Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah. 

I have to admit Marley is my favorite of the twins, so my interest only really is there when she's properly cared for. The show caving in to Jensen's demands still bugs me and it did Vicky no favors as a character either. Anne Heche tried to have both characters treated respectfully. It's not that hard. It's just common sense. Both thrive when they are together in story and contrast in story.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Watched some 1978 episodes, and 1978 DW could get it, he was hot

Never liked DW/VW romantically but their figh TV scenes were FIRE

And not sure how peeps believed DW/BM could pass as father and daughter, even her retched replacement looks like Mac's Ex wife

Is Laura Malone the og Blaine, cuz I noticed watching these clips when Blaine and Jamie  leave town, I presume to usher in Bekins as the new Jamie, Malone is not in the closing credits?

Edited by rlj

• Members

in a 1983 SOD article Warren Burton (Jason Dunlap) called AW 'horrendous' and 'the most awful time in my life, in the business'

He said a lot of the problem may have been his own. '

People at AW were isolated from each other. Certain people would have favors extended to them that others wouldn't. And the echelon, if that's the word for it, was well marked.I mean you knew what your status was. I don't believe in stars on soaps, at least not backstage. i certainly don't believe that one puts more work into it than another.

I think it's all a body of supporting parts. There's no better example, I think, than someone like Susan Lucci. who couldn't be more popular with the audience, but who pitches in with the rest of the cast, sharing the work load and joy without special attention.

There(AW) you were made to think like it was the old A movie and B movies system. It was not a happy place. So, in fact, i finally gave my notice, and I'd never left a show in my life.

Why do the names Paul Rauch and Victoria Wyndham spring to mind?

• Members

There's a reason VW never worked again in daytime.  There are stories from many actors that AW was miserable backstage.  VW was the only one there throughout all the EP and writer regimes. Think about all the other actors from cancelled soaps who were immediately rehired: Gabet, Malloy, Ann Flood, Joel Crothers, Lois Kibbee.  Everyone who talks about Edge has nothing but amazing things to say about the Henry/Erwin years.   Has there every been a positive AW backstage story?

• Members

All of these actors were past the Rauch era.

From reading about Rauch/Lemay there seems to be a definite pecking order and Watson, Wyndham, Ford and McKinsee were highly regarded. I think part of that was reflected in the writing in those days - pretty much everything revolved around those characters, even more so when ratings started to drop.

I guess by the time Burton came along that was quite entrenched and maybe some of the actors believed that they were responsible for the show's success and not happy about now being part of a faltering show, with so many others coming and going.

It wasn't until 82 that Cass,Felicia, Donna came along that there were new characters that actually stuck around.

• Members

--in a 1983 SOD article Warren Burton (Jason Dunlap) called AW 'horrendous' and 'the most awful time in my life, in the business"--

David Canary said similar things after his run as Steve Frame on AW.  One of the things he said specifically was "the star of the show was a very unhappy woman", or something along those lines.   

--There's a reason VW never worked again in daytime--

I'm not sure I agree with your speculation about VW's post-AW career.  I think she was ready to retire from acting.  Being the star of a soap that was on the downhill-slide for twenty-years was probably exhausting and discouraging.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

In this interview Burton was on GL and happy with the work environment there.

I agree re VW. Also, she was so identified with Rachel that the other shows may not have been interested. And there were not many roles available in that age group.

Remember, she pulled out of DOOL when she realized the part was miniscule. can't really blame her I guess.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Tbh, I'm surprised Warren Burton lasted as long as he did on AW. The character of Jason really seemed like a non-entity after the whole Russ/Tracy thing ended. His relationship with Melissa went nowhere and the whole turning Jamie's book into a movie thing that he got involved with in 1982, from what I've seen and read about it seemed pointless from the very beginning. 

I guess around the time that he and David Canary both left, Paul Rauch fatigue had set in, which after 12 years would make perfect sense. It seems like there might have been a clash of egos from everybody. Which brings me to the question, did Paul Rauch leave on his own or was he fired? His last years were a mess. 

I'd give anything to have Victoria Wyndham write a memoir about her years on AW. If she was unhappy, why did she stay so long?

Well, everybody always had nice things to say about Douglass Watson and Constance Ford.

What stories have you heard about AW actors being unhappy?

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I think by the end she also felt a loyalty to the idea or history of the show, more than what she had to work with. I think that's what she suggested as the reason why she was still there at the end. I remember her confronting Michael Logan (when he interviewed her) over his negative comments about her work as Justine, and her basically saying it was garbage and she did what she had to do to get through.

• Members

Of course she was likely unhappy. She saw a vibrant show be turned into a trainwreck. She did her job and played Justine. I'm sure as an actor it was a challenge and many accept a challenge, whether they like it or not. She had a loyalty to the show, as most actors now seem to have.