Glee: Discusion Thread

Toups

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't know if it was intentional or not but at the boards I've looked at, there really has been a lot of anger and backlash with Kurt's behavior and any point Burt's speech had seemed to get somewhat lost in the shuffle. If even sites like Afterelton feel this way then I wonder how the average viewer feels. If Murphy wanted people to hate Kurt then he's done a good job of it.

Afterelton's recap also wondered if Rachel was saying that her adoptive invisible fathers are not good enough parents for her, which, given the way Murphy tends to write for non-traditional characters, would just reinforce the already existing negative stereotypes some have towards adoptive parents, or same-sex parents.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Are her parents gay? I'm pretty sure I heard her say that her two dads couldn't sew (which I thought was actually a concerted effort to shatter at least one stereotype :P ).

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8RfirsJlfxQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8RfirsJlfxQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/8RfirsJlfxQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

• Members

I thought that too. But did you just start watching? In the early episodes they went on about her gay dads *constantly* (though we've yet to see them--I heard they're apparently waiting for some "big names"). Speaking of, we've had Molly Shanon now on as that ex junkie teacher about three times, and each time she gets about... one line. Are they holding out for some big story? Why is she even there?

• Members

I don't think it was intentional whatsoever--the lend scenes seem to show we were meant to side with Kurt (the strange thing is they even had him briefly defend Finn when his dad started his tirade). I agree with BadZoe completely that if Finn had just been visiting or something and jumped the gun it woulda been more understandable.

I actually, as much as I hate how Murphy writes this stuff, don't think they were implying Rachel's dads were less than good parents whatsoever--that's one argument I won't agree with. While it's true they sucked at sewing, that's the only thing we've ever heard negative about them (well except that they're kinda stage parents but Rachel seems to thrive on that, and her mom is obviously no better).

• Members

Eric, I caught bits and pieces of, I'll say the 2nd-4th episodes I guess? I saw the one with Kristen Chenoweth and I think that's the last full one I saw until last night. And of course I've seen the big videos that get posted all over the net like Vogue and Physical (which for the first time I noticed has very gospely chords ^_^ ). I don't know if it's still the deal, but back when there were only like 4 episodes, they were all available to watch on IMDb so I may catch up, but I fnd the show very easy to follow, you get the characters immediately and the serialized elements can be picked up very quickly.

• Administrator

The last two episodes were really good, especially the musical numbers. NPH was great as Bryan Ryan (such a good name! :lol:). "Dream On" was damn good. "Bad Romance" was wicked too - this was the first time I really noticed Naya Rivera (Santana) as a singer. I was really impressed by her. And of course Lea Michelle and Idina Menzel's duets were spectacular. I thought Shelby/Jesse were out to get Rachel but it turned out Shelby wanted to a bit closer to Rachel. Loved Artie's flash mob dance at the mall fantasy. Kurt's dad has got to be the best TV dad right now. His speech to Finn was amazing - kudos to Ryan Murphy for writing that.

During the winter break, I think TPTB (probably FOX) wanted the show to become less soapy (the fake pregancy; Quinn giving the baby to Terri). I definitely noticed the shift in tone (storyline wise).

• Members

She's probably gone. They would've done something with her by now.

I don't miss her. They ruined the character - and it seems that the producers never had a long term plan, but just used her as a temporary obstacle for Will and Emma.

• Members

I'm not sure they ruined her--she was unpleasant from the very start, and not in a remotely good way. I felt sorry for the actress, though of course she has experience with Murphy and playing unpleasant women... Toups, you're right they made it less soapy, which IMHO was a good move--the fake pregnancy was so unpopular. That said I sorta liked when it wasn't ALL set in the school, like so much more of it is now, and with the dropping of some of those elements they don't really seem to know what to replace it with.

Toups, all the parts you mentioned I agree were largely great (though I'm sick of Murphy giving his characters names like Brian Ryan:P but oh well), but I still had big probs with stuff in between the bits you mentioned (have I mentioned that I DO like the show and am a fan? :P ). I mean, I agree the speech the dad said was great, but as we've said here, did Finn really deserve all that??