Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Accepting recasts is often hard, particularly when the audience has been fond of the original actor in the role. ALL IN THE FAMILY could replace Carroll O'Connor with Sir Laurence Olivier, and there would be viewers screaming that he was a terrible actor, LOL.

Canary is a strong, dynamic performer, and certainly his suitability for the role is open to personal interpretation, but I do think the show could have done significantly worse in recasting Steven Frame. What if we had gotten...Kale Brown?

It's a shame you were not able to see ANOTHER WORLD every day, back in the 1960s and '70s; it might have given you a different perspective on Courtney's talent, which led to her remaining atop the Best Actress polls in Daytime TV for years, and which won her several awards as Best Actress from editors, critics, and fans.

While the petulant Lemay criticized her for a variety of reasons, I don't recall Rauch ever being quoted as finding fault with JC's acting. Indeed, upon Courtney's death, Rauch told Soap Opera Weekly that she had been a "great gal," who could always be counted on to give top-notch performances.

For myself, from a decade of viewing the show regularly, I felt Jacquie Courtney was an excellent actress, and I reacted to other actresses in the role of Alice with the same distaste other viewers felt for the replacement actors in different roles...like that of Steven Frame. smile.png

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

She always seems to be big noting herself. She claimed to have written storylines but never says what or when,that NBC held off on cancellation in the 80's because of her, and various other things.

As I said,maybe it's just me and my interpretation of her comments.

• Members

Watched a couple of eps from 80 and 81 this morning on YT. The 1980 ep was especially good. Tom King was HW, but it still had the Lemay-ish theatrical feel and the dialogue was excellent. The vets were front and center. With the 81 episode, L. Virginia Browne was now HW. The show seemed more melodramatic and plot-driven in tone than the 80 episode, and the dialogue wasn't as crisp. I think what surprised me most was how much I actually liked Vana Tribbey as Alice. I was a kid when these eps first aired, and I remember Tribbey's Alice as cold and remote. Although she seems a bit more remote than, say, Susan Harney, she was quite good. Again, Browne was writing at the time. Is it her stint or Corinne Jacker's stint that is universally loathed. Did Jacker come before or after Browne?

• Members

Corinne Jacker's Another World was all over the place. All of the following took place while she was headwriter:

The Rachel/Steve/Alice triangle was revived until Alice left town in Fall 1982; Pat Randolph leaves Bay City to run Cory Publishing's New York office; Jamie write a Peyton Place-style book about the citizens of Bay City which was optioned into a movie. The movie is later sabotaged; Clarice has a mid-life pregnancy; Ada sells The Hair Affair and takes a job at the police station working with children involved in crime; the short-lived Shea family arrives- mother Loretta killed by a car bomb and dad Harry is killed trying to rescue Rachel and Steve in a construction cave-in- son Pete becomes involved with Steve Frame's daughter Diana; Bob and Henrietta Morgan have marital problems; their son RJ gets involved with hoodlums; Quinn Harding's brother Ed comes to town; Quinn takes in Thomasina; The Male Panthers kidnap Matthew and Rachel has to rescue Matthew in San Diego. The Male Panthers implicate Mitch in the kidnapping and he is sent to jail; Mac decides to run for mayor of Bay City, and Mayor Stein uses Sandy and Blaine's relationship to discredit Mac until Mac drops out of the race. Mayor Stein then tries to discredit Brian Bancroft regarding his mental case son, Ted. Sandy photographs Mayor Stein paying bribes. Stein is caught in an FBI sting and Brian wins the election; Rachel gets involved with Russian sculptor Nikolai Pirenko; Jim Matthews dies of a heart attack in Finland; Alma Rudder and Cecile plot to drive Blaine crazy using her old diary; Cecile gives birth to Maggie Cory; Cass Winthrop arrives in Bay City; Louis St. George, a crooked art dealer, who is Cecile's father and Felicia Gallant's ex-husband, arrives in Bay City; after the movie fiasco Jamie becomes a university professor; Rachel is duped into selling Louis' stolen art at her gallery; Blaine's ex and Alma's brother, Buzz, causes trouble for Sandy and Blaine; Steve and Quinn hire architect Roy Bingham to work for the construction company.

Overall, AW switched gears every couple of months during her head-writing tenure in an attempt to restore the ratings.

Edited by watson71

• Members

I got dizzy just reading that....

As a huge Cecile fan I wish some of the storyline with her and Alma terrorizing Blaine was on Youtube. I know that Alma dressed up as a doll, didn't she? I'd love to watch that as I think I missed it as a kid. Of course, it was probably best that I didn't see an adult dressed as a doll running around terrorizing someone. haha