Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As I recall, Iris and Rachel were somewhat friendly pre-Mac, because Iris wanted to make sure Steve Frame and Alice reconciled, in order to get Alice away from Elliott Carrington.  At the time, Iris was desperate to reconcile with Elliott.  But Steve was married to Rachel, which prevented he and Alice from getting back together.  Iris pretended to be friendly with Rachel to get information about her marriage to Steve, and perhaps to break them up.  I think Iris even took Rachel to New York on a shopping spree.  But she secretly criticized Rachel behind her back.  I think Iris eventually openly betrayed Rachel in some way, and that contributed to Steve and Rachel's split, allowing Steve to go back to Alice.   But yes, their sons were best friends for years.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

My favorite part of that is Jamie is giving Sandy a once-over when we get "new, endearing romance."

Looks like it may have been a locally made promo, cobbled together. Maybe the show was airing in that affiliate for the first time.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I thought it might have been a promo from an independent station that picked up AW when it was  dropped by an affiliate but on checking KCRA was an NBC affiliate at that time and in fact had been so for many years, so maybe it had been dropped at some point and was rejoining the lineup.

• Members

Based on what is in the Soaps & Serials novelization (book 4, "Love's Encore"), Iris thought poorly of Rachel and was only interested in how she could use her to influence Steve to take Alice away from Eliot Carrington [Iris' estranged/ ex-husband], and Rachel wanted to social-climb Iris. They didn't actually like each other and they didn't really have the same goals.

Iris on Rachel: "She's not the brightest creature you'll ever meet, but she is actually pretty in a common sort of way, and she's also extremely sexy." "Iris found Rachel an unbelievably ignorant social climber of the worst order."

Rachel on Iris: "Because Iris could introduce her to all kinds of people, all kinds of important people, she very much wanted Iris as a friend."

Iris offered to take Rachel to NYC for a shopping spree after Rachel and Steve's honeymoon in order to leave Steve at home alone on the theory that he would then be in contact with Alice. She had Louise eavesdropping on all kinds of conversations and when there is info about the possibility of Steve meeting up with Alice in Rachel's absence she maliciously wishes she could tell Rachel about it. In general it seems like Iris actively dislikes Rachel and Rachel is just incapable of liking anyone, she only thinks in terms of how they benefit her.

• Members

I do like the fact that even though both Rachel and Iris had issues with one another.. they didn't let that affect their sons being best friends... even in the late 80s/early 90s...  Iris was always warm and nice to Jamie.. while Rachel was the same way with Dennis. 

Oddly, I think the one thing that Swajeski did right about Rachel/Iris was make the two become strong frienimies after Mac's death... they learned to get along, even like one another at times, but there would always have instances where the two would still clash (i.e. Paulina's paternity, Spencer, Carl, etc).

• Members

Iris, Dennis, and Elliot were the first of the Carrington/Cory family to move to Bay City.  Followed by Mac at least a year later.  Steve was still alive when Mac and Rachel married, and Frame Enterprises was the construction company Mac used to remodel the mansion he bought for Rachel.  Steve didn't die until summer 1975.

• Members

Did Iris come to Bay City due to Dennis having health problems and Russ being his doctor, thus leading to Russ/Iris romance?

Or have I got this mixed up.

Mac was first on the scene played by the first actor who was not the dashing catch portrayed by Douglass Watson.

Although the story is there was no intention to pair up Rachel and Mac, I wonder what the original plans were when Mac was recast with a more attractive actor?