Best returns for previous soap characters

• Members

The most successful return ever in soaps has to be Andrea Evans as Tina on OLTL in 1985. She had been pretty much a supporting player on the show in her initial run, from 1978 to 1981. But when she returned in 1985, she exploded....we're talking major phenomenon.

I can't think of any other return that was as successful.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right. Kristen was one of a kind (especially when she went bad), and Peter, who pushed stories for several years, even though he's all but forgotten now. Celeste, one of a kind. Stefano also had a new lease on life.

The only one I think may have been better off with the old writing was Tony, although I've never really seen any writers but JER write for Tony for an extended period of time. Brash and Cwilky did, but they seemed to be trying to make him into a new Stefano (going after Marlena).

• Members

Michael E. Knight's second return to AMC in the early 90's (when an amnesiac Tad turned up in Pine Valley as Ted Orsini) was SOAP OPERA EXCELLENCE. It was such a great time for the show! Tad's return, and the weeks of suspenseful near-misses between him and Dixie sent the ratings through the roof, getting the show as close to catching Y&R as it ever would.

Archived