Another World

• Members

I would think that P & G would try to keep Reinholt and Courtney in the P & G family given their popularity. If Somerset was not an option, there was Search for Tomorrow, As the World Turns, Guiding Light, and Edge of Night. Putting them on Edge would have brought publicity to the show as it was getting ready to move to ABC.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ellen Holly never said in her book that she was offered any other role by Agnes Nixon.

Lillian Hayman, upon learning that her role was over on One Life to Live, contacted Agnes Nixon. Ms. Nixon reportedly told her that she had nothing to do with One Life to Live any longer. She offered Ms. Hayman a role on Loving. It was the Minnie Madden role. The actress who was cast in the role eventually (Louise Stubbs) told in interviews that she had auditioned for the role, then the show suddenly was waiting for some other actress to join the cast, the other actress decided not to take the role, and then she was cast so suddenly that she barely had time to get back to New York from a theatrical job to play Minnie.

I don't remember if the role on Loving was to be Sadie or the newly created character of Minnie.

Ms. Hayman, by the way, was said to have forgiven Paul Rauch and ABC for the firing, as she was a church-going woman.

• Members

Yes, you would think, but unfortunately, executives made bone-headed and incomprehensible decisions back then, just as they do today. Maybe P&G just wanted Reinholt out of their hair completely, which I can understand considering the stories of his allegedly difficult behavior. Both he and Courtney were snapped up by ABC shortly after they left AW, so perhaps NBC and/or P&G just didn't get their acts together fast enough, to secure either actor before they switched networks. Who knows? Whatever the reason, it was not the brightest move to allow two high-voltage stars get away. Even Harding Lemay admitted in his book that Courtney's appearance on OLTL may have helped its ratings steady rise.

• Members

Yes, he and Jacquie Courtney were huge stars back in the day. They were the Luke & Laura of the 1970s.

There are a few episodes and clips of Reinholt's work on youtube. There's an ep from 1974 with Reinholt's Steve talking to his lawyer John Randolph, with that annoying Rachel (LOL) butting in. There's a clip from 1968 of Steve's meeting Alice for the first time at Lenore's wedding to Walter Curtin. There's another clip of Steve phoning Alice, trying to talk to her, but she refuses, and then one from 1973 of Steve and Alice hashing out their differences in person.

Unfortunately, 99% of this golden era of AW is gone.

• Members

Did Rauch contact him about reprising Steve Frame when they brought him back from the dead in the '80s, or did they figure it was not worth the trouble and go with Canary? I know he could be extremely difficult to work with, but his return might've just been the shot in the arm the show needed.

• Members

I'm sure all the daytime press would have reported such an offer by Rauch to Reinholt, but there was never any mention of such a thing.

AW was actually lucky with the Steven Frame recast. David Canary was a fine actor, and had a strong screen presence, so I could understand why they chose him. Far less understandable is why the show kept choosing such atrocious actresses in the role of Alice. Susan Harney was at least adequate, but Vana Tribbey was too vapid and sexual, Wesley Pfenning was stiff and wooden, and Linda Borgenson had no depth or chemistry with anyone. These recasts were as bad as they could get.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

You can find all of the Alices in youtube clips, if you are interested. I just watched a bunch of AW episodes yesterday with Vana Tribbey. There are several eps with Borgenson too, and at least one with Pfenning. You can see for yourself how wrong they were for the role. smile.png

Edited by vetsoapfan