2009: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be completely honest, this wasn't a comment directed only at Y&R. It was for the better of a lot of shows... ATWT, GH, Y&R & B&B... they are all screwed up so badly, IMO. But the trainwreck never seems to end.

But yeah, it's a sad thing about Y&R. MAB is cemented on her position for a long time.

• Members

OK, I predicted it. I'm such a prognosticator. Last year, in the Director's and Writer's thread, I said that the person who would take the reigns form Pratt would be AMC's savior. And she's here! YAY!!!!!!!!

OK, so she hasn't saved the show yet, but I have faith! Step back Frons, and let Lorraine write.

• Members

I go back to what Kay Alden said about Frons. Alden said his problem isn't that he is overly-involved but that he doesn't step in enough. She said if a writer is passionate about something then Frons doesn't feel that it's his place to get in their way, even if he has doubts.

I think the ABC headwriters have alot more freedom than we think. The problem is that they usually have a similar mindset to Frons. A few years back I was surprised to hear Guza say that he was experiencing less network interference than during his stint in the late 90s.

To me it seems like if a HW wants to do something Frons generally lets them do it.

Barbara Esensten desperately wanted Angie & Jesse back and he made sure she got them. On the flip side Pratt probably has never even met a black person and has no interest in writing for the Hubbards, and Frons lets him not write for them, despite the money shelled out to get them.

Frons loved Simone and Aidan. McTavish didn't. They weren't written for. Frons made sure they kept being re-signed, but he never made McTavish write for them.

Frons has gone on record as saying his preference is Sonny and Carly being together on GH but that Guza had other pairings he wanted to try. And Guza won that debate.

• Members

I agree with this assessment. That's why I've never been one to blame Frons for EVERYTHING WRONG WITH ABC SOAPS! He's an easy scapegoat, but the proof is in the pudding. If he is SUCH a control freak, why are OLTL and GH allowed to write pretty much whatever they want? Let's face facts. The show is headed by an incompetent producer who is too much of a yes-woman to take any risks in fighting for the integrity of a show whose history she knows nothing about and writers who are on ego trips. I, too, remember her saying that if a writer is passionate about something he'll let them write it.

You mean the worst show in the history of daytime dramatic serials on the face of the planet since the dinosaurs roamed the earth after the Garden of Eden and the Big Bang theory with primordial ooze?!

Wait... I'm sorry. That wasn't Gays in a Bathhouse Cruising enough. I guess I'll never make it as a credible journalist.

• Administrator

I agree, it would be be great if she brought back Michelle Patrick.

Addie Walsh and Jeff Beldner must be very happy to have LB back.

Kubla Khan mention in the other thread that when LB went to ATWT, she brought some of her AMC writers. Let's see she worked with at both shows:

- Hal Corley

- Jeff Beldner

- Christina Covino

- Judith Donato

- Karen Lewis

Any more?

• Members

Even though he's more strongly associated with McTavish Victor Miller seems to have had a good working relationship with Broderick over the years. Didn't they co-headwrite together for a period in the 80s? I wonder if he would come out of retirement a second time...

• Members

I was about to compile a possible dream team, but she worked with so many great writers: Frederick Johnson, Michelle Patrick, Courtney Simon, Karen Lewis, Judith Donato, Jeff Beldner, Carolyn Culliton, also Backus, Demorest, Dansby, Franz, Nipkow, B&B's Elizabeth Snyder, Brash, she was a part of that famous GL team...

Salmons briefly...

That's 15 people. Some of them under other contractual obligations, many of them commanding above average fees... Lots of decisions to be made.

How about this?

Head Writer

Lorraine Broderick

Co-Head Writer

Frederick Johnson

Associate Head Writers

Michelle Patrick (SE)

Hal Corley

Karen Lewis

Courtney Simon

Script Writers

Jeff Beldner

Judith Donato

Kate Hall

Joanna Cohen

Never gonna happen, but hey...

• Members

Who knows though. We all thought Pratt was going to do some massive changes, but very little change happened on his writing team.

Lots of the people she worked with in the past are now unemployed, like Courtney Simon, Judith Donato, Hal Corley (if he wants to return to daytime), Karen Lewis (if she too wants to return), and Michelle Patrick (who may have had it with the industry for good).

Should be interesting to see, and she is repped by that monster Sarnoff. :rolleyes:

I think Fredrick Johnson is content at OLTL.

Archived