Y&R: Potpourri Thread 2

• Members

Oh, I AGREE it's gross. Don't get me wrong here. I just don't see it as damaging to the foster child SL. Tyra came on canvas long AFTER the whole Foster child SL was done, resolved. Devon is not a teenager anymore, he's GROWN. And actually, the Lorie/ Mark Henderson SL was NOT over once they found out. Lorie did NOT want to end it, she didn't CARE he was her biological half brother. The only reason it ended is because HE refused. What does that say about Lorie? I just think Rowell is delusional thinking black women are responsible for the show's number one rating. I think they are a good PART of it, but still... a PART. The reason the Winters family is dessimated is because of HER. The same reason it dessimated the Brooks family when Bauer chose to leave. IF she had stayed, her "family" would have had much better opporotunnity to be front burner and to shine. But instead, what do you have left? Kristoff, is a good actor, but Neil is a boring, stuffy, windbag. and you ahve Kahlil as this spoiled bitch princess who couldn't carry heavy drama to save her life. The crucial ingredient in the family is GONE, and she is surprised the rest fell apart? really?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

EEK! Dear God, I don't want to think of BugEyes squirting her juice on anyone.

And technically, didn't Devon start lusting after his aunt BEFORE he found out they were not related? He stared an awfully long time at she and Neil at Indigo.

• Members

It is.

Two of the four women related to Devon have thrown themselves at him or his adoptive father because it was more important to TPTB to have a token minority couple no matter how vile than to treat their minority characters with any kind of dignity or integrity.

The foster child story was NOT resolved.

In fact TPTB were using it more until she realized Eva couldn't act & decided to ditch the character.

Being grown does NOT mean an individual's process of dealing with things is over.

Otherwise every adult in Genoa City would be well adjusted.

It WAS.

SHE wanted it & he didn't.

Hence it being OVER.

Nothing.

Anything that proves that racism exists & is pervasive in Daytime is "delusional"

The facts are there.

Studies have shown one of the main demographics that supports soaps are older lower income minorities.

A demo that advertisers could care less about.

Not a chance.

If that was the case The Newmans & Chancellors would be dessimated when MTS & JW almost quit.

Yet both families multiplied & got CONSTANT frontburner story.

Eh.

Kristoff is there.

Tonya is there.

Bryton is there.

Even Khalil is there.

TPTB CHOOSE not to write for them yet VR's responsible for the TPTB's decisions?

The fact that you don't like the actors/actresses or characters is NOT the point.

They are there & willing to act.

TPTB are NOT writing for them unless it's to continue to marginalize them or further humiliate them by expecting them to interpret the racist garbage they pen on a daily basis.

• Members

DeeDee, did you see the DG/CK "hot" modeling stuff on the Emmy show? I cringed (was he wearing a leather jacket?), and I thought of you and what you might say. :lol:

I'm not sure what it says about Y&R now that the only person with the show who won was CLB, who is barely on now.

• Members

Rowell started crying racism when SHE didn't get an Emmy nod in 2007. Neither did plenty of other deserving actresses, many of whom were white. And incidentally, that was the same year Bryton WON an Emmy. So I would have to agree than Rowell IS delusional.

• Members

Eh no.

She talked about racism & minority involvement in Daytime LONG before then.

The SAME Bryton who was ONLY nominated cause he was the ONLY actor from his show viable in that category & who's win even now is treated like a fluke.

You also think Tammin & Christel are good actresses. :rolleyes:

• Members

The reason I said I felt it was resolved is that Neil and Dru took him in, eventually adopted him, and now Neil is his FATHER, it's not as if his status as Neil's son is unsure or in limbo.

No, claiming that any one segment of the viewership is responsible for the show's success is..... and claiming you are responsible for the show going to number one , when it was number one a full 3 YEARS before you came is.

I'm sure, and this comes from Nielsen, who also mis-calculated the converter box coupon program by more than 8 millions viewers. And the advertizers could care less? Is this why we have all these commercials for Statin drugs, rheumatoid arthritis drugs, erectile dysfunction drugs, and overactive bladder drugs during the show? You think people in their 20's can't get it up, or have arthritis?

Because those families are structured differently. In the Winters family, Dru provided the SPARK, if you get rid of BOTH Jill and Kay, then the Chancellors would be dead in the water, too. Same for the Newmans if Nikki AND Victor were gone. You think Morrow and Heinle can carry the torch?

Tonya is there until someone else calls her, then she flakes out. You've seen Kristel's performances, would YOU be inspired to write for her? I'd be inspired to go to the drugstore and purchase some syrup of ipecac.

Or theyr'e phasing them out in order to bring in new blood. Just like the Brooks, Fosters, Willams, Prentiss, et. al got phased out. New actors, new family, cheaper salaries. But if Rowell comes back, will the show be sprinkled with fairy dust and suddenly not be racist anymore? And if they ARE racist, why would Rowell want to be associated with them?

• Members

It's not resolved.

Adoption & Foster stories rarely are.

Kendall Slater on AMC & Carly on GH are perfect examples.

But to give the Black characters incest as a means of keeping them marginalized is vile.

You don't want to deal with the existence & effects of racism on Daytime so you'll continue to deal in strawman arguments.

Unfortunately for advertisers, network-commissioned surveys have found that a large segment of the soap audience is poor, middle-aged African-American women. "That's definitely not the demo sponsors are targeting," says a network exec.

Even though she was the heart of the Winters Dru was NOT the only member of that family.

Three of which in Tonya, Kristoff & Bryton who ARE willing to work & at least one other in Shemar also willing to return.

Nope.

Even with Jill gone there still would've been almost 10 Chancellors on the canvas almost all of which given significant story.

And horrible acting for The Newmans aside even if they CAN'T "carry the torch" Victoria & Nick are still there.

Plus Sharon.

And Noah.

And Adam.

And Abby.

And Reed.

And Phyllis.

And JT.

And Summer.

Tonya is willing to work.

TPTB won't write for her.

That's NOT her fault.

We agree Khalil sucks.

But Lily is a whole other can of worms. lol

They're not.

They're marginalizing them as tokens & the idea that bringing on a new Black family is going to fix things won't work cause TPTB won't write for them either.

Nope.

Just like Nuke getting a kiss didn't mean Daytime was sprinkled with fairy dust & suddenly NOT homophobic.

Blaming the victim much?

What's next?

Blaming GH's actresses for Guza's sexism?

• Members

Wow. A little OT, aren't we? But I'll bite.

I think it's fairly obvious that people of color are not represented completely and fairly in all of daytime - not just Y&R. And yes, that IS racism.

And because Y&R used to be one of the few shows to feature an African-American family prominently for DECADES before MAB's "writing" team came on board, it's rightfully in the spotlight now for their sudden AWOL status.

Rowell is not delusional. She has the balls to say exactly what's going on in daytime today. And I think she should continue until something (hopefully) changes.

JMHMFO. :)

Archived