Y&R: Week of June 15-19, 2009

• Members

Just because TB is not on contract doesn't mean she couldn't have a story about Fenmore's dealing with financial difficulties in this economy. It would give Lauren and Michael something to do outside of the family but since MAB appears to not be "inspired" by them they are [!@#$%^&*] out of luck unless someone in the family needs a lawyer or Eden needs Lauren as a talk to once o month. Tricia Cast is getting story and she is recurring and TEB has had story in the past.

I am beginning to wonder if MAB can even write a business story. Last fall, they had the perfect set up when the Abbotts regained Jabot and Ashley walked into that meeting at the AC and took control of Jabot. I was so looking forward to seeing the Abbotts run Jabot again. And exactly what happened after watching Jack try to regain Jabot by any means for years? Nothing, Ashley was sent back to the ranch to be a 50 yr old incubator for 70 yr old Victor's sperm and now is nothing more than Adam's victim. Jack is too busy hopping from one bed to another and begging Sharon to take him back and Billy is chasing after Mac.

And nothing is happening at Newmans or Chancellors either. Frankly, does it even matter now who is on charge of what companies when they have all become nonfactors.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You think the writers are actually worried about depressing people? All their stories are dark right now. Writing a story about how some of the businesses are being effected negatively, especially retail, would be realistic.

• Members

They may feel that people won't get a business storyline. It's easier to have storylines about psychos and sleeping around.

To be fair to them, most soaps feel like viewers won't understand a business story...I think the old guard of soap writers were among the last who felt like viewers would understand the details.

• Members

Y&R did business stories up until a few years ago and ratings were higher then than they are now. Even LML attempted to tell business stories, MAB and company? Not so much.

Psychos and sex sell? If I'm not mistaken Y&R's ratings are either down from a year ago or they're flat. What evidence suggests this?

• Members

Olivia just happens to see Ashley with the doctor thats lying and maniuplating her and tells her she's in great hands with a smile across her face. Ha! I knew she was in on it. She just got Ash to trust him even more so that when she finds out that he lied about her miscarriage, she will be even more devasted

• Members

We see how the show is when MAB attempts business. It falls flat. Sex is the easiest thing to do on soap operas as is violence, which is what ABC has been doing for the past few years. I don't know where these people get this idea that this is what the audience wants but I have a feeling this is why Y&R is where it is right now.

It may not mean increased ratings, I'll admit that, but it's got universal appeal (if not right) unlike business storylines.

• Members

That's tragic for them then, business stories were at the heart of Y&R for many years, to just ignore the business aspect like they're doing now, does not honour the show or its history.

This show needs balance with it's storytelling, and so far, it's providing none of that. Not just with the characters used, but the types of storylines they choose to tell.

• Members

Writing business stories which an audience can relate to is not easy, but there's plenty of reward if the show makes the effort. Bell knew things like the Jack/Jill/John triangle and the Victor/Jack rivalry were enlivened when they fought over Jabot. The stories may have become less interesting over time, but there's always a way to revamp.

I would say they should stick to what they're good at, but I'm not sure if they're that great at the bedhopping or the stories about crazy people. So far the only one which has worked, so far, has been MJ, and I put that on the actress.

• Members

LoL yes I know most of the stories are dark, but they fit more into the realm of fantasy than reality.

As much as I love the business stories, I'm enjoying the break. I rather wait until they come up with something good, than just throw one in there for the sake of it. And like I said before Newman vs. Jabot is so played out. Nobody wants to see Victor beat Jack AGAIN. Let's switch it up.

• Members

But do people really want to see that right now? Like Cassie's death, this is something that hits home, and I would think viewers watch Y&R to get away from reality. I think it would be kinda overbearing, albeit realistic to bring it on the show right now.

• Members

There's tons of untapped potential with Jabot and Newman. Why the hell are these corporations on the show if they aren't going to do anything with them? If anything, this current economic downturn has turned the business world into a more vicious beast. We constantly hear about management coups, hostile takeovers, tense stockholders meetings, and other things involving the business world in the press. How hard can it be to incorporate something like that into the show while relating it to the dynamic of the major characters involved?

Oh yeah, I forgot, you need skilled writers for that. <_<

Archived