Another World

• Members

I read online (probably above) a question from a poster who wondered if Jacqueline Courtney and Virginia Dwyer remained close after their depatures from Another World.

I am wondering if the producers of One Life to Live considered the hiring of Ms. Dwyer as Helene Ashley, the mother of the two characters that were played by Ms. Courtney on that show. Augusta Dabney played the role, but I would think that Ms. Courtney would have suggested to the actress the role to Ms. Dwyer when it was being cast or would have suggested Ms. Dwyer to the producers as a way to get some publicity in the press.

Or, had Ms. Dwyer decided to quietly retire from acting by this time?

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Actually, i think vana Tribbey was a good choice for Alice. She and Rachel had a good vibe as rivals though not sure she had chemistry with Mac or Mitch...Tbh.

I've never seen harney except in an episode where she was going through PTSD after the fire. I wonder how Jacqueline Courtney would have played that.

Also, I think Alice would.have stayed on long term had Courtney not been fired due to her popularity and the charisma she eluded. Even lemay had to admit she had that certain something that made people watch. And from the few scenes I saw of her...I think she did well with lemays material..though I think Nixon wrote her better as a character then lemay did..based on the few scenes I saw of Alice during the Nixon era.

• Members

I think Susan Harney was a WONDERFUL replacement for Jacqueline Courtney, if a replacement was necessary.

I agree that the character of Alice would have remained on the show if Ms. Courtney had not left. That the show kept trying replacement after replacement, I think, reinforces that.

And, I think that Mr. Lemay did not want to give the character of Alice much good material.

• Members

Its interesting to read the outlines on the another world site from the first few years regarding Alice.

Even though she was a background character for the first three or years of the show. The show wisely still incorporated the experiences her older sister pat had to develop Alice. Alice being unable to emotionally committed to either her first boyfriend and her second boyfriend made perfect sense if you take into account witnessing all that pat went through with tom Baxter, the abortion, her killing him and almost going to jail. For Alice...the natural response was to go the opposite extreme and become all about nursing with little to.no time for.men. Rachel was able to take advantage of this fact to snag Steve for awhile.

And it made sense Alice would have a nervous breakdown in 1974...and given the whole fire and aftermath...develop ptsd in 1979.

I think had harney stayed on..the ptsd would have played out and not been forgotten once that brief recast took over. Did the brief recast they to play the ptsd or was it abandoned the moment she took over?

• Members

Thanks for that cover.

I think that this was AW's best ever "WhoDunIt?" story and one of my favorite storylines for the show of all time. Cali Timmins was by far a better Paulina and her chemistry with Tom Eplin sizzled at times. I was big Jake/Paulina fan when she played the part but it fell through once Judi Evans took over. (I NEVER understood Paulina getting involved with Joe.)

The build up to this story I thought was well done and the complicated relationships Jake had with each of these women, as well as their relationships among themselves, was fun to watch and figure out.

Plus, Anne Heche rocked this material!

Edited by Melroser

• Members

It's funny how divided fans are on the Paulina portrayers. I thought Cali was a big snooze and that Judi scorched up the screen with Tom. But I know lots of people that agree with you ... and lots of people who agree with me. I do agree with you that Paulina and Joe were a huge mistake.

• Members

I think Judi had more chemistry with Tom than Cali did (Jake/Paulina at that time felt to me like Paulina being vulnerable and being used), but I thought Cali played the broken girl to a tee and had a lot more chemistry with Rachel, Iris, even Amanda. I don't think it was ever the same with Judi and the Corys.

• Members

Oh I enjoyed Judi Evans and she became a fave of mine. Her chemistry with Tom Eplin was also good but I never felt that Paulina was the same character with Judi. It always felt to me like she came on as a different role. wink.png

I just prefered Cali's Paulina as a match for Jake as well as a rival for Iris. I wish the Iris/Paulina rivalry could have kept going since Iris had always been jealous of her father. I'm sure she resented the fact that he had another daughter.

Did the show ever really address Iris and Sandy as brother and sister? I know that Sandy came back at one point with a different actor around the time that Cecile wanted to pass off Maggie as Cass' daughter (at least I think it was that time). Was Carmen Duncan still on then? I can't remember.

• Members

Thanks. Yeah I had to look it up (because obviously I'm bored) but I was curious. IMbd shows Stephen Borgadus (I didn't even know his name) played Sandy in 1993 and Carmen Duncan left in '94. So they would have been on together.

Sad that I don't remember them interacting...of course, maybe they didn't that much which is also sad as they would have had an interesting history as characters.

• Members

I never heard that before. Thinking about it now, Reinholt would been the right age range for the character of Alan. Although Christopher Bernau will always be "Alan" to me, I actually think Reinholt could have been a good recast of Alan when Bernau was finally too sick to play him in 1988.

Edited by zanereed