Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I loved that part! MJ is so captivating to watch. :wub: I can guess what's she going to do to Phyllis, but I wonder what's she going to do to Sharon and Victor.

I don't mind the bitching if it's constructive criticism and good episode discussion instead of people repeating the same things over and over again - it's like we get it, we know. No need to say it every day or every week.

• Members

This was buried under a slew of new posts and now that I've seen it, I want to repost to say how ridiculous it is that members like brimike have been so disgusted by the rampant negativity that he and various others have refused to post/read the y&r thread.

Malarky and Balderdash.

• Members

I agreed with a good portion of what brimike said.

Now can we talk about the show? So, I posted a spoiler back a few pages (that was likely lost) about

Do you think this is the first step in some comeuppance for him? He perplexes me because I don't think he meant for Ashley to lose the baby, but then I'm like, what the hell did he think driving her crazy was going to do exactly?

• Members

Nikki had been pushed firmly on that backburner, but now we're seeing more of her in this Adam story. I wonder if thats how they intend to write MTS off if her contract doesn't work out. It's nice to finally see another smart woman, the other being Nina. I picture her becoming more and more nosey (as only Nikki Newman could do) and once Adam picks up on it, he could frame Nikki and send her off to prison for all of his crimes. But that might be too harsh because when MTS returns (and we all know she will), they'd have to write Adam off by sending him to prison. Hmm...but I do see him somehow framing her. Either that or doing worse and I don't want Nikki in physical pain anymore. They've played that out with all the shootings and drinking.

This art story is very depressing. As another posted said it's rushed, extemely contrived and plot driven and doesn't fit into the show. All of these semi-talented actors are just props and I fail to see why I should care. It doesn't affect any of the relationships, it's just keeping this group together in a very boring way. It kinda makes me wish they'd gone full steam ahead with that Tyra/JT/Victoria triangle that was rumored months ago. I don't think all hope is lost with any of these characters, but they're all in the wrong story.

Kevin/Jana - They just need to go at this point, along with Michael, Gloria and Jeffrey. Their story is done. The others I would consider trying again, but this story has to end immediately. It's the main thing bothering me about MAB. People can cite flaws in the Mary Jane or Adam stories, but this story is just a complete disaster from start to finish. It's a LML trademark. If we are to expect more of this in coming months, I'm worried.

I do wonder what happened to the great umbrella stories she was telling. For a while it seemed that when one story ended, it would launch a new story focused on different characters and everything seemed fluid. Now the show feels a little disjointed. It's not as seamless as before. I feel like Jill and Katherine should still be regularly featured, but they've disappeared. Jill is one character I wish could regain some of her strength and power. She needs to be an equal to Jack and Victor. I don't like her as the loser or so supporting to everyone elses stories. She's overdue for a love interest as well.

• Members

I think the big difference between Adam and Victor is they'd never take Victor this far. They'd also never make him so weak,

I feel like they're almost deliberately taking Adam as far as they can go, perhaps because up to now the story hasn't had enough reason for fans to genuinely hate Adam. But what he's doing to Ashley, not even just the miscarriage lies, but to have her treated by a doctor who molests his female patients, I'm not sure the audience will ever get over that. That's not love to hate, that's pure slime.

• Members

The best thing this show could do right now, IMHO, is go through the cast list and cut at least 10 people.

Listen, cats can be as big as they want to be, as long as the show can handle it. I do feel Y&R's cast, esp between recurring and contract, is too big for them to handle.

Cut the dead weight, the characters that dont work, etc... recast characters that need a strong actor/actress that are important like Colleen or Victoria.

Then come up with stories for the cast you kept. And if it means bringing on a slew of new AA characters, get on it. Because Niel & The Hamiltons? Not working. And great interesting complex AA characters played by strong actors is such a part of Y&R and has been for 2 decades + now. I just watched a storyline where Olivia thought she had gotten AIDS. THAT was an amazing story, and TLW rocked it. Where is that?

And as for Mary Jane... im getting a Tricia vibe. and IDK if that is good because they basically wrote Tricia into a corner and had to write her off. Im going in with blind faith that this wont happen to MJ and they have a long term arc and perhaps a redemption if needed planned out now, ahead of time.

The quad is my other issue. I cant stand it. I cant root for anyone in it. Cant they all go their own ways now? Move Nick into the Adam/Heather orbit.

But really, my biggest isue is the cast. Why is Gloria still here? What is Jana doing on this show? Does anyone care about Tyra? Etc.....

All of that said, i like Y&R. Like it. I dont love it, im far from hating it. But then again ive always watched Y&R because it was good, its never really entertained me the way other soaps do (Days for example... and no, im not saying DOOL is better, im saying it entertains me more).

Archived