Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Probably Mac and Rachel would have gotten back together and Mac never would have married Janice. One thing’s for sure is that the whole Harry Must Die storyline most likely would not have happened. On the bright side, that probably would have also meant no Mitch lol 

• Members

I know Lemay said he felt he had no choice but to write melodrama, but I don't see how the Janice story is any more extreme than the Sven saga, or introducing a sleazy boyfriend for Marianne solely to give Pat a breakdown and a murder trial. Or the Olive mess. 

The Mac and Rachel breakup was somewhat contrived, but the performances made it worth watching. Christine Jones was just exquisite. My complaints with that story are with the lazy, stale aftermath - anything after Janice died doesn't work for me.

• Members

Maeve left GL after a 20 year run that started in 1980 (she took three 6 month breaks during her 20 year run) and ended in 2000. Paul Rauch became EP in  Nov 1996; Maeve worked with Paul for three years/ stayed until Sept 2000.  She then returned in 2005 until the end (Wheeler/Kreizman/Swajeski).

• Members

Tom King seemed to have learned a thing or two from Lemay, and he was pretty good at writing for Rachel, Mac, Ada, and Iris.  But he didn't seem to understand Pat, Liz, or any of the remaining Matthews family, or the Perrini family, or just about any of Lemay's other characters (Blaine, Elena, Willis, Sylvie, etc.).  Plus, King was terrible at creating new characters.  Nearly all of his new characters were terrible failures and really harmed the show,  Additionally King hurt the show by introducing such a strong element of crime, police drama, and the mob.  For a couple of years, it seemed like half the cast was involved in plots that belonged on Edge of Night. King's only real successes were with Mac, Rachel, Ada, and Iris.  

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Rachel "killing" Mitch and going on trial – earning Doug Watson an Emmy in the process -- and then going to prison before busting out to track Mitch down was riveting to me as a kid. But in retrospect, yeah, it didn't do the show or the characters any favors. 

• Members

Condolences to Kaitlin Hopkins (AW's Dr. Kelsey Harrison) on the death of her mother, the spectacular actress Shirley Knight. According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Knight died Wednesday of natural causes at the home of her daughter, actress Kaitlin Hopkins, in San Marcos, Texas."

Among her many roles, Knight starred opposite Al Freeman Jr. (OLTL's Ed Hall) in the 1966 British film "The Dutchman."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shirley-knight-dead-sweet-bird-youth-dark-at-top-stairs-dutchman-actress-was-83-1133636?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• Members

Regarding The Maggie recasts in 1995:

I know Robyn Griggs was photographed with John Wayne Bobbit so AW fired her

Jodi Lyn O'Keefe was only 16/17 at the time so maybe age got her fired. She began Nash Bridges soon After

Lisa Brenner was there a year & was written off due to story right?

• Members

Yep

AW was definitely in copy GH mode at that time, but the whole mob thing always felt so out of place on this show. And you’re right about King’s     new characters. I did like Jerry and Margo, and the Bellmans but the Halloway family lent absolutely nothing to the show. Miranda was an Iris substitute, Kit was just boring and those random Brad and Craig guys, pining after Kit, were annoying. IMO, they never should have killed off Eileen or written out Angie and Rose either.

Yeah.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

And shortly after the P&G executive producer shuffle in 1995- once JFP arrived- AW rehired King.as co-headwriter for the show.  From August 95- May 96, King co-wrote the show with Craig Carlson.  In May 96 to January 97, King and Carlson served as breakdown writers for Margaret DePriest.  From January 97-March 97, King, Carlson, and Elizabeth Page served as headwriters. For March and April 97, King and Carlson were co-headwriters again until Michael Malone became the headwriter. King would remain a writer on the show until its cancellation.  

For a period during this time, even Harding Lemay returned to the show as a story consultant.  I wonder if JFP even asked his opinion of the ER/NYPD Blue mashup that she made of AW.