Y&R: Episode discussion for week of July 27

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And it will work. I always loved Nikki and Victor so when I see previews that old love for them flickers again. I think MTS and EB have chemistry and so there is still that appeal to their old fans, but when I think of all the nasty things he has said to her and all the disrespect he has shown her I just don't want them back together or Nikki pining for him. She will always love him and he will always be the love of her life, but just because they show us a handful of scenes of Victor being half decent to her doesn't mean she should end her relationship with Paul.

And Paul. I feel so bad for him and Doug Davidson. The writers knew they were not going anywhere with Nikki and Paul and so invested very little into their on screen relationship. I don't want to see him hurt. Paul really is a decent guy and a pretty good actor, so I don't know why they never let him have a love interest for long. But of course, talent certainly doesn't guarantee you screentime with this regime.

I guess with Ashley "crazy" again and Nikki admitting her love for Victor it won't be too long until they are reunited, probably early next year.

• Members

[quote name=cara mia

So true. What a waste. CE is cool where BM is hot -- the exact same dynamic that EB has against PB. MM is the same type as BM & PB-- he actually is far more suitable to play a recast Billy than Adam. I think MAB destroyed Adam because LML brought the character on and she's one who hired CE. MAB never knew what she was doing with Adam. I think she resented the LML hires and that's why Karen is gone, Cane has been de-Chancellored, TS' Colleen has been seriously backburnered, David Chow is manure, Korbel is gone, Nikki was transformed from would be senator to basket case, etc. LML made a lot of mistakes but it's a shame that MAB couldn't appreciate any of the positives of LML's work. Karen, for example, is a far better character than Tyra. How could MAB not see that? MM's Adam is essentially a new character, entirely MAB's, -- a one note villain in the vein of Clint or a poor copy of David Kimble.

You bring up such good points and your example of Nia Peeples, who can actually act and Karen, by far a better character than Tyra--I haven't seen one person on any board who actually likes Tyra or the "acting" of Eva Marcille. But MAB does not seem to know (or doesn't care) about the extreme dislike of Tyra/Eva. But the key here is Victor Newman Jr.-- why utterly destroy him to the point of no return? Chris Egen played the Harvard young cocky businessman to a T too--and your cool and hot comparions to EB/PB are spot on. Korbel is gone IMO b/c of the lack of chem w/ TS' Colleen, who we know no matter what seems not to be going anywhere, so EP was sacrified.

• Members

Yes, but MAB loves Daniel Goddard's Cane, Emily O'Brien's Jana, and Adrienne Frantz's Amber. They were all brought on by LML and yet she obviously dislikes Lauren and Michael who were created by and favorites of Bill Bell. So there has to be more to it than just being a LML hire. Now that I think of it CE was a MAB hire not a LML hire. She took over control in late December 2007 and CE didn't start until the winter of 2008. He was one of her first hires.

I do agree though that Adam's character was wasted. I never liked Adam as I always found him to be a minipulative and arrogant whiner but that was nothing that couldn't have been smoothed over. Now he is a monster. And watching the writers trying to set Billy up as a new rival to Victor is just a big No. Billy should have been matched against Adam and Jack is the natural rival to Victor.

• Members

If anything they should have continued the story where Victor was mentoring Billy. Billy resembles Victor in his childishness, his need to hold a grudge, his inability to maintain relationships, treating women as disposable.

I think they originally had Adam become a loser when they wanted to give Victor his "balls", as Sheffer would probably say, by showing us how pathetic Adam and Jack were in comparison. Then there were clearly months where they had no idea what to do with Adam. Finally we got this gaslighting story, which seems to have spiralled out of control, and which often comes across as, "Why did we bring Ashley back again?"

• Members

Today's B&B was indeed great soap, no matter how much Brooke/Ridge/Tarlor has been overdone. There was some emotional resonance and the production and location stuff was just flawless, kind of like how Y&R used to be. Sigh. :(

Do you all see what I mean when I say if Y&R and daytime only has a few more years left, I'd prefer they handed the show over to a Bell protege to write it. At least you'd get some of the trademarks of the old days with some new approach from one of the people that worked regularly with Bill Bell.

• Members

I also feel like someone decided, "We already have an heir to Victor, and that is Nick." They worked hard to slap that Nick/Victor reconciliation back together and made sure Adam never had a chance of being anything but the evil brother. It's kind of hilarious because since then Nick and Victor barely interact and Nick has become far more disliked by fans than I ever thought he could be in such a short space of time.

• Members

The Phyllis we have seen the last few days is ths same Phyllis we have been seeing ever since she married Nick and it's a shame. Back to the video games, pizza and sex on the couch I am sure. Oh yeah and they'll work to help Summer with her sight words who will likely make a dramatic recovery.

I thought Phyllis was finally going to be free and we would get the Phyllis I loved back but nope she is back to the simpering fool and Nick gets another huge pass. At least when he was married to Sharon and he cheated he had to grovel and was on the couch for awhile but Nick can betray Phyllis in any way and as long as he tells her he loves her, all will be forgiven. I so want a scene between Phyllis and Michael and Lauren with them bringing up reality to her, but alas Phyllis does not need her best friends anymore unless Michael is getting her or Daniel out of legal trouble.

Now I just want Sharon to move on and any self respecting woman would after watching Nick promise the same thing to Phyllis that he promised her less than a month ago. But the writers will have her pining for Nick and no doubt Phyllis will back to her paranoid mode again and Nick will just do as he pleases. I seriously hate this triangle.

• Members

I recall clearly from earlier interviews that LML definitely hired CE and she came up with the idea of Adam being a self-made Harvard grad. It was one of the last things she did in her role. Maybe LML & CE can meet up one day and commiserate over tap water at a vegan cafe.

I don't think MAB likes DG that much but he already has such a fanbase that she can't just get rid of him. So, she makes Billy the "smart" one compared to Cane and she takes away Cane's blood ties to the Chancellors. Yes, Jill adopted him, but if & when MAB wants to cut Cane loose, it's much easier to do so now. Cane has been reduced to the flat prince charming. He is not the sexy charming rogue brought on by LML. Billy has taken what should have been Cane's role on canvas.

As for Jana, she's the least featured of the Scoobies. There aren't too many plausible love interests for Kevin, so MAB doesn't get much by axing Jana right now. I don't think she's a particular favorite though. If Kevin & Amber had any kind of sexual chemistry, Jana would have had another bout of the tumor by now.

LML did not create Amber!

• Members

That was a TOTAL Bell setup, on B&B, with a couple of nice twists. There was B&B's trademark high camp, but there was also totally STUNNING location work.

B&B is my "volatile" show...some days I love and some days I hate. Ridge-Brooke-Taylor is more overdone than Y&R's "quad"...but they STILL manage to milk moments. Like today, I was really WISHING for Brooke to get to the beach house on time. (And now I understand why they used the beach house!). Whereas on Y&R, [ a ] I didn't care ONE WHIT about this remarriage, and [ b ] not even Sharon watching from a distance added any feeling to it.

The only little dribble of emotion I felt was ... as usual ... from Jack. And, yes, Braeden can still scare me when he threatens someone. So, those two gave the only satisfying moments of the show, for me.

Of course, B&B will return to -- what is the word? -- "suckitude"? -- by Monday. But I loved today's show and will actually rewatch it.

PS (and I'm saying this just to light a little fire under Alvin :lol: ), isn't MAB a Bell protege??

• Members

I know this is for the B&B thread, but it relates to this. Jerry Birn was credited as story consultant on B&B today. I don't recall seeing him in that position for a while? Is this a return, or has it been continuous?

You can see where I'm headed.... if Birn's return is new, and it is linked to B&B's upswing ... the obvious solution would be to bring him (and, yes, Alden and Smith) in a story consultants. Per Harding Lemay at WLS, those guys make $2,500/day (or more now?) doing such work, and that could be a way of infusing some classic-Bell back into Y&R.

Of course, if Birn has been there all along ... even through the DRECK of recent months...nevermind.

• Members

That makes sense (not to me but The Hack Team). Engen could have brought so much more to it than Morrow can ever hope to. Miller and Engen could have been the new Bergman/Braeden but oh well never gonna happen now. True, Nick and Victor don't interact anymore and the reconcilation was rushed but no one interacts anymore except if to serve the plot purpose.

• Members

Alvin, you're usually right about everything but on this you're wrong. CE was originally hired after Josh Morrow's contract negotiations (Nick's plane crash). When JM resigned they did not go ahead with bringing CE on at that time. There was even some (crazy) talk of having JM play both roles! Hee. Anyway, when they decided to bring on Victor Junior for real, it was not a decision made in the span of a few weeks! Unlike MAB, LML actually understood the importance of Vic Jr. and did not rush the process. They auditioned people again, including CE, and choose him. CE himself said that LML hired him. Obviously Adam's first scenes were not penned by LML -- she was gone by then -- but the decision to bring back the character and the hiring of the actor was LML not MAB.

Mark, you got me sold. I'll go online to watch B&B.

Archived