The Suds Report: May 22, 2009

• Members

Haha! Thanks, Dee. What made them think anyone wanted to see Malcolm sexing up the grieving mother?

Oh god now I'm remembering Vanessa Lerner, big discussion about whether or not she was Jewish. And Dru's classic "At least she's a sista!" back when Damon was sexing up Phyllis. KHC was horrible on Y&R.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you!

YRwriters-1.gif

On the graph above, February 14 2002 is week 110. September 1, 2005 is week 296.

There is ABSOLUTELY a huge plummet after the first departure (blue line, at the left). But it is the same decline Alden had before Shemar left.

Now, I think Logan's point was that the loss post-Shemar was mostly in African American viewers...but I don't have those data.

Ratings-wise (and I'm not blaming Alden), Alden's regime was a DISASTER. (All of daytime was falling). The only regime that showed faster decline was the MAB/JG regime in early 2008. And LML's solo run (after KA/JS/ES etc. were gone) was the third most disastrous.

• Members

Look at the period after the first red arrow (Shemar's first departure, according to Alvin).

HUGE. Massive decline slope. I haven't figured out numbers, but it is clear that this was a big part of Alden's overall negative slope.

shemar.jpg

• Members

But there are different demographics and I do think you can prove that they go up and down based on certain storylines and actors. Y&R happens to have a large minority fanbase so losing a star like Victoria Rowell with no strong backup COULD affect those viewers. It's not an unreasonable thought, IMO. Honestly, I don't think she's the only solution to their minority problem, but she IS the easiest to write for (Dru, like a Victor or Jack writes herself) and they clearly have no interest in putting much thought into their stories.

• Members

There were three key losses in late 2001 - Feb 2002: 1) Ryan was killed; 2) AB left the role of Mac and 3) Shemar left. I also credit the whole Neil as a drunk on the streets S/L turning people off -- I know I FF through that. But that's what brought CK to the show and VR back. I remember when TV Guide reported the 1MM viewer loss and they tied it to Shemar -- the quote was: "He was good, but not THAT good." Obviously Logan (or whoever wrote that) didn't get it!

• Members

Yeah, it was Logan.

I guess what I seem to recall is that they REALLY lost African American viewers at that time. It wasn't across the board...it was ESPECIALLY the African American viewers. (I wish I could find that story).

So, what you point out above is that lots of different things could have caused the viewer loss -- especially the AA viewer loss. But it does make one wonder if what happened with Malcolm and Neil at that point -- with no Dru on scene to buffer against it -- really drove a lot of these viewer losses. I'm sure losing Ryan and so forth also mattered...but that is a REALLY STEEP period of decline.

• Members

It makes me miss fan-awards. I know the SOD awards were DEEPLY, DEEPLY flawed. (Back when I paid attention, DOOL won most of the awards...that would be the year David Hasselhoff and Catherine Hickland co-hosted, and the show was syndicated). But fan awards could be better done (use a polling firm, and random sampling), and it would give a chance for a second set of awards that is based on regular viewership--rather than peer nominations and selected scenes.

Do you really feel Y&R has moved on seamlessly? I feel like there is a huge hole where Rowell used to be. The whole awful Lane-Tyra-Karen debacle (it seems to me) has been sucked into the vacuum created by that hole...but the show still feels damaged to me in this regard. But obviously this is just my opinion.

• Members

I don't really think she wants to come back. I think she says that she's open to the possibility just to [!@#$%^&*] with TPTB but I doubt she truly wants to return. She knows that when her book drops next year, it will napalm any possibility of a return and I suspect she's looking forward to it. I also think she's feeling vindicated as more and more of the Y&R sickness comes to light.

Archived