[Smart] Characters Who Watch Soaps

• Members

Recently, I have spotted a number of characters on different shows that watch soaps. I like it, maybe because more often than not, they are smart, educated people, and not trailer trash. Can you name some? The ones I know of are:

Gregory House, from HOUSE (they even had a whole episode resolve around his fave soap, even though it pissed me off because the whole tone was kind of condescending)

Joan from MAD MEN (fan of AS THE WORLD TURNS)

Miranda Bailey from GREY'S ANATOMY (she's a fan of daytime television)

Who else is a daytimer and freely admits it? :lol: Are there any daytime soap characters that watch soaps?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the teacher on Dawsons Creek watchs Days. Funny since it was shortly after Pacey and his teacher, played by DAYS' Leann H, had an affair.

Pacey watched soaps in an episode too, but he wasnt exactly smart.

Dr Cox on Srubs watch's Days. As does Fran on The Nanny.

There is a website somewhere with a list of soap opera scenes being showen on other shows/movies, but ive lost the link.

• Members

Fran also watches Y&R, B&B, AMC and the fictitious 'One Day After Another'.

Frasier - Niles watches Y&R for a brief period while recovering from an operation.

Futurama - Some of the characters watch 'All My Circuits'.

American Dad! - Roger watches AMC.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - Not exactly a smart character, but Jazz mentions at one point that he requires "complete silence during The Young and the Restless".

• Members

That's from the first season "Breakfast Club"-like episode, right? I remember the teacher was watching a scene with Sami and Kate and they actually showed it.

Jack, Janet, and Chrissy from "Three's Company" watched Y&R and GH. On "The Jeffersons," Florence and some of her friends watched AMC and RH, and on "Sanford and Son," Fred watched lots of soaps, especially DAYS (he even recapped one of Mickey's storylines once).

• Members

Not too smart...

Jack McFarland on "Will&Grace" made numerous B&B quips during the shows run.

As Y&R-fan stressed "The Nanny's" Fran Fine was a soap buff. She was extremely heavy on AMC ("I haven't seen in a month - I wonder if the party at Erica's is over by now?") and B&B/Y&R with remarks and even a crossover to CBS Television City.

• Members

On American Dad, Roger is also a big fan of Dynasty and attended a retrospective at the Smithsonian iirc.

On Everybody Hates Chris, Chris's dad is a serious Y&R fan and he goes ballistic when someone screws with the vcr and it doesn't tape his story.

On Will & Grace, I think it was Jack and Grace bickering (? I don't remember), but Will referred to them as "Gabrielle and Tina". I thought that was a good one that only a select few of us would get. :lol:

• Members

Everybody Loves Kristoff!

THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS’ Kristoff St. John is taking a quick break from portraying Neil to guest star on an episode of the CW sitcom EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS in which he’ll play… himself! Watch for the fan favorite to appear in a police lineup after he’s mistakenly believed to be the reckless driver who hit Greg (Vincent Martella) with a car. Watch for Chris’ mom, Rochelle, who’s played by former RYAN’S HOPE actress Tichina Arnold (Zena), to enthusiastically request St. John’s autograph after she sees him. (Hey, who wouldn’t?) St. John’s episode of EVERYBODY airs on Friday, March 20, at 8 pm ET.

http://cbs.soapsindepth.com/latebreakingnews/

Archived