Another World

• Members

Felicia was such a different character when she first arrived in Bay City in January 1983.  In the few episodes that exist around her arrival, it's almost as if the writers were trying to make her into a daytime version of Dynasty's Alexis.  They would continue to write her this way  right through the Alma Rudder murder mystery, then they made Felicia more likeable.  It is definitely fun to see the beginning of Felicia's relationship with frenemy/step-daughter Cecile.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah.  Felicia started off as being cold and then all of a sudden she is a heorine but I think AW really wanted to use the Alexis factor some years later when they bought Iris back.  In fact, they made sure the name "Carrington" was used in the ending credits with Iris's name.  Carrington was Iris's first husbands name.  That was 4 husbands ago and Beverlee McKinsey's version of Iris was no Alexis or Joan Collins but Carmen Duncan was British with the accent and even the same wardrobe like.  The producers and creators of Dynasty were actually fans of AW and they even used the characters of Crystle & Blake like Mac & Rachel with the age difference relationship and a resentful daughter and also used the name Carrington.  In 1988, AW needed some hype and I believe reinveting Iris like Alexis was there narrative.  I think Dynasty was probably already on its way out on primetime..

The theme should have lasted its rest of entire run.  Could not stand the Crystal Gayle and whoever he is opening.  The last theme from the late 90's I will admit was somewhat nice but the episodes from the late 90's were by far the worst.  I actually was no longer watching the show at this time other than the occasional sick day at home from work and was so dazed and confused how different the show was.  I guess just the next episode of Days of our Lives.  The theme from the 70's is just outstanding and so fit for what Another World was then.  The drama, the broadway, the theatrical characters..

• Members

How many Alexis clones were on daytime dramas in the 1980s? To me an Alexis clone would have the following elements:

- Mother that abandoned their family to live a jet set life.

- Wealthy widow that runs their late husband's business.

- Foreign diva.

- Lives in a luxury penthouse.

I can understand Alexis clones coming on around 1983, 1984 when Dynasty was at the height of its popularity, but by 1987, 1988 Dynasty was way past its prime.

• Members

I am not sure I agree this is what defines an Alexis clone broadly speaking.

Introducing an Alexis-like character does not mean mimicking every story beat. It just means introducing a very over-the-top-classy-wealthy bitch boss character. The particulars can differ.
Iris was definitely a mild version of that when she came back as Carmen Duncan but I agree considering the timing I don't know if it was an effort to copy Dynasty or more being inspired by an archetype and using it when reinventing the character.
Ironically, while I understand Dynasty had a bigger cultural impact, I think soaps would have done well to be more inspired by Knots Landing's Abby who was, too, a "scheming bitch" type character but who was usually motivated by her ambition rather than vindictiveness and was therefore a better model for a soap because she had a clear thoroughline.

• Members

I know when AW revealed that Joy was really Maggie in 1993, Sandy came back for 5 episodes and it was a recast. Then a few years later they approached Kin Shriner to assume Sandy. It never happened. I wonder why Sandy was never brought back and why Jamie wasnt either in the final years, Missed Opportunities iMHO

• Members

According to the Another World Homepage Ada appears on February 28, 1967.  She is introduced as Liz Matthews hairdresser.  Her brother Sam lives with her as well.  Rachel appears on March 8, 1967.   Were they living at their house on Bowman Street at this time?