Another World

• Members

That's a good point. Although NBC did not keep episodes of the show for many years, kinescopes of the show were made for other markets, like Australia. Claire Labine once said that they found missing episodes of Ryan's Hope from other countries' collections. I just wonder how many such kinescopes of AW would have been kept. Would foreign markets have seen the benefit of preserving them?

(By the way, I love your photograph of "the other Mike Powers." :) )

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I recall reading (I believe it was in Gerry Waggett's AW Trivia Book) that when the show wanted to celebrate Vicky Wyndham's 25th anniversary on the show in 1997, neither NBC nor P&G had saved any tapes of the show prior to 1980 and had to make a request to fans via the internet to see if they had any of her key moments as Rachel pre-1980 in their own personal collections. They got enough footage from fans to use in that episode.

When was the fire that destroyed a lot of tapes of NBC shows? I'm wondering if any of those lost were the three The First Ladies Diaries specials that aired in 1975-76 in conjunction with the Bicentennial (and the Martha Washington one featured AW's James Luisi and garnered him an Emmy), and 1977's This is My Son, which starred TD's Carolee Campbell as the mother of a special needs child and won her an Emmy. I would LOVE to see them all and wonder if they exist anywhere anymore. No luck on YT, eBay or iOffer.

• Members

I did not see JC's acting daily but I have seen the avail episodes from the early days. Harding Lemay wrote in his book that Paul Rauch told him that JC constantly looks down at her hands to read her lines. He is the one who really put the plant in Lemays head about her being a bad actress (from eight years in another world). I really love JC or shall I say, her later years when she came back. Just seeing some of her stuff in the early days, I thought she was not great and seeing her in 1989 for the reunion thought she was awesome

I agree, we are creatures of habit and certain roles can not be replaced but Canary as Steve Frame does not work and honestly would have prefered to see Kale Brown as Steve. SMILES>>>

• Members

I had a through-the-mail autograph success today from Susan Keith Kiberd, who is probably best known in the soap world as Shana on Loving, but originated the role of Cecile on AW in 1979. Not only did she autograph the photo I sent, but she also sent back a lovely, handwritten note. I had never known that her longtime hubby James Kiberd (always known to me as Trevor "Uncle Porkchop" Dillon on AMC) had also once been on AW, in the late 80s. I will email the images to Carl so he can get them posted here, but I will tell you that she wrote of their soap days, "Good times. Still friends with many of our soap families. Life is good!"

Cecile may have been a nasty piece of work (especially in her original inception), but Mrs. Kiberd is a doll. What a sweetheart.

Laura Malone (Blaine, 1978-1984) has been a lawyer for many years, for such heavy players as the AP and Getty Images. Since November of 2014, she has been an attorney at the Seattle headquarters of Zulily. Here is a current photo of her on her LinkedIn page. She looks wonderful!!

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/laura-malone/2/145/893

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Actually, when Lemay took over the reigns of AW (his scripts started airing in August, 1971), Lyle B. Hill (who was also producing SOMERSET at the time) was the producer. Paul Rauch was not there, and would not be hired until the following year.

In his autobiography, on page 52, Lemay recalls his first trip to the studio, and his initial meeting with the actors. He asserts that during his prior months of watching the show from home, Jacquie Courtney had "rarely" looked directly at her costars during scenes; that she would repeatedly glance downwards in a demure fashion, like a silent movie heroine. The writer found this intriguing at first, but was later irritated by the habit, and said that he discovered during his first studio visit that Courtney's downward gaze was a way for her to read key words from the scripts, which she had written on her nurse's uniform. In a typical bitchy manner, Lemay proclaimed that she did so because she didn't feel like going through the drudgery of learning lines. It is pretty clear that he had a hair up his butt about the actress from the get-go.

There is only about 90 minutes or so of available material featuring Courtney from AW's golden era, but even viewers of such a small sample can see that the charge of her "rarely" looking at her costars is bogus. When he wrote various outrageous comments about the actors whom he chose to denigrate, Lemay did not know that their work, or at least some of their work, would later show up on the internet.

• Members

Thanks for these, Carl and Monika! How cute is Susan Keith (Kiberd)'s headshot? Very. And Laura Malone looks great. It's wonderful that she's a successful lawyer now.

I just worked yesterday with Diane Bradley fka Bradley Bliss (Kit Farrell/Holloway) yesterday on a pilot for FX. She told me she's working a lot as a freelance writer. She thanked me again for pointing her to a YT channel which has great quality episodes of her time on AW. She said her nieces have really gotten a kick out of them.

Edited by TimWil