Y&R: Episodes discussion., Week of June 29,2009

• Members

Thommy gets slack!

That first ep, when you see it, you'll understand. It was his first day back after 20 years. And the ep is LOADED in expository text. He didn't have a monologue, but he just had to recite reams and reams of backstory.

I remember him as that brilliant, insecure kid. He did that tremendously. I'm about his age (3 years younger) and he spoke for me -- back then -- in some ways. Like him, I'm a lot more confident and secure now. And it is obviously in the story that he had to go away to grow up. So I'm seeing that confidence.

But what Thom has to figure out is how to separate Phillip's security and internal sense that he did the right thing with remorse and sadness for what he did to those women.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, but I'm waiting a month to see if he makes any noticeable improvements in his acting.

I know he hasn't done much acting in years, but really, neither has Tricia Cast, and she came back and fit right in. What's his excuse?

Again, I really wish they hadn't re-written history AGAIN to bring him back. Not because of the acting, but because of the long-term damage it's doing to his character and the show's history.

• Members

That's insane. It's not his fault that he was brought back. This was one death many fans thought was unnecessary, whether it should have been undone is debatable but I really doubt that MAB went about this to ruin Bill Bell's history. It might be misguided but it definitely was done with good intentions. BTW, I just hope this is the last story she decides to un-do. I'm ready to see her what she can contribute to the Bill Bell dynasty.

• Members

I hope they craft a really good romance tale for Rafe and Phillip. i hope it's epic and swoon-worthy. Right down to Phillip saving Rafe from Adam's clutches, punching Adam in his face, and swooping him away to a peaceful getaway. Would LOVE that!

• Members

It's highly probable.

I want Phillip to be the dashing hero and Rafe to be the damsel in distress...hehe! If PHillip were to uncover all of Adam's deeds and save the day that would be so satisfying and erase a lot of the ill-will for him leaving his family, wife and child to be gay.

• Members

LOL. I think you mean 'sacred cow' :lol:

In the American idiom, "holy cow" is used more like "my goodness" or "what a surprise".

TB is in a very similar situation to CF. It is going to be hard to separate performance from direction from acting. In CF's case, in particular, I'm REALLY enjoying her now...but she is playing "wounded bird". That makes her difficult to watch sometimes, because she is so restrained and pained. She's starting to come out of that shell now, and I think that's because the scripts and the direction are finally moving her there. She is up to that challenge.

Bierdz needs some TIME to get back into this character. It's not like he can rely on what he did 20 years ago. It is not even about being rusty. It is about figuring out who this guy has become. We've REALLY got to chill a bit and go on this journey.

• Members

If Paul Rauch couldn't do very much to stop the sleepwalking (Eileen, Morrow, Braeden) or lost at sea (Miller, Case) up and down performances from some of the cast then he won't have much for Thom Bierdz, who hasn't acted in decades. I think Bierdz is probably doing the best he can. They've done so many of these twists that this may be why there isn't as much emotional resonance, people keep expecting the rug to be pulled from under them again, and because the show doesn't know how to play the emotional beats.

• Members

But stuff like facial expressions, emotion-less delivery of lines, and other lazy/bad acting techniques can't be ignored. It's nothing to do with writing. The scenes Bierdz has on Monday's episode would have came alive had he been a more capable actor, but he isn't.

Those scenes weren't hard to figure out, IMO.

But, again, I'm willing to see if he can improve in a month.

• Members

i almost liken Thommy's first few scenes to Davetta Sherwood's - in the sense that she was thrown into this huge reveal (Malcolm is Lily's father) on her first day. Tricia, who I love, wasn't given any real meaty scenes when she came back for Kay's funeral. And she's had the opportunity to coast into the groove. TB has been on an island and then he's being shot from a cannon into the lion's den, having to memorize pages of dialogue that he got the day before.

there's a reason why accomplished acotrs like Julianne Moore say that soap opera acting is the hardest medium to learn.

Archived