January 5-9, 2009

Toups

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

"All My Children" and "Days of our Lives" remain the only daytime soap operas increasing viewership year-over-year. "General Hospital" hits first "real" 1.9 Household rating outside of a holiday week in history. Meanwhile, "The Young and the Restless" holds down another 4.0 on a Friday to continue its rein as daytime's most watched drama series. "Guiding Light" continues to record low ratings. "One Life to Live" and "As The World Turns" remain stagnant.

• Members

I'm really pleased with Y&R's numbers. Everyone at that show is going forward with confidence. It's MAB's vision and those who disagree with it can go to hell...whose the boss? She is.

I have a feeling that we're going to get our wishes granted at B&B. Fashion is going to be making a comeback. That whole show is about to hit it's annual 6 months of brilliance followed by 6 months of nonsense. This year though I hear they're going to at least make the nonsense entertaining.

Good for DAYS.

The rest, I could care less.

• Members

My first time posting here and I just wanted to add my two cents on the two shows that I watch Y&R and OLTL. I agree with what is said about Y&R they are solid and steady,now with OLTL I think that they have hit their stride. This is their core audience and that elusive new viewer will not come because new viewers just don't watch daytime soap operas. When I say new viewers I am talking about viewers with no soap viewing history. I know viewers switch from soap to soap but I truly believe that the general public is just not interested in soaps and for a good reason. Also as much as I can tolerate OLTL right now it is missing something and that something may just be turning off a whole demographic of viewers.

• Members

These demos are pretty high, but as usual the viewer ratings are weird this week. This was a pretty boring week with the kids going back to school, but I believe next week is where we see some inflated numbers and with MLK coming up the numbers won't look that down next week.

I'm very pleased with Y&R's ratings because this show has seemingly come a long way since the spring as a horrible show to watch. Putting Kay in the main storyline has worked and it helps the show when you can use a veteran like this to help build the newer character so that one day they can help carry the show in the future. The demo was pretty darn high at 1.9, but I'm a little displeased that Y&R didn't reach two 4.0s that week, but the viewership numbers were pretty high. CBS has to be happy about the turn around with this show.

DAYS got the drop that I expect from them, but the 1.4 in the demo is still always a positive sign. For DAYS these ratings are really healthy considering where they were at just a year ago. Two 2.2s last week including three days of 3 million viewers.

ABC shows are really disappointing, but they just seem to be relying on their core audience right now and ABC Daytime is going to have try something to get viewers watching the lineup live because I have a feeling viewers don't feel the worth to watch the lineup live like on CBS or NBC. The demos for each show was healthy, but viewership levels were low also stable from week to week. GH reaching their first sub 2 rating is bad.

• Members

There's no hope for real improvement at ABC as long as Frons is there. It doesn't matter how many times they switch HWs or EPs. That's putting a band-aid on a brain tumor.

I think each show will bounce up and down in the same .2-.3 point range with occasional spikes in each direction. But I think they're done with the big drops now. (Remember that 3 million people who walked away?) I believe ABC is down to its baseline audience.

• Members

LOL you mean the Reese pimping isn't packing them in Pratt? :rolleyes:

See I don't get how that's possible, when AMC was one of the ABC soaps that was bleeding viewers big time last year, weren't they down like seventy some thousand a year ago from the previous year or something like that?

Archived