Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So I have been rewatching the 80's.  It is now 1985 and the wheels have fallen off.  LeSoleil...what the %$^& is that?  The chasing of Egyptian and Indian art in Arizona, Taylor Miller as Sally Frame....  The show is just a mess.  They are chasing the 80's formula, but very badly.  I am guessing soon the revamping of the show is coming where the focus goes to the Loves, the McKinnons and the Cory's.  But for now, we have all this bizarre storylines going on....

• Members

The Egyptian story was screwed up for many reasons, but primarily because it was originally supposed to be a real location shoot in Egypt. Somehow the trip was cancelled at the last minute, and they transferred the action to Arizona.  It was embarrassingly ridiculous.  And in addition to that, the sci-fi/magic garbage didn't belong on AW in the first place -- AW had always been the most believable soap on television.  Over the top plots never worked on AW, but they kept trying them all the way until the end.  

• Members

I heard that the Achille Lauro hijacking was the reason why the Egypt shoot was cancelled. Makes you wonder if the story and everything that happened (Carl kidnapping Marley, Kathleen becoming paralyzed) were part of the original plans or had to be rewritten too.

And I agree with you about how this messed up AW. This was like the first time the show veered off into unrealistic plots and it messed it up badly.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I wish there was footage of Tim Holcomb playing Jamie.  I remember when he showed up.  The teen Jamie was so unattractive and this hot guy shows up but only lasted about 6 months or so.  He left a for a few weeks and then Richard Beckins ( is that his name?) was recasted in the role and probably was most notably knowing as Jamie Frame.  DOes anyone have any Tim Holcomb video?  I think we have seen everything possible AW that is out there?

By the end of 1987 into 1988 AW changed course again and started to write about characters again and not stories.  The Frames came back and the Corys were the emphasis.  I did not care for the whole Mckinnnon family maybe because they replaced the familes I knew from the 70's

• Members

I have to admit I fast forward through a lot that is not Donna centric.  I didn't hate the McKinnon's but MJ that was hooker turned cop...ouch...  Vince was recast about 4 times, I think.  And while I enjoyed Reginald Love, mostly because of his dynamic with Donna and Peter, the Mary KcKinnon/Marissa LaSalle stuff was in my eyes pretty bad.

• Members

It did seem like Depriest was finally on the right track in her last six months of her stint..with Sam/Amanda...with the Lisa/Jamie/vicky triangle (shades of Alice/steve/rachel)...plus Cass/Nicole...with Donna finally be written like Donna...and the weird scenes of Jason/Nicole right b4 she left as head writer (watching those scenes made the reveal she killed him 1+ years later make a little more sense..imho).

• Members

1985 was a weird year for AW.  Allen Potter retired as executive producer at the end of 1984.  He was replaced the first week of 1985 with Stephen Schenkel.  Potter "righted the ship" and kept AW on track for the majority of 1983-84.  While he did raise the ratings, Potter could not move AW from the middle of the pack, nor did he win an Emmy like he did at The Doctors and Guiding Light.  I suspect that if AW moved to the top of the ratings or won an Emmy, that Potter would have stuck around longer at AW.  Published reports at the time had ATWT executive producer Mary Ellis Bunim was to be the new executive producer at  AW, but she went to Santa Barbara instead.   I'm not sure where P&G and NBC found Stephen Schenkel.  After he left AW he was hired at All My Children.

Richard Culliton and Gary Tomlin started off the year as headwriters.  Then, there was a writer's strike in the Spring, and Sam Hall and Gillian Spencer were hired as headwriters in the summer.   They were terrible headwriters, perhaps penning the absolute worst storyline in AW history- the Egyptian urn with the poisonous dust that Carl Hutchins hoped would kill Mac and Rachel.  NBC even put full page ads in TV Guide hoping this garbage storyline would attract viewers to AW.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by watson71