2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

WAIIIIIT!

Does Rob Decina have ANY booth experience prior to being listed as Casting Director or Director on GL? And I mean booth experience before they switched to the low budget cams.

How the hell was he able to leapfrog everyone, Production Assistants, Associate Directors, and even Technical Directors, to land in that chair with no prior experience in any of those areas? It's different at a show than GL where everything is so "On The Fly," but ATWT still has a traditional way of shooting in the studio?

Can anyone tell me how his episode looked?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Nope.

He definitely must know someone at CBS or Telenext to be able to jump over those people who worked in those positions for years. I could imagine how those people felt when they found out the former casting director is getting a chance to direct.

• Members

Can someone look into this? Because I highly, highly, oh so highly doubt that this is as blasé as you guys are making it out to seem. Multi-camera directing is not something a casting director can say "Hey, I'd like to try this with zero experience, training or understanding of the complexities of the medium at all!" and an executive would go, "Sure! Have at it!" And, as I said, the episode definitely didn't look that bad for someone who hadn't any experience at all.

• Members

http://www.slc.edu/graduate/programs/theatre/profiles/Rob_Decina.html

Further education:

M.F.A., Theatre, Sarah Lawrence (1994)

Career:

* Casting director, Guiding Light (1999–present)

* Adjunct professor of communications, Pace University (2002–present)

* Teacher, TVI Actors Studio (1999–present)

* Artistic director and producer, Young Connecticut Playwrights Festival and the Maxwell Anderson Playwrights Series (1996–present)

* Author, The Art of Auditioning (Allworth Press, 2004)

* Associate casting director, Warner Bros. Television, New York (1997–99)

* Freelance theatre director (1994–2000)

* Freelance casting assistant (1994–97)

* Directing intern, the Juilliard School (Drama Division) (1994–95)

* Directing intern, Berkshire Theatre Festival (Summer 1994)

• Members

He's probably had some training and has been around it long enough to know the ins and outs. I've known some camera operators who have gone on to direct. And yes, camera operation is more closely related to directing than is talent scouting, but it's not that far fetched.

• Administrator

Let the guessing game begin! Who's gonna be out/in at AMC? I'm going to guess James Kahn out for sure. Maybe Tracey Thomson too. As for who's gonna come, no guesses yet since we don't know who the new HW will be.

• Members

I was thinking that as well, that their only motivation in getting rid of Pratt was to get someone cheaper. But don't they have to pay him for the remainder of his contract anyways? In which case this will cost them more money.

Also, Frons didn't have a replacement ready when he fired McTavish. She was let go the last week of February 2007 and B&E weren't named the new headwriters until late May 2007. Although that might have been because things fell through with Kay Alden and he had to go find someone else.

• Members

I think that's largely what it was. From her symposium, it was all but said that she was up for the job. She said so much as that the show she was associated with directly at the time was All My Children, and considering she spent two decades writing for Y&R, she knew a LOT about AMC's recent history and character likability factors being rather low.

Archived