Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Another World


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Felicia was such a different character when she first arrived in Bay City in January 1983.  In the few episodes that exist around her arrival, it's almost as if the writers were trying to make her into a daytime version of Dynasty's Alexis.  They would continue to write her this way  right through the Alma Rudder murder mystery, then they made Felicia more likeable.  It is definitely fun to see the beginning of Felicia's relationship with frenemy/step-daughter Cecile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
5 minutes ago, watson71 said:

Felicia was such a different character when she first arrived in Bay City in January 1983.  In the few episodes that exist around her arrival, it's almost as if the writers were trying to make her into a daytime version of Dynasty's Alexis.

Totally agree.

 

I remember watching Rachel and Mac's double wedding with Blaine and Sandy, and Felicia was very unsympathetic.  She was bullying Julia and making catty remarks.  Very unlike how she was later written.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, watson71 said:

Felicia was such a different character when she first arrived in Bay City in January 1983.  In the few episodes that exist around her arrival, it's almost as if the writers were trying to make her into a daytime version of Dynasty's Alexis.  They would continue to write her this way  right through the Alma Rudder murder mystery, then they made Felicia more likeable.  It is definitely fun to see the beginning of Felicia's relationship with frenemy/step-daughter Cecile.

Yeah.  Felicia started off as being cold and then all of a sudden she is a heorine but I think AW really wanted to use the Alexis factor some years later when they bought Iris back.  In fact, they made sure the name "Carrington" was used in the ending credits with Iris's name.  Carrington was Iris's first husbands name.  That was 4 husbands ago and Beverlee McKinsey's version of Iris was no Alexis or Joan Collins but Carmen Duncan was British with the accent and even the same wardrobe like.  The producers and creators of Dynasty were actually fans of AW and they even used the characters of Crystle & Blake like Mac & Rachel with the age difference relationship and a resentful daughter and also used the name Carrington.  In 1988, AW needed some hype and I believe reinveting Iris like Alexis was there narrative.  I think Dynasty was probably already on its way out on primetime..

 

On 3/30/2021 at 1:35 PM, DRW50 said:

I can see where some might feel it didn't fit AW, but I still enjoy the song, and the credits. I can watch them over and over. I can't do that with the very dated late '90s credits that they took 80% of the cast out of...

The theme should have lasted its rest of entire run.  Could not stand the Crystal Gayle and whoever he is opening.  The last theme from the late 90's I will admit was somewhat nice but the episodes from the late 90's were by far the worst.  I actually was no longer watching the show at this time other than the occasional sick day at home from work and was so dazed and confused how different the show was.  I guess just the next episode of Days of our Lives.  The theme from the 70's is just outstanding and so fit for what Another World was then.  The drama, the broadway, the theatrical characters..

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
20 hours ago, watson71 said:

Felicia was such a different character when she first arrived in Bay City in January 1983.  In the few episodes that exist around her arrival, it's almost as if the writers were trying to make her into a daytime version of Dynasty's Alexis.  

 

19 hours ago, denzo30 said:

AW really wanted to use the Alexis factor some years later when they bought Iris back.  In fact, they made sure the name "Carrington" was used in the ending credits with Iris's name.  Carrington was Iris's first husbands name.  That was 4 husbands ago and Beverlee McKinsey's version of Iris was no Alexis or Joan Collins but Carmen Duncan was British with the accent and even the same wardrobe like.  The producers and creators of Dynasty were actually fans of AW and they even used the characters of Crystle & Blake like Mac & Rachel with the age difference relationship and a resentful daughter and also used the name Carrington.  In 1988, AW needed some hype and I believe reinveting Iris like Alexis was there narrative.  I think Dynasty was probably already on its way out on primetime..

 

How many Alexis clones were on daytime dramas in the 1980s? To me an Alexis clone would have the following elements:

- Mother that abandoned their family to live a jet set life.

- Wealthy widow that runs their late husband's business.

- Foreign diva.

- Lives in a luxury penthouse.

 

I can understand Alexis clones coming on around 1983, 1984 when Dynasty was at the height of its popularity, but by 1987, 1988 Dynasty was way past its prime.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Who was headwriter when the writer's strike happened in 1981? I know L Virginia Brown and Linda Hamner were listed as HWs in Sept 1981 when the strike ended. Was Brown head writer in May/June 81 when they stopped showing writer credits?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

1 hour ago, kalbir said:

How many Alexis clones were on daytime dramas in the 1980s? To me an Alexis clone would have the following elements:

- Mother that abandoned their family to live a jet set life.

- Wealthy widow that runs their late husband's business.

- Foreign diva.

- Lives in a luxury penthouse.

 

I am not sure I agree this is what defines an Alexis clone broadly speaking.

Introducing an Alexis-like character does not mean mimicking every story beat. It just means introducing a very over-the-top-classy-wealthy bitch boss character. The particulars can differ.
Iris was definitely a mild version of that when she came back as Carmen Duncan but I agree considering the timing I don't know if it was an effort to copy Dynasty or more being inspired by an archetype and using it when reinventing the character.
Ironically, while I understand Dynasty had a bigger cultural impact, I think soaps would have done well to be more inspired by Knots Landing's Abby who was, too, a "scheming bitch" type character but who was usually motivated by her ambition rather than vindictiveness and was therefore a better model for a soap because she had a clear thoroughline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Posted (edited)

Felicia Gallant was based on romance novelist Jacqueline Susann not Alexis Carrington. Headwriter Robert Soderberg had been friends with Jacqueline. 

Edited by Efulton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I know when AW revealed that Joy was really Maggie in 1993, Sandy came back for 5 episodes and it was a recast. Then a few years later they approached Kin Shriner to assume Sandy. It never happened. I wonder why Sandy was never brought back and why Jamie wasnt either in the final years, Missed Opportunities iMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
21 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

Who was headwriter when the writer's strike happened in 1981? I know L Virginia Brown and Linda Hamner were listed as HWs in Sept 1981 when the strike ended. Was Brown head writer in May/June 81 when they stopped showing writer credits?

Yeah. L. Virginia Browne became head writer in December 1980, so she was there when the strike happened. I think Corinne Jacker was the one who wrote the show during the strike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Yeah. L. Virginia Browne became head writer in December 1980, so she was there when the strike happened. I think Corinne Jacker was the one who wrote the show during the strike.

Interesting that you think Jacker was the strike HW.  We know that Swajeski got her job as HW after writing the show during the 88 strike.  It makes sense that the producers found non union playwrights to work on the show during the strike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 minutes ago, RavenWhitney said:

Interesting that you think Jacker was the strike HW.  We know that Swajeski got her job as HW after writing the show during the 88 strike.  It makes sense that the producers found non union playwrights to work on the show during the strike.

I just checked on AWHP in the correspondence section. In the interview with L. Virginia Browne, it does say that Jacker took over during the strike.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
26 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

I just checked on AWHP in the correspondence section. In the interview with L. Virginia Browne, it does say that Jacker took over during the strike.

WOW!!! You learn something new everyday.

Please register in order to view this content

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 4/3/2021 at 9:22 PM, Neil Johnson said:

Does anyone remember where Ada and Rachel lived, before Ada married Ernie Downs and moved into his house?

 

 

According to the Another World Homepage Ada appears on February 28, 1967.  She is introduced as Liz Matthews hairdresser.  Her brother Sam lives with her as well.  Rachel appears on March 8, 1967.   Were they living at their house on Bowman Street at this time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 3,642

      Soap Hoppers --The Soap Actors And Roles Thread

    2. 3,734

      Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

    3. 3,734

      Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

    4. 3,734

      Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

    5. 3,448

      DAYS behind the scenes, articles/photos

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy