sony cares much for their soaps they make their money in electronics, tv is just something they dabble in and they have Y&R and B&B for their playthings they don't need any other soap or probably have the desire to keep the genre alive it is all dollars and cents to them

• Members

I gotta agree with BlueLick, I read that article too and it does sound like they burned GL to the ground on purpose. The least P&G could've done was search for a buyer to takeover the soap instead of a network. Networks are not going to invest in a franchise that the studios don't care about. I gotta agree too that they would still be around past 2011 if they had a different studio running them.

Don't forget that economics had a lot to do with CBS making the move this year instead of next year.

Sony doesn't own B&B so that's not a problem for them. I read an article when Y&R got renewed a couple of weeks ago where Sony still values their two soaps which is why DAYS is still around today because they have worldwide value. You guys can't just base every decision made with these shows off the US ratings. You got to look at what they do worldwide too, that's why even if these soaps are gone off of US television they will still be around in other countries because they do well there.

General Hospital is going to be huge in September man that carnival promo was creepy. I'm glad ABC still believes in their soaps.

• Members

Where is it written that P&G owes it to the public to keep airing soaps if they want out that is their choice and their decision since they are footing the bill, also how do you know they didn't try to sell the soap maybe no one was interested in buying a soap. If you haven't notice there are no new soaps in development quite the opposite the amounts of soaps are declining. I truly believe that the only reason why soaps are still on air is because the networks don't know what to do with that block of time.

• Members

I've never bought into the idea that anyone needs to kill soaps on purpose. It's the same theory some are spouting about AMC's move to LA. These are businesses. When they decide that a certain product is no longer profitable they stop making it. There's no need for a grand plan of destruction. Why blame on conspiracy and malice what can just as easily be explained by disinterest or incompetence.

Archived