Mariah's new album!

Sylph

• Members
In terms of sound, I wouldn't want her to go entirely Music Box and do an album that was 70/80% ballads. I think she needs the diversity there, but I also think she needs to focus on more electronica and more modern hip-hop styles. She's played it too safe for too long and has alienated alot of her longtime fans for the quick rap/R&B fix. Her songs sound the same as they did in 1998 and THAT is the biggest problem. I think a great blend of label management and her own personal style came from her first album and even more with Emotions. Emotions was a solid album, but extremely unmarketable.

She needs to surprise people. Play an instrument, learn how to dance, do something other than sit on a chair suspended from the ceiling, pretending to be a flipping fairy.

Mariah is a 90's Artist. And it shows. She hasn't even bothered evolving.

In terms of the way she actually looks, she's allowed to have her own style, but she needs to quit coming out on stage and in public in lowcut outfits. She's too chunky to do it and she's not 16 anymore.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You will all hate me for saying this - or laugh - but I think this album shows signs of growth in Mariah. After listening to some songs attentively, I'm starting to believe that. It's weirdly uniform, has a kind of vision, there's something about it I can't yet describe precisely. I thought the critics would detest it and dismiss it as the worst piece of feathery, whispery vocal acrobatics junk, but it's kind of... Praised.

E = MC^2 was fabulous, it was, I thought, full of radio edits/hits and I'm to this day quite surprised that it didn't achieve wider success. She picked the wrong songs for singles, though.

Say what you want, but Mariah Carey is an excellent songwriter. She knows how to craft a catchy tune. And not stop there.

P. S. She'll appear in AT&T commercial later in the evening, I believe.

• Members

You're right, I am laughing. :lol:;)

I don't know about excellent songwriter, nor do I necessarily look for one in a mainstream act like Mariah. But most of Mariah's songs seemingly come from the point of view of a 14 year old high school girl, and not just recently, but for years now.

Anyone can write something catchy, but Mariah's point of view in her songs are often very juvenile.

Archived