Glee: Discusion Thread

Toups

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought the premier had its moments, and stood up to one of the better episodes from the last half of last year (ie there was a lot that I didn't like, but overall I still enjoyed the episode). I do NOT get the appeal of Charice (and since then I've read she's had botox? she's 18!), and hope she won't be seen too regularly, but if her being on means more appearances (and songs I hope) from my top Broadway crush, Cheyenne Jackson who made a quick cameo as the new coach of Voca Adrenaline, than I think I can handle it.

• Members

I have way too much time on my hands obviously, but I thought this Britney episode basically got everything that can and has gone wrong with Glee and put it into one tidy episode.

It makes me think Ryan Murphy should stop scripting or directing episodes (he did both this week--last week his co creator Ian Brennan wrote and it was miles better). I was glad to read on nearly every blog that even most fans (not all though) agreed.

Poor Britney--they didn't even TRY to do what Glee does best--which is when they find surprising and oddly effective ways to incorporate songs into the action and story. Instead most of the songs were straight up re-enactments of the videos, done as fantasy sequences. Yawn. I mean they were well done, and we finally got to see why Morris was hired as Britany--not only is she funny but I know they hired her as their lead female dancer, and I thought she actually out danced Britney. Otherwise....

Ryan Murphy did what he always does (he did it in Nip Tuck too) which is the characters act OUT of character to allow story points. Since when was Mr Shuster who the kids were all down with doing Goldigger with last year, now seen as this uber square guy who doesn't like letting loose or listening to modern music?!?! Since when did Sue hate sexually suggestive music, after going on about how empowering she found Madonna last year she even had a cone bras? Why has Rachel reverted to being even LESS secure than ever, and why are the couple we're meant to hope for, her and Finn, so incredibly dull and chemistry less? And I find Britany hilarious--as well as her bitchy sidekick Santana, but this episode kinda proved why they should just be secondary characters. (Oh and Shut Up Artie--you were an !@#$%^&*] boyfriend ALL of last year--why should random Asian girl who no longer stutters want you back when she has a hotter guy now whbo doesn't whine??)

Also typical of Murphy the tone was all over the place--Glee has always gotten off on borderline raunchy double entendres and humour, and a mix of sentimentality and cartoony humour--and often it works for me. It sure didn't today. They showed WAY too much of ugly Jew boy (I'm almost surprised there's been no backlash to him but I guess maybe cuz Rachel's jewish too?). He's funny enough in QUICK little cameos--not focused on when it just becomes mean spirited and ICKY. The jerking off completely naked, ass sweat stuff? Umm and Ryan says this is a great family show?

And then--they did the Bob Fosse styled Toxic--which I actually liked! But the kids getting whipped into a sexual frenzy was WAY too over the top, and then to actually interupt the number over and over again with characters like "fat girl" and "jewfro boy" shouting the same thing over and over--We Get It. Just show the stupid number you worked hard to stage.

Anyway really disappointed--and it makes me think maybe they should stop doing tribute episodes--the show works best when they mix a surrpising variety of styles into one episode. (though ending on a non britney song The Exception was odd--I liked it, but I'm tired of Rachel ALWAYS finishing every episode with a ballad, even if she sang one of my fave Broadway over the top cheezy ballads last week What I Did for Love from Chorus Line).

Anyway I hope the rumoured MJackson Superbowl tribute works better. And I hope it's back on track next week--some bloggers are already callign this episode a jump the shark moment. We'll see.

• Members

It shows again the desperation of Ryan Murphy shows -- you would never think Glee was a huge hit with the way they twisted themselves into a pretzel for Britney Spears, who, in spite of Glee loving to act like it's so daring and takes no prisoners, is apparently a huge, unblemished star of the ages. There is an ugly self-loathing which pervades this show and Nip/Tuck and I wonder if they really do see themselves as unworthy and needing to be in awe of anyone they can get who they see as a name.

• Members

There's definitely something to that. Murphy seems to come up with good ideas and even decent half season plans for his shows--good first 13 eps or so. But he quickly loses track of what made the show so appealing in the first place, it seems. What hooked audiences to Glee was pretty basic--appealing characters, songs that often surprised yet fixed the action, and basically something fairly ligth and joyful. Instead he stuffs it up with guest stars, cruder comedy, etc. It really does seem like whoever's manning the ship (and I blame Murphy primarily due to past experience) just is completely lost...

But hey they nearly got 14 million viewers fo it, so unfrotunately no one will realize how broke the ship is already and try to fix it, till it's much too late...

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Administrator

I love Brittany and Britney so I really enjoyed the episode. Heather Morris is such a fantastic dancer - holy crap those dance moves in the "I'm a Slave 4 You" and "Me Against the Music." I didn't like Rachel/Lea's rendition of "Baby One More Time" because I felt her voice was very wrong for that song. Loved Artie's "Stronger."

And yay for the show reaching new ratings high!

"Jumping the shark" is so over-used now. People just say it whenever they dislike an episode. It was said for the Madonna episode, for the Lady Gaga episode, and of course the Britney episode.

Episode 2.2: "Britney/Brittany"

Will: Alright, who can tell me who Christopher Cross is?

Brittany: He discovered America.

Brittany: I don’t want to do Britney?

Kurt: Why no Brintey, Brittany?

Brittany: Because my name is also “Britney Spears.”

Will: What?

Mercedes: What the hell is she talking about?

Brittany: My middle name is Susan, my last name is Pierce. That makes me Brittany S. Pierce.....Brittany S-Pierce. I’ve lived my entire life in Britney Spears’ shadow – I will never be as talented or famous. I hope you all respect that I want Glee Club to remain a place where I, Brittany S. Pierce, can escape the torment of Britney Spears.

Emma’s Flyers:

- “Wow! There’s a hair down there!”

- “I Still breatfeed…..but how old IS too old?”

- “Proper wiping: Easy as 1-2-3”

Brittany: I don’t brush my teeth. I rinse my mouth out with soda after I eat. I was pretty sure Dr. Pepper was a dentist.

Brittany: This room looks like the one on that spaceship where I got probed.

Brittany: Please don’t pull out all my teeth. When I smile, I’ll look like an adult baby but with boobs.

Brittany: Are you a cat?

Santana: Hey dwarf. Anyone ever tell you that you dress like one of the bait girls on “To Catch A Predator.”

Brittany: It’s Brittany….(pause)….bitch.

Finn: I think that guy over just broke up with his girlfriend so that he could just stare at you.

Brittany (feeling Jacob’s hair): It looks like a Jewish cloud.

Sue: It’s a Britney Spears sex riot!

Sue: I’m going to sue the pants off you, Will. I’m going to take your house, your car, your extensive collection of vest. I mean seriously, you wear more vests than the cast of Blossom.

Brittany: Finn can fly?

• Members

Cheap, cheap, cheap. :P But that's the very problem! Those were almost all slavish recreations (without even the humour of the Vogue recreation last year) done with no imagination, albeit very well done for what they were. Worse, they had no idea how to even try to integrate them into the stories, themes, or action of the plot so just threw them all in as fantasy sequences. LAZY. I could just watch them on youtube--though the actress playing Britany did prove why she was hired originally for her dancing skills (she's one of the two dancers who did the live performances of Beyonce's Single Ladies, and came close to the top 20 in season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance when she had to leave due to a job)--I thought she actually outdanced the real Britney (and let's face it the one talent Britney, in her prime, genuinely had was dance ability)

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

I liked the Bridge over Troubled Water number (you betta wear dat crown gay boy whose name I forget at the moment!) though I still prefer the inspiration piece:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/4Cw1gHyC-Qg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/4Cw1gHyC-Qg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/4Cw1gHyC-Qg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Which was of course inspired by:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_DBl5gAs6WI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_DBl5gAs6WI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/_DBl5gAs6WI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Edited by SFK