January 5-9, 2009

Toups

• Members

Yes AMC was down last year - this same week they were down by about 700,000 viewers, but it still does not take away from the fact that AMC is on the rise again. They are recovering. And the fact that only 2 shows have been able to do that is a good sign.

Since the last week of October AMC has only been down from last year 1 week. That means every week except one they have been up from last year.

In this climate that is a good thing. That means they are recovering and that some fans who either tuned out came back or that the show has new viewers. It also means that since last year the rate of fans tuning out is less than the amount of fans tuning in. And that is a good thing.

I am sorry if that rains on the parade of those who want to say that Pratt is ruining the show and hope to get rid of him. The numbers do not say that.

If you compare the show or any show to what they were 2 years ago the picture is not going to be pretty for any. And as they say when a show gets that bad they will either keep going in that direction or they will start to recover.

AMC is doing the latter it is recovering. It is showing growth. And I for one am happy about that.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL according to some we can't blame Pratt cause he's only one a few writers. People need to make up their minds.

Seriously you don't? Go to any board and you'll see that not much is working on this show right now. Let me just say I know of some who aren't happy that Reese is getting airtime at the expense of Bianca-a LEGACY character.

Bianca fans are unhappy, Angie & Jesse fans are unhappy, and so on and so forth. There's major discontent with this show. Heck even the soap mags can't find much about AMC to praise

I guess I don't get what's so hard to understand about that.

• Members

Well if people dislike AMC then why are people tuning in? Why did AMC rise from last year, why did it do good in demos?

Its like me saying It's all Kendall/Zach/Greenlee/Ryan/Annie/Adian for the loss of viewers last year.........................:rolleyes:

Pratt has done BETTER things than McT/B&E combined. IMO Pratt gets AMC more then B&E ever did. Pratt devoted an entire epi to Mrytle, gave a good 10,000 show, made Annie rootable, and IMO I think Agnes would perfer this AMC then the one B&E wrote for.

• Members

general hospital is doing awful as a show. There is too much mob and no focus on the show. I just do not get how Robert Guza still has a job as HW on the show. I remember when GH was the staple and now it is the joke of the industry

• Members

You hit the nail right on the head, even if you didn't realize it. The majority of people, as far as I can see, that are unhappy with the direction of the show are people that attach themselves to certain fanbases..... I am not generalizing, because I will point out of course not everyone attached to a signal fanbase is going to feel the same way, but the majority seem to be. Based on what I've read.....

I realize your opinion will never be changed, which is fine because mine won't. Its just your assessment is more accurate than you realize.

Those I see not necassarily praising Pratt and every stroke of his pen, but those generally not ticked off with the show feel it has taken a step back and sort of regained part of what its been missing for so many years. He has some unconventional methods (the off screen thing) and of course maybe likes the violence a little bit too much.... but the violence so far has always just been a catalyst. The aftermath is always what people have tuned in for with soaps, and for me the aftermath more than makes up for a senseless killing.... because it is for the most part balanced, well played and even sometimes well written! The ratings trends seem to back that claim up as well.

JMO of course.

• Members

Very well said Adam and I agree with you.

It is the same for Y&R. The only people generally that I read who have been unhappy with Y&R these days are people attached to one couple or character. Everyone else seems to be loving it.

As I have said Pratt is not perfect and neither is Bell but what they have done for Y&R and AMC far outweighs any of the negative.

• Members

As Adam said you hit the nail on the head.

ALL MY CHILDREN fans are happy. They are the ones tuning back in.

This how is not the Bianca show.... it is not the Angie & Jesse show....... it is not the Zendell show............

The last time I looked it was called All My Children.

Pratt is not there to make Bianca fans happy or Angie & Jesse fans happy at the expense of everyone else.

He is working to make the show as a whole better and make it appeal to a wider audience and not just those who tune in to see one or two characters. It is about time that we got some writers who were willing to do that.

As I said Pratt is not perfect but and there are little elements I am still not happy with. But when I compare the show overall it is much better than it was a year ago, 2 years ago - even just a few months ago.

And that means alot.

• Members

I don't think fanbases help soaps at all. I believe that there are just as many people who watch a soap that aren't in any fanbase as there are that are in a fanbase so I think that when a writer listens to a fanbase that it's not good for the overall show. I think it's interesting and also irritating when I read on a message board or in a soap magazine when someone says the fans want or don't want this or that as if they're speaking for all fans when they're clearly not. I watch soaps for the entire show so there is always something to enjoy even if I don't always enjoy everything on a particular soap.

As for Pratt...I'm happy with what he's doing with AMC.

• Members

I just started watching The Young and the Restless at the suggestion of a friend who loves soaps. I have been for near 30 years watching Days, but I cannot stomach the show anymore. And I am a part of a Days fanbase.

I have to admit that maybe being part of a fanbase does take away from enjoyment of the show. That and I really don't care for Dena Higley's style of writing. The ratings are rising and I don't condemn the people who like it. But the show is not my cup of tea anymore.

It has taken me a little while to get into Y&R but the show is starting to "click" for me. And it's refreshing to watch a new soap where I have no attachment to any couple or character. That may sound strange, but I'm really just enjoying figuring out what is happening. What is keeping me tuned into Y&R is the storytelling, dialogue and the acting (I'm getting all three at once -- yeah!). I am paying attention to the details of the stories. I have no preconceived notions about who should be with whom or how a storyline should go. I'm watching it unfold and it is fun to watch. I had forgotten that US soaps can actually be good. And I'm not angry at all at what is happening on screen, like I was when I watched Days. I'm pretty much "go with the flow" as I watch Y&R.

• Members

When I started watching AMC, I started watching not because of any one character, but because of the family atmosphere, the humor (which ranged from near-slapstick to drawing room comedy), and the wide variety of stories.

That's what I miss about AMC. I don't want to see Zach 3 or 4 days a week. I think his stories are dragging the show down, and they taint everyone he comes into contact with. I don't want to see David tied up with Tad and Krystal. I've grown to hate Tad over the years and in spite of BE, I don't care about Krystal. I don't want to see Ryan and Greenlee play happy family with the daughter of the woman they drove insane, especially since Ryan will come through unscathed, as he usually does.

These stories take up most of the show. Other stories, like Angie/Jesse dealing with Rebecca and her child with Jesse, or Taylor/Brot, stop and start so much I can never be as invested as I want to be.

If Pratt has no choice but to write for some of these characters, and he's only making do with what has been forced on him, I'd just like to see less stories about drugging, murder, insanity. AMC has been so much about violence and death for so long now, I was hoping for a tiny break.

• Members

I'm actually liking AMC right now. It's not "must see" for me but it's nice enough. But I find it interesting that those who don't like the show are being accused of being members of a disgruntled fanbase and not real fans of the show (because real fans of the show are liking it.) This seems to be the new norm as soaps start bottoming out. Hope turns to desperation to hostility because we all know these shows don't have many next chances left.

Archived