Another World

• Members

What was the point of rewriting Iris' backstory in 1978 and then rewriting it twice in 1988? Other than damaging Iris' ego and Electra complex it all seemed so pointless. I can see why now Bill Bell simply left Ashley's true parternage a secret to be left unspoken. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Linda has said that she didn't want Felicia to be a bitch, she admits to her own issues with wanting to be "liked".  I think TPTB took this to heart and went in a more sympathetic direction with the character.  Felicia was inspired by Jacqueline Susann, and the role was first offered to Jane Elliot.

Rae and Tracy's scenes on GH were so delicious, made even moreso by this shared history.

• Members

I'd argue that the 1979 reveal that Iris was adopted by Mac was a development that furthered story and character, eventually propelling Iris to stories -- and a series -- apart from Mac. I do think the 1988 "fix" was entirely unnecessary. 

• Members

Felicia changed a lot over the  years.  My least favorite was when she was with John Hudson, I hate any relationship that is predicated on "taming a wild spirit"  and John certainly never learned to appreciate Felicia's energy.  It is amusing in retrospect that she was brought on as an ex-lover of Carl Hutchins because (a) years later they acted like they never knew each other or only met while he was in town and (b) the whole-first-love-first-child story never fit the timeline from when she was introduced.

• Members

I agree. The only time i didn't like Felicia was her pairing with John. Something about it just didn't fit and she came off horribly toward Sharlene.

I never really enjoyed her pairing with Mitch either. I thought her best was Lucas and I even enjoyed her match with Zane which ended too quickly. 

• Members

I liked Felicia best when she was single and playing the field...it just fit her better.  The person that wanted the perfect romance, but either by bad luck or bad choices always lost.  And oddly I could see the first love and first child being lost as the motivation to be a success and becoming a romance writer.   

I also liked how Felicia would take some of the younger female characters under her wing as her assistant and/or mother figure ...such as Julia, Lisa, Jenna, Lorna, Sofia, and Remy.  It is a shame her connections to her niece and two daughters fell by the wayside....though inwad happy her friendship with Rachel stayed active up to the shows end.

And I do think the Iris being chief story would have worked better if the rewrite hadn't happened... it could have been revenge against Mac and Rachel.  With that said, Donna Swajeski did a good job making Rachel and Iris get along and have it be convincing after Mac's death.  It was the one positive thing frokm the red Swan story...and having Mac die before he forgave Iris was an element used to enhance Iris' character..imho.

• Members

I agree- the only time I didn't care for Felicia was when she was involved with John Hudson.    I wish that the writers would have made an attempt to bring back Lorna or Jenna before the show ended.  Those last couple of years, she had no relatives on the show.

• Members

I think Iris as the Chief is a great reveal without a great motivation.  I get that Texas is non-canonical to the AW universe but Iris's return negates her time in Houston.  She didn't need the cash, Dennis's inheritance was intact, and she had evolved from Mac's baby girl.  Texas-Iris lacked the passion and the confidence for business to pull off that scheme.  That's why she was never a threat to takeover World Oil; or Marshall Oil or whatever it was called.

The other obvious flaw in the story was Evan.  His connection to Janice was told so dubiously it seemed like the writers were trying to decide his actual origin after the character was introduced.  Replacing the actor did not help the character.  It was a classic soap problem, the exposition about the character is that he is a charming lout but then on screen he is depicted as a weasel.