Y&R: Episode discussion for week of July 27

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish they wouldn't put him in a rivalry with Billy, because the "good" guy will always lose to the smarmy antihero.

They clearly love Billy but their love for him seems to manifest in ways which have wrecked the character. I think they belatedly realized how much damage has been done to him on various fronts (which is why the fling with Sharon no longer exists, why he suddenly sort of cares about his family, why he is now put into this business story). I think they are still going to try to keep Chloe as being truly in love with him and nothing with Chance will compare. I won't be surprised if the relationship with Mac goes on the sidelines.

• Members

And I happen to be biased towards the Newman kids and Victor so that's why I enjoyed that s/l lol.

It just doesn't make sense how in a span of months, Jack goes from a calculating, ruthless, and sensitive man to one who sleeps around with two different women in a span of an hour, who leaves his sister to be tortured in the residence of a man he abhors, and to repeatedly be used like a puppy dog by a woman who doesn't even love him.

By the end of next week, Sharon will cry for Jack's help and he'll fall into her poor me spell all over again.

I just don't know why tptb don't see the current pacing timeline as a problem. If people make decisons and change them in a couple days, how are we, the audience supposed to care about them? They become like robots, no longer going through the motions of what real RELATABLE humans go through.

I mean, if they want to continue to write these s/ls at such a rushed pace, ignoring all the basic emotional essence of each of them, then the only thing they can do is kill people. Death is the only equalizer; it makes sense why it occurs so often because they won't invest in the characters and it doesn't require too many elements for it to be effective.

So at least three more characters should die this year, and we see it happening to Zapato and something will occur with Nikki. I'm certain one more: either Adam or Mary Jane or both.

• Members

If they want this story to go anywhere I think they need to kill off one of Adam or Mary Jane NOW and then the next part of the story will be about the other in an out of control maelstrom. I would kill off Adam now and then have MJ as the one who gets all the insanity building and building for various characters. Adam died long ago anyway.

• Members

That's the really sad thing about Billy. When he was the lovable screw-up, I think he worked well. But he lost... Nothing. In fact, he gained his daughter and he gained the love of his life. When he slept with Sharon, and Chloe, Jack, and Mac found out about it, he should've been wallowing in self pity for a month and he still shouldn't be near his daughter. How is he a ogod father, as everyone swears he is, if he's setting up such a horrible ex for her? And where does he live now? The Athletic Club? He's not back at the pool house is he? We haven't seen that set in months. What is going on with all the sets these days?

Anyway, you can't have this lovable screw up become the chivalrous knight trying to protect his family without cause. And they keep playing the one-note "I'm not the favored son" bit every single time he's in the Chancellor mansion. How could they ignore a history THEY themselves created so readily, to jut dump it, rather than using it to their benefit and telling a richer story?

I just wanna shake these people so hard until their thousand dollar veneers rattle. They need a wake up call. They cannot continue to disrespect us, their audience, their moneymakers, like this and think they could get away with it.

• Members

That's so well said. The "favored son" crap especially gets on my nerves. They never bothered to bring any depth to his relationships with his family upon his return, they just pushed this rivalry with Cane. Now it's the same rivalry with Phillip and with Chance. When you dislike or resent everyone in your family minus like one person you barely interact with (Katherine), then no wonder you're not the favored son.

• Members

Adam should be shot and the body should disappear. Keep him off canvas for years and years until the time is okay for a return. If Y&R is going to get rid of Adam or MJ, it will be Adam. I am convinced Mary Jane is the keeper and here's why:

• Members

Adam's blindness should immediately worsen as he climbs back up into his window after torturing Ashley. His eyesight should get so bad, he submerges into darkness, reaches out into the air, slips on the lattice, and falls to his death.

Once Engen killed the baby, this s/l blew hard. He could've been a schemer having fun torturing Ashley but once it went to murder, he couldn't be fun to watch.

And because he continues on with these fruitless schemes that he's doing to kick Ashley out but failing miserably each time, he's seeming more and more insane. He should change his target and alter his means. Using Sabrina doesn't [!@#$%^&*] work.

• Members

Thanks CarlD2. :)

In the grand scheme of things, MJ should disappear only because of the great potential Adam, as a character has, as he interacts with so many more people on the show than MJ does and has more lasting relationships than she does.

MJ's crazy. She needs to be institutionalized. Adam's a criminal. He needs to either meet an untimely death or face life imprisonment.

• Members

Killing the baby & burning the fetus should have been the dealbreaker but I still loved CE's Adam until his last day on canvas. That chemistry with ED and that breakdown in Ashley's arms was so good. He had this humanity & warmth about him that made Adam watchable no matter what. The recast is what did Adam in. Most actors, no matter how good they are, can't save a character like Adam. Dude burned a fetus in the fireplace! If they were the right age, Michael Park or Jon Hensley on ATWT could maybe do something with Adam. Outside of them or CE, I don't see another actor on daytime who could make this character rootable or likable. He's just too heinous on paper.

Are we sure Sabrina is dead dead dead? It would be kind of hilarious if she faked her death and was truly haunting Ashley.

• Members

It'd especially be funny if she haunted Ashley and revealed that she did marry Victor for his money and was a complete fraud. She was just such a poorly realized character, like Tyra. It's a shame the only successful character MAB's created is Chloe. Murphy's good but he's nonexistent at this point.

• Members

Look at this promo for next week's Y&R. It's a perfect example of how sh!tty this writing regime is. OK, they've neglected 95% of Nikki and Paul's relationship and we never really saw it properly develop onscreen. So, now, all of a sudden, Nikki is thinking about walking away from Paul and she's progressing her love to Victor? After the way Victor's treated her for a year, she could still be in love with him I guess, but with how that man demeaned her, she should not be telling him how he's the only man she's ever loved now.

Anyway, with no build up and Nikki and Paul hardly on screen together, they just throw all of this at us next week. Crappy pacing, bad use of Melody and Doug, and a very badly developed romance that took place off-screen most of the time. Had they actually showed us this relationship onscreen, maybe I would be more invested, but I'm not.

I realize Melody's contract dispute may have had something to do with it. But there's no excuse for neglecting Paul and Nikki's relationship leading up to next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-75FBHCLJVo

Archived