Y&R: Week of June 15-19, 2009

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always gush! I love this show and i've said it a million times - it's the best show on TV...not just daytime. It ain't perfect but I effin love it! Sad when you're a freak for liking a show in a thread about the show...lol - but my freak flag is flying! Go Y&R! :)

And SH has been kickin' ass for years apparently!

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Members

That's a good point. High end is down for sure, and a cosmetics company like Jabot would definitely be down. I don't know why they haven't addressed that as well as any shift in the Abbott lifestyle. You'd expect Jack to tell Billy to slow down on his illustrious lifestyle, but I guess that slowed down on it own too.

As for Newman Enterprises and Chancellor Industries, I'm not sure why they haven't been affected either. For all the year Y&R spent on corporate intrigue, this would make for some good story. Especially if Jabot was doing well and Newman wasn't and Jack started a hostile takeover. That would go right up Victor's ass.

On another note, if Amber starts becoming a very successful designer in this economy, then you know, this regime is totally out of touch. I wish TB was on contract because there could be some great story going on for Feinmore's right now. A huge scare like when people were predicting Saks to go out of business this past November.

Not to go off topic, but B&B should be having some "recession" stories since there is barely anything new from all the high-end fashion houses. Gucci is still trying to pass off last seasons junk. :rolleyes:

Okay, back to Y&R...

• Members

In Re. Business stories:

I think it would be slightly unrealistic for NE to be affected by the economy, given its stature. A company like NE should be able to ride through this recession. However, I can definitely see Jabot floundering. I do like Jill being hit by it though, albeit silly putting all her money in one place.

• Members

Thanks - it's weird it worked in the preview then i clicked submit and didn't check it again. Thanks!

Someone who came from no money and is/was as smart as Jill would never put ALL her money in an Cayman Island bank account. I also have to ask where did all her stocks, bonds and tbills etc go?

I'm still waiting to see how Neil's promotion to being the CEO of CE is going to shake things up! Business is definitely not in season at the moment. i miss it but I'm ok with it.

• Members

Not in this economy, it's like a free for all.

With Jabot being a smaller company than NE, it may have the opposite effect. If Jabot offers the same products that NE offers at a lower cost and may cost less to produce, Jabot would suffer a smaller loss as opposed to NE. NE would have a lot more fat to cut as opposed to Jabot, being that NE is much larger. The same could be said for Chancellor Industries. Granted Katherine may not be effected personally as she is already of wealth, her company could be in trouble. Also, everyone borrows from each other. All the times Newman took over Jabot, they had to borrow the money from somewhere. Look at Bear Sterns, Merrill Lynch, Wachovia, Leahman Brothers, they all fell. AIG needed a ton during the bailout. Every industry is effected in an economic crisis because consumers are going to be on a tighter budget.

• Members

Perhaps Y&R missed a great moment for TGVN to tell off a whole slew of bankers and lending execs - "How dare you give out these irresponsible loans. You listen to me, i want you to get this crisis fixed now. Get your heads out of your asses, you got that?"

• Members

Are the cosmetic companies really taking a big hit though? No matter the economy, I think people would still want to look good irregardless. Plus, it's fairly inexpensive.

At the end of the day, I think they'd have to recast Eric Braeden if we ever wanted to see a story like that told. Paper dolls? Yes. Losing billions of dollars? Nahhh.

Are maybe they're not playing up the recession too much, because so many people have been laid off that it would be too depressing to watch?

• Members

Yes, even cosmetic companies are getting hit. If high-end merchandise is suffering, so is everyone else. Fashion is all related to how we coordinate our looks. It's like, why by MAC right now when you can get Lorell, or why by a new Prada bag when you can get a Coach one cheaper or a new pair of Designer sunglasses when you can get knock offs. People are beginning to spend more wisely. I feel like Oprah has a new episode on how to spend less and save more each week lol

But I think it would have made for some great story if Newman was hit hard. Even if Victor isn't loosing that much, but his company is. I mean, the guy is buying horse after horse for Abby. Stallions don't come cheap! ;)

Archived