Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Members

I understand but I hope they don't get carried away. I want just one soap to keep some of their integrity.

Phamie 56 welcome to the board

I like HS as a writer I just make no mistakes about it he needs someone to rope him in the right way at times but still give him the necessary leverage. He can be brilliant when allowed to be while not going too far

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bringing back dead beloved characters is tempting and might work--but if they start doing it like all the other soaps do, what's the point?

Cassie's death, which I wish never happened, gave Nicholas and Sharon some great emotional arcs... I wouldn't change it for the world.

• Members

And so far, in this crazy soap world, the ratings seem to bear witness to the rightness of her approach. If the ratings climb some more, e.g, Average HH of 4.0 or something, she'll be there forever.

:lol::lol: Total agreement.

Welcome phamie56! I hope we hear much more from you. Though this board is probably not the place to avoid behind-the-scenes info. :)

LMAO.

I think Y&R likes to specialize in likeable actors playing flawed creatures. Nick, Jack, Billy, Sharon, Phyllis.... I guess I'm fine with watching Billy grow up...but I just want to see that process START. It was fun to watch Terry Lester's Jack go through this kind of arc back in the day.

Like the poster said upthread, I wish the story would lead to a personality change and more energy for Victoria. (They just did this with Tad on AMC).

• Members

Yup. Once LML lost/pushed her historical team away, ratings fell. That's why I'm very interested in the MAB trend. No evidence of fall yet, but if the show is as bad as you and others here say it is...the decline trend should start this summer.

• Members

But the show already had one massive fall a year ago, under MAB mind you, so I don't think any fall from here on out it going to be as noticeable, at least not for a while.

MAB already gave the show its record low ratings and ratings never fell as much for this show as it did during her first year.

Ratings with LML fell, but she never took the show to the mid 3's and her dailies were often very consistent, despite her crappy material.

Mark, weren't you proclaiming not long ago that writing and ratings have no correlation? :unsure:

• Members

Welcome Pharmie! It's good to read posts from 53 year old women. There aren't enough of you posting regularly, it seems.

It shouldn't be a shock that at least one of us would make this response LOL.

Spoilers are definitely the WORST!!!!! ARRRRGH!!!

OMG, neither should be undone. For God's sakes! Can we just move on, please? I don't remember Y&R undoing so many deaths in the last decade as they have in the last couple of years. Just stay dead, and leave Cassie dead, please!!!

• Members

Nobody should return from the dead on Y&R, or any other soap for that matter. This has been done to death. What is next? Phillip Chancellor II is alive in Acapulco with a new family?

Lauren should dump Michael, become a businesswoman again, get involved with Jack while Colleen gets involved with Scott and Traci returns as Y&R's nice person.

Once again the same question... Why did Sharon do all these crazy things? Because a love quadrangle with two very unstable women is so much cooler?

Neil should forget the Hamiltons ever existed, start his own cosmetics company and begin working with Phyllis.

What was the purpose of Heather getting sick all those months ago?

Would Lorraine Broderick work as Y&R's writer?

Please don't ruin Chloe. Is it a matter of time before she turns into a psycho?

A question from last year... I don't remember if we discussed it here, but am I the only one who -after watching their last scene in the car- thought that David Chow and Sabrina might have been partners in crime?

Before the internet, I wished that there was a way for me to watch all US daytime soaps here in Greece. Now that I have access to all of them, I can't stand watching more than 10 Y&R minutes, 3-4 OLTL minutes, 5 AMC minutes. ( I FF B&B) I enjoy watching Douglas Marland's ATWT and GL though :)

• Members

Crappy and misogynistic writing, that's all.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Neil was written off at this point...

No, she's a decent enough writer, but not Y&R material at all. She's better suited for an ABC soap.

Make hat a bed hopping psycho. I hope they don't completely ruin her too.

:lol:

Nothing will ever be Marland good again, but that's no excuse for why these soaps are so crappy and inconsistent these days.

• Members

Yes. To be clear

- I totally agree with your summary of the ratings under MAB and LML

- I believe that the OVERALL decline of soaps has no correlation with writing. Why? Because it has affected all shows equally (the slope of decline over the last 30 years is roughly parallel for all shows). This was true despite the fact that some shows were in writing "heydays" and so forth. The overall decline of daytime has to do with many things -- out of home women, increased viewing choices, etc.

- I think STUNTS affect the weekly ratings a little. (I also think there are other phenomena...like the Friday-dropoff for all shows every week). So, if they really promote "Sudden Impact", ratings WILL go up on that day and the day after.

- I think writing, in the short term, affects RANK ORDER. So, for example, the reason GH has fallen in rank order (at least in the households) is almost certainly due to writing. This is separate from the overall decline of daytime, which is industry-wide, and cannot be laid at the feet of writing.

- Many here and elsewhere have said that the quality of daytime has declined. If this is true, I still don't think it is the CAUSE of ratings decline, but likely the SYMPTOM. In other words, ratings decline, and that leads to desperation moves like fire-veterans, write action-adventure, sex-up the show, stunts, etc. In that sense, I think there may be a reciprocal relationship between the decline of the genre (ratings wise) and the reactive creative changes that happen.

- But, in the end, the decline of the genre is more due other non-soap forces.

- The MAB decline in early 2008, I believe, WAS due to writing. That is one of those short-term changes. Although Y&R maintained its rank order, it closed the gap in HH ratings by quite a bit. My personal hypothesis is that long-term viewers were DISGUSTED with Victor slobbering all over Sabrina and forgetting Victor's vasectomy (just as they have forgotten Ashley's infertility), and that that was the MAIN reason for viewer tuneout.

Nope.

- Sharon loses time

- Sharon sold her baby to a shady lawyer

- The lawyer would want his profit. But instead he gave the baby to Alice

- Therefore, it is NO stretch at all for Sharon to have had twins (but forgotten). Because he got an unexpected two-fer, the shady lawyer sold one (Cassie's twin) and gave the other to Alice (Cassie).

Therefore the twin is out there.

Archived