Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Several states are continuing to accept mailed and/or absentee ballots, as long as the ballots were postmarked by November 8.  Because today November 11 is a federal holiday, Veterans Day, there is no mail delivery.  This means that those states won't have updates tonight, unless they paid their employees holiday pay to count the ballots already received.  There will be mail delivery Saturday November 12, for those states still accepting ballots.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

@Vee I was reading about that earlier. Politico, which I haven't read much in a few years for obvious reasons, claims that Rick Scott had already been planning to run a leader campaign, to the point of recording a video.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/11/10/rick-scott-mcconnell-midterm-elections-martin-00066400

Scott is a ghoulish figure - the clip of him bragging about making unemployment benefits impossible for Floridians and the extremists he was speaking to briefly being too ashamed to applaud still chills me when I think about it - but he clearly knows now is the time to act, as the map means Republicans stand a very good chance in the Senate. He can take over, do what he does best (go on TV and talk about hurting poor people), and then just wait to become Majority Leader. 

And of course faded media darlings and chinless wonders who know their national ambitions are gone or will soon be gone are happy to join him.

McConnell is vastly overrated by a media that sees all Republicans as geniuses and right in step with the public at every turn, but other than some blunders he made in the runup to the Georgia runoffs in 2021, he generally has much stronger political instincts than most of those around him. If Scott gets more power and Trump's picks continue to hold sway in the party - and wretched Peter Thiel, of course (I imagine he's the one who put Blake Masters' perpetually traumatized Toy Story bully face on national television last night), that may be the best chance Democrats have to hold on to the Senate in 2024. 

• Members

Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it, but if they're stupid enough to unseat Mitch they deserve our worst even more than usual. He did warn them their candidates sucked.

And while I'm here let me just add that creepy Rick Scott looks like Matt Frewer in The Stand.

Edited by Vee