Another World

• Members

Alice ran away from Bay City and got hired by Eliot Carrington as Dennis' private nurse under an assumed name. Iris was maddened by the idea that Alice and Eliot were romantically interested in each other and schemed and connived to keep them apart. Iris found out who Alice really was and that her brother was a doctor, and I guess there was also something that suggested he had expertise in Dennis' specific heart problem, so she made an appointment for Dennis with Russ.

Even before that for some reason Eliot took Dennis and Alice to St Croix when Steve and Rachel were also there. I had always associated St Croix with the Mitch/Janice storyline years later but for some reason it was already a place that featured in Another World even this early.

Edited by Xanthe
typo

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Steve and Alice had a house in St Croix. Jim and Mary were vacationing there when Mary died.

Lemay has said that he didn't think about putting Mac and Rachel together until he saw Douglass and Wyndham together on screen, but who knows? Iris was pushing for Mac and Liz to get together, and Liz, at least, believed it would happen (and practically had a breakdown when she learned that Mac and Rachel had married - actually attacking Rachel one day when they met at the hospital).

• Members

40 years ago this week- March 14, 1980-  one of Another World's most popular storylines culminated with Rachel killing Janice Frame in a swimming pool in St. Croix after Janice confronted Rachel as she was trying to save Mac.

• Members

Carole Shelley (RIP) and her delicious hamminess being in the middle of these episodes never fails to crack me up.

Christine Jones was absolutely phenomenal in this story. You can't take your eyes off her and you can't help feeling sorry for how broken Janice is.

• Members

I agree the Carole Shelley was playing up the ham factor.  I do kind of wish that Beverlee McKinsey was In these episodes.  I would have like to have seen what she would have done with the material when it's revealed that Janice was trying to kill Mac.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

NEW YORK 16th August 1967

The sign in the restaurant read: “No service tin 3:30. Ralph is on television.” The waiters and a few customers gathered around the small screen to watch Ralph Oliva in his role on NBC-TV’s daytime serial, “Another World.” He was playing a waiter and doing it superbly. And why not? When he isn’t engaged in his important and continuing role in “Another World” Oliva is one of the waiters in that restaurant. The other day Oliva paused on his way to set up the tables for lunch in his present offscreen job to discuss his unusual double life—a waiter in reality and in the fantasy world of television.

He said it happened like this: “I was a clarinettist in the Glenn Miller orchestra during the war but I gave up music to study acting. It’s tough for an unknown and I needed a source of income that wouldn’t take hours a day of practice. A friend suggested being a waiter. “I said I had never done any waiting on tables. Said my friend ‘You’re an actor aren’t you? Act like a waiter!’ So I went into a restaurant and asked for a job, acting ail the time. I must have given a believable performance because they gave me a job and I’ve been a waiter ever since, combining it with my acting career. “I used to send cards to agents reading: T’m appearing at Blank’s Restaurant, Mondays through Fridays. Come and see me.’

When the role of Charley the waiter came up in ‘Another World’ a casting director remembered my practical knowledge of the mechanics of the role and sent for me.” Oliva’s television part calls for considerable acting outside the prop restaurant. Since he has thus been gainfully employed for a year he was asked why he still felt it necessary to wait on tables in real life. “You can never have enough security,” he said. “Besides being a waiter give you fantastic experience in meeting people. You can study typists in tea rooms or tycoons in ‘The Four Seasons.’ Also I’ve always found restaurant owners considerate about time off. In one place, after filming all night, I fell asleep in the waiters room. The other waiters covered for me. “When the owner found me he complained to the union representative who said ‘lf Ralph makes it you’ll be able to say you helped a star.’ The owner gave in but grumbled: ‘I wish someone would pay me for sleeping.’

The world of daytime television is a surprising one. Oliva finds himself in demand by autograph collectors, even schoolgirls, and sometimes pauses, while serving the soup or fish, to scribble his name on a menu. “Not long ago I was working at the Forest Hills Tennis Club while the Monkees were out there.” he said. “It sounds ridiculous but kids were yelling ‘There’s Charley from Another World’ and I think I signed more autographs than the Monkees. Me, the waiter.”

• Members

Thanks! Wow, that never even crossed my mind as an option. I think seeing Brett made me think it must be someone relevant to her storyline. The only thing I remember about Marley and Dennis was that I found Chris Bruno dull and thought Marley should wind up with Byron. 

• Members

I haven't watched much of this period but I remember reading Eddie Drueding's relationship summaries (I love that he took the time to do those) and the whole idea of these wild sexual encounters always seemed forced to me. It doesn't help that Jensen Buchanan generally was not a very sexual actress.