Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 2/6/2020 at 4:08 AM, Paul Raven said:

Lemay may have written the Matthews family differently in his tenure but they were not decimated by any means.

Yes Mary was killed off, Alice recast and Russ written out but there was nothing that couldn't have been corrected.

 

Russ was brought back later as was Susan but post Lemay Mike, Marianne, Russ. Pat, Alice were all dropped.

 

Subsequent regimes made half hearted attempts to revive the family.

 

The late 70's/early 80's was the time the show needed to keep the Matthews in play, nowt write them off.

 

But the same thing was happening to the Hughes, Hortons and Bauers.

In the late 80's, they sort of made an attempt to bring back the Matthews family when it was revealed that Josie was Russ' daughter. They brought Russ back (for a short time) and Liz. Olivia was also introduced and stuck around for a time. Josie's last name was even changed to Matthews, but when the character came back mid-90's her last name was back to Watts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Russ and Pat could have eased into patriach/matriach roles but in the 80's and 90's soaps were running away from those type of characters.

 

Remember when JFP pretty much dropped everyone over 50?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, Paul Raven said:

Remember when JFP pretty much dropped everyone over 50?

 

That was awful. Imagine if Doug Watson had still been alive, well and still on AW? If she had tried anything with him, I'm sure that irate fans would have been picketing outside the Brooklyn studios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 5:25 PM, Paul Raven said:

Russ and Pat could have eased into patriach/matriach roles but in the 80's and 90's soaps were running away from those type of characters.

 

Remember when JFP pretty much dropped everyone over 50?

Yep, that was so shortsighted. What makes soaps special is that they're multigenerational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

 

That was awful. Imagine if Doug Watson had still been alive, well and still on AW? If she had tried anything with him, I'm sure that irate fans would have been picketing outside the Brooklyn studios.

 

The same goes for Constance Ford is she was alive, well, and still on AW.  Given Ford's reputation for not suffering fools, I imagine that she and JFP would not have seen eye to eye, especially if she tried to remove Ford's Ada from the show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, Paul Raven said:

Russ and Pat could have eased into patriach/matriach roles but in the 80's and 90's soaps were running away from those type of characters.

 

Remember when JFP pretty much dropped everyone over 50?

I actually don’t remember JFP dropping everyone over 50. Refresh my memory, please. Who did she drop? I recall her propping up Linda Dano, David Forsyth, Anna Holbrook, Charles Keating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, VanessaReardon said:

I actually don’t remember JFP dropping everyone over 50. Refresh my memory, please. Who did she drop? I recall her propping up Linda Dano, David Forsyth, Anna Holbrook, Charles Keating. 

She fired Barbara Berjer (Bridget) and David Hedison (Spencer). Among many other short sighted and disastrous decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Efulton said:

She fired Barbara Berjer (Bridget) and David Hedison (Spencer). Among many other short sighted and disastrous decisions. 

Yeah, because Berjer and Hedison were the keys to AW’s success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was material for the older and/or longer-running actors during JFP's run as executive producer. Justine's reign of terror. The Sharlene/John/Felicia triangle. Michael's return and how it affected Donna & Matthew. Cecile's return and the tease that Maggie was Cass' daughter. I'm just skeptical that any of these stories are well-regarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Franko said:

There was material for the older and/or longer-running actors during JFP's run as executive producer. Justine's reign of terror. The Sharlene/John/Felicia triangle. Michael's return and how it affected Donna & Matthew. Cecile's return and the tease that Maggie was Cass' daughter. I'm just skeptical that any of these stories are well-regarded.

AW was very dark and dour back then. Justine's reign of terror was really cartoony. And just plain awful. Donna and Matt were a great couple. JFP broke them up for good. Out of nowhere Felicia started feeling old and unattractive . While becoming very close to John. While Sharlene was away.  Robyn Griggs who was great as Maggie was fired. For dating John Wayne Bobbitt. The other Maggie's were awful. Maggie became completely unlikable. Cecile's return wasn't well handled at all. The retconning of Cass as Maggie's father made no sense at all. Ryan. Bridget and Frankie were all murdered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies for dissing  Ms JFP - I had my timelines mixed up. She did kill off Bridget but later teams put older characters on recurring and then wrote them off.

Mind you JFP did plenty of other stuff she could be criticized for -  AW- ER/BCPD Blue...

Edited by Paul Raven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VanessaReardon said:

Yeah, because Berjer and Hedison were the keys to AW’s success. 

 

Maybe not, but the audience loved those actors (and others) very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...