Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm tired of those damn Ashley/Adam flashbacks.

Other than that, the show is rocking right now. Mary Jane is a KEEPER. Between the incredible Liz Hendrickson and Stacy Haiduk, I just don't know which one I love more!

Even the Billy/Mac scenes the other day were good.

Okay, so now Ashley IS actually going crazy. I'm going to miss CE/ED together.

• Members

I forgot to comment on how awesome those Chloe/Katherine scenes were the other day. Liz H. plays the role so well. Who needs Sharon Case? LoL.

Thad has some nice guns.

LoL @ Victor's line to Victoria!

Where is Adam's doctor friend from? I like him, and he looks familiar.

• Members

Yup. That's why this story works. This is Ashley's FOURTH mental health event. No other woman on the canvas (except maybe Sharon) has this backstory of fragility...which makes her Adam's perfect victim. If you'll remember, after her son with Brad died (Robert), she carried the blanket around, thinking Robert was still alive. So we even have a psychological history of denial vis-a-vis the death of a child. You may also remember that her first breakdown was caused by aborting Victor's child. So babies and Victor are her most common trigger too. Her second breakdown was caused, if I recall correctly, by the Brent Davis reveal.

I agree with what someone else wrote, they are

Regardless, the most memorable Patty was blonde Lillibet Stern. I'm glad they're going back to that as a memory.

Is anything not nice on Thad? He is wasted. I loved his bad boy in the Glow by Jabot days. He was the only one from that group that I liked.

John Rubinstein plays the doctor. He is an accomplished pianist, and I remember him best as Meredith Baxter Birney's husband on Family in the 1970s. But his credits are enormous.

• Members

I totally accept that you do this. But I wish then you would provide your contradictory information. This is like a wildnerness guide saying to some people "Eh...you're going in the wrong direction". WTF good is that? :lol:

• Members

Wow -I don't sign in for awhile, and then I come back to 12 pages of the same stuff over and over again. Alvin hates everything Y&R is doing now, and Sylph and DeeDee back him up. MarkH and Alphanguy are their foils, proclaiming why they love the show. (And poor Toups even got dragged into it) And somewhere in the middle are the rest of the posters, who are able to find some middle ground. And here's what I will never understand - it's a TELEVISION SHOW. Which means it's ALL subjective - what some find thrilling, others see as dark and misogynistic. What some find disturbing, others proclaim as the best they've seen in years. That's how TV shows work - it's a matter of personal taste.

I know I'll get mocked for saying this... but I have to throw it out there. I was an NBC guy growing up - but there were certainly times that DOOL, AW and Santa Barbera didn't make me happy. So I stopped watching. And when I heard good buzz, I tuned back in. I know in many circles, people feel like they HAVE to watch these shows every day, out of some obligation. Like you're not "really a fan" if you don't watch every day, whether you like what you see or not. But I guess I don't give daytime a pass like that. Just like with prime time, if I'm bored or angry at the direction a show is going in, I just stop watching it. I can already "see" the responses with the "eye roll" emoticon at the suggestion people just turn it off if they don't like it. But in all of those "eye roll" responses and people implying "I guess now somebody will write the obnoxious 'Why do you bother watching?' response), I have yet to read anyone explain to me WHY they keep watching if it's such a trial. I can't figure out if it just makes people feel superior to sign online and post about how awful the show is every day, or what?! I mean, I understand that. I remember posting in DOOL threads a year ago about how awful everything was... but it only lasted, like, a month. And then I just stopped posting - because really, what does me banging my drum and trying to convince everybody they're wrong really do in the long run? It just makes people bored reading my posts, and hate me for constantly telling them they're WRONG and the show is NOT GOOD, and if you disagree, then clearly you have some kind of problem that you can't see what I see.

As for me, I share concerns about the future of this team, but that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying aspects. I love the Adam/Ashley/Victor story, I love Mary Jane's psycho-antics, and I love every scene Peter Bergman and Michelle Stafford are in. I have issues with the art story and how it started, but if the rumors are true about

being the mastermind, I'm willing to forgive a crappy start to see what he brings to the canvas. And yes, I find many of the stories to be misogynistic, but at the same time, I don't see any men (other than Adam, Victor and Jack) driving story. Nick is just a ping-pong ball, Paul is Nikki's appendage, Kevin does whatever Amber and Jana tell him to do, Billy can't make up his mind WHAT he wants... for all the misogyny in one or two stories, the rest of the stories involve a man being castrated. So I don't see how you can have it both ways.

And yet - as much as I agree with some of the things Alvin/Sylph/DeeDee say... it doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the show. I tune in every day, because in the last six months, there have been VERY few episodes I feel like I wasted an hour watching. I can't say that about other soaps right now, that's for sure. And yes, I know the response to that is "Daytime sucks right now, so Y&R can be better than the rest, and yet still SUCK". But here's the thing - NO OTHER SHOW (besides B&B) has had the stability of one HW/EP for most of its lifespan. What's happened on Y&R over the last decade is what the rest of daytime suffered through in the late 80's/early 90's - with new head writers stepping in and creating their own "vision" for a couple of years before the network finally gets sick of them and fires them. It sucks that it's happening, but it was bound to happen eventually. If anything, we should be grateful Bill Bell died doing his life's work, and wasn't ousted by a slimy network exec.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here - I just truly don't understand why I come into this thread every day and read THE SAME POSTS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Reading these last twelve pages felt like an endless task - and yet it's like reading the same five posters say the same five things every day.

I have to admit, I'm starting to see R Sinclair's point about the AMC threads vs the Y&R threads. They talk about one episode for two pages, and then move on to the next day's episode. I would much prefer that than this endless tedium of everyone repeating themselves for 30-odd pages.

But, just like with television shows, if I'm not a fan, I just turn it off. And so it will go with this thread. I mean, really? Debating whether or not 1979 was a good year for Y&R? In a world where Megan McTavish and Dena Higley can get hired over and over and over again in spite of the fact that they've NEVER had a good track record, can't we at least be grateful for the fact that although we have a flawed head writer, she seems to at least care about what the majority of the fans think? What other reason could there be for the fact that MAB has reversed every bad decision made by a previous writing regime in the span of a year? It's blatantly obvious that she gives a damn about the show, and isn't just "collecting a paycheck"" like so many other head writers out there. Does she suck at coming up with a good Winters story? Absolutely. Are the musical beds in the quad frustrating? Of course they are. But really, for all the faults I have with the show, I find myself enjoying it more often than not enjoying it. Does that mean I have bad taste? No - it just means I have MY taste. It's not good or bad, it's just individual preference.

I used to really enjoying posting here, on any number of soaps - DOOL, ATWT, GL, OLTL, GH, Y&R. About what I liked and what I didn't like in each day's episode. Having a discussion. But this isn't a "discussion" anymore. It's basically two or three people saying how awful it is, and two or three people debating that. I've been on forums where people are divided on a show before - but at least there wasn't any tunnel vision. But if you pull up ANY Y&R thread from the last 12 weeks, you'll find the conversation just boils down to the same two or three points made by the same posters over and over and over again. It doesn't even matter what happened on the show that week - that's totally besides the point. It just becomes about who is "smart" enough to hate the show, and who is "stupid" enough to enjoy it.

Blah, blah, blah. I've said my peace. Forgive me for ranting, but this is the reason why I stopped posting in here these last couple weeks... and I had to get it off my chest.

Back to lurkdom I go... thanks for hearing me out... or "reading me out" as the case may be. [/venting]

Archived