The Suds Report: May 22, 2009

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If every actor with issues of one kind or another stopped being an actor or refused to do soaps there would be no actors and no soaps. I don't understand this assumption that all actors must be willing to do anything and everything at a moment's notice, even if it's completely different than what they signed up for, no questions asked. I don't buy that. Everyone has boundaries. Everyone. And when you're in an extremely emotional state, your boundaries automatically tighten up and restrict your comfort zone even further. This has gotten blown so insanely out of proportion by Branco, DC, and Perez.

It seems like this guy's been slowly cracking for awhile now and whatever the source of stress, it finally got to be too much for him and he kinda snapped. It happens. And if this episode was caused by some kind of emotional problem or breakdown, then it's nowhere near as unprofessional as say two ego-maniacs fist-fighting on the set IMO.

If TPTB knew that he was having serious issues with what he was being asked to play lately and then sprung the kiss on him without warning, frankly I think they're at least 50% at fault. Did he ruin his career permanently? I don't know, I hope not. If he can sort through whatever he's going through he should be given another shot.

• Members

If part of the problem is quitting because of what he views as an immoral act, then the soap genre doesn't seem to be the right genre for an actor with those kinds of beliefs. How many rapists, murders, stalkers, and other villain-types have been portrayed in this genre? Engen's character was a gray character from the beginning, yet now it's time to complain and quit? I hope he sorts out his problems, but every actor has problems with their storylines, that doesn't mean they quit over it.

• Members

She's entirely full of herself, and while she has some valid arguments, you can tell not having an Emmy haunts her ass. I mean, those awards are a joke anyway, and why is she STILL hung up over it? Get over it already. We know it's not a fair system, and you don't have one at home, but sheesh. It's hard to take her seriously sometimes.

• Members

Seriously. Beverlee f-u-c-k-i-n-g Mckinsey never won an award. It took Michael Zaslow about 20 years worth of wonderful material to finally get one. GL was snubbed for a Drama Series Emmy when it was at its very best. Ditto for a bunch of other actors and actresses. And as much as I like VR and Dru, she is no Bev.

• Webmaster

Before anyone thinks of bringing the Engen drama up in here thinking that it is him, think again. There were NO west coast actors at the "industry" party.

In addition, Zimmer was gracious about not being nominated. She had her time according to her! She wasn't thrilled that GL failed to get any major nods, however, in its final year on CBS.

Archived