Another World

• Members

Apparently, there were a lot of mistakes made at this time from JFP, her writers and the suits at NBC and P&G. Some people wanted AW gone, some wanted to turn it into a DOOL clone. What was the deal with that vampire story anyway? What was it about? Thankfully, it was pulled before it really took off. 

What surprises me is that one of her headwriters was Tom King, who was Harding Lemay's protégé and successor. He wrote some really good stuff in 1979-1980, and yet his tenure under Phelps was a mess. Was there interference from the higher ups or was King suddenly a hack?

Coincidentally, this is where my memories of AW begin. I was 3 going on 4 at the time, and I used to watch with my Mom and Grandma.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When you have a character like Vicky -- who could be a heroine, a bitch or both, depending on the circumstances -- you have to have someone like Bridget as a "talk-to" for her, in order for the audience to understand her motivations, as well to serve as a surrogate for the audience, giving her a shot of the truth when it's called for.  Otherwise, there's the danger of her coming across as too arch or unsympathetic.

Of course, once Jensen Buchanan's Vicky basically became all heroine, losing her edge from before, you no longer needed Bridget to explain her to the audience.  (Same for Ada, I guess, as Rachel evolved from villain to the show's central character).  Nevertheless, Bridget still served a purpose -- just as you've described, @Efulton -- as a constant presence in Vicky's life, and a reminder of how much she had evolved over the years.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Bridget was certainly always a supporting character, never really had any desires of her own. I don't know if it was ever clearly defined when Vicky's adoptive parents (Grace and Philip Carson) were supposed to have died. On the one hand it was supposed to explain why Vicky had been raised poor and was so close to Bridget, but on the other Vicky treated Bridget more like a servant than a parent. That suggests to me that Vicky must have been old enough to think of Bridget as an employee before she lost the Carsons.

Ada was a more fully-realized character and had her own storylines independent of Rachel from time to time.

• Members

Till the mid 80s, Ada had her own stories and marriages..once she moved in with the Cory's..she became more supporting..but she co owned Mary's and than Paradise Cafe..plus had a brief fling with her old high school flame..who called her 'bubbles'.

Rachel lost her sarcastic edge and drive once JFP took over.  Oddly, she was the bright spot in the Jordan Stark story.  She was again Rachel..with drive, saracism, and also lost the weird accent she adopted.

• Members

Did Rachel lose the accent?  I don't remember that.  But that accent was weird as Hell.  What in the world was VW thinking?  Nobody picks up a British accent in middle-age.  Didn't that show have any directors?  

Also, Ada dating her high school sweetheart was a continuity error, because Ada and Rachel hadn't lived in Bay City until they moved there in 1967-68.  Ada certainly didn't go to school there.  In fact originally, Ada was from the South and even had a southern accent briefly.   Although I wasn't watching, if you read the scripts, she seems a bit like Opal Gardner during the first few weeks.  But then the writers began to write to Connie Ford's strengths, and she made the character her own.   

• Members

Don't quote me on this, but I think I've read somewhere that Victoria Wyndham developed that strange accent out of boredom, and the fact that neither the directors nor "the suits" called her on it proved her point about how neglected the show had become.

• Members

I thought Rachel was, generally, competently written during Swajeski's tenure as HW, but the difference here, in Lemay's brief return, is tremendous. Rachel is so incredibly layered and even what could have been an everyday mother-daughter chat comes alive. It reminds me of another fantastic scene she had in his return she she tore Liz up for accidentally telling Matt about the circumstances of his conception. I truly do mourn what we never got to see with a longer Lemay stint.