Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly watching the clip I'm baffled I understand the need for drama I know Nick and Sharon got stupider as characters this year (if possible) but did they lose all class and tact even where their child is concerned? Which teenager or even adult wants to hear their parents announce that their expected kiid brother or siister maybe daddy's or step-daddy's it seriously make sense to wait for some dna results before announcing these things :huh:

• Members

Their eventual wedding at the close of the show, say in 2016, will be what you want...closure.

This is NOT closure. Neither Nick nor Sharon have dealt with any of their issues. This is an interim stop in a much longer journey, IMO.

• Members

But what is the agenda? I don't quite get what they are trying to accomplish. Why break of Nick and Phyllis, if you aren't going to do a good full on reunion for Nick and Sharon. It didn't have to last, but at least let the set up be romantic. Give them a few months of happiness. I don't understand what the show is trying to accomplish. Unless they do think this is the happy romantic reunion some viewers have been waiting for. :blink:

• Members

I think they want to keep ambiguity going because they think this is a way to keep fans invested. They may feel that some fans will always want Nick with Phyllis, so they have to put some doubt into the story with Nick and Sharon. I guess the problem is how to write the ambiguity without making the characters look shallow. Bill Bell managed to pull this off for years with Victor and Nikki, probably because when they weren't together, they were genuinely committed to their other partners. They didn't need to have sex because they were essentially having sex every time they would argue, or Nikki would crash one of Victor's weddings.

I also think they made a mistake bringing Cassie into this story. Earlier they set up a story where Sharon's problems were rooted in her early past. Bringing Cassie in devalues the impact she had because she becomes a crutch, people are more likely to remember her as her parents using her death as an excuse for being sluts, and this also potentially devalues her if they ever want to bring her into the story at a later date.

Someone at Y&R may also see the characters as pawns (which they are to a writer, but not to fans) and they don't understand the impact if the character starts sleeping around with various people and yet is still supposed to be in some type of true love forever relationship.

• Members

The next step to crap-dom in this story is having Nick go back to Phyllis once he realizes he can't handle all that comes with "committing" (even by Nick and Sharon's standards) to Sharon, GOD i swear if they give them another round I'll have only a few characters left to keep me hanging in :lol:

• Members

I guess I'm just ready for short term closure now. Like I said it didn't have to last this go around, but what they have given us is truly repulsive, imo. I'm not even a huge Sharon and Nick fan, that's the funny part. I just wanted a good reunion and then the cracks in their marriage can start to show again. But all the multiple people the quad has shagged of late makes me HATE the story.

• Members

There are several

1. Make Nick Happen

2. Make the Newman men happen

3. Prop a certain Giggling Heffa

4. Appease certain entitled vocal fanbases

5. Prop Noah

TPTB screwed EVERY fanbase.

Nick/Sharon, Jack/Sharon, Nick & Phyllis, Jack/Phyllis.

• Members

It's not that I don't agree with you, in this case, it's that it'd be nice if there were one thing you did enjoy about the show that you could share.

Why do you watch if this is not the case?

There are too many loose ends for this to be the ultimate reunion between Nick and Sharon.

• Members

There are so many great posts in this thread that I wish I could reply to every single one of them, but I don't have the time.

Thank you all for the great welcome! It may take me days to read through the entire week's posting of Y&R, but I'm never bored with it. I just love the different personalities and input.

I still watch GL, and OLTL, but I haven't posted in those threads because it takes me a long time to get through the Y & R one!

• Members

How many times am I going to praise Nina's apperances here and there and Elizabeth Hendrickson/Chole? Those two are about the only thing I actually like going on at the moment.

Out of habit, and no matter how bad this show is, I watch because it's my routine. I may take a break here and there, but I stll keep up with what's going on.

• Members

I feel the need to answer this since people keep asking. Why watch a soap when it sucks? Habit and loyalty. Many soap viewers are watching the life story of characters they love and grew up on. Sometimes that story sucks (ATWT I'm looking at you), but that doesn't mean I'm going to bail on watching the lives of people I've cared about for 20 years. Yeah, that makes me an old school kind of viewer, but that's the kind of viewer soaps need. As a soap loses that kind of viewer they die. We saw it with GL. As some point there was nothing recognizable left and many of the people who GL had to work to lose left. Let's hope that doesn't happen to Y&R anytime soon.

Archived