The Politics Thread

• Members

It is not a PR work. Please, please, I beg people, stop assuming this man is some sort of invincible god-king with an incredible mastery of the media when he fails literally all the time and has had countless media disasters for over four years and is between 7-10 points behind as of the last polls. There is cynicism or fear and then there is nihilistic self-own fantasy, and we're all better than that. Further, it serves the right.

On a side note, if anyone needs something uplifting.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I grew up less than five minutes from Walter Reed. My parents will be my mole on the inside.

A live deathwatch on the WH lawn with a medical emergency is not the material they want for a 74-year-old obese man who is down by 10. Stop trying to invent nightmare fantasies where Trump can turn this to an amazing comeback.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Where we disagree is that you need to be a master of 4D-chess to do these stunts. I would never say Trump is a brilliant tactician. I just think that he and those around him are more likely to lie and scheme about everything they do, whether it works out or not. To name a recent example - the deal with drug companies that he failed to seal because of his insistence on making them send out gift cards to seniors. Or his helping to shut down any further stimulus so he could play the big man with his worthless EOs. I do think, after everything today, that there's a good chance he has COVID, but I still can't help wondering how much is being stage-managed and how much people are being set up for a fall. Biden choosing to stop negative ads, which might allow Trump and the media a chance to further solidify sympathy for him, is another moment where I feel like someone walked into a trap. But we'll see. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

He wasn't trying to shut down the stimulus - he was scared of the bad press over the lack of more stimulus, and tried to do a lame stopgap measure to substitute for it which was counterproductive for everyone and still has barely reached anyone, me included. Trump wants a deal on stimulus; it's the GOP Senate and Meadows that have fought it.

Carl, you know I love you but I am sorry, this is completely off-base and IMO not remotely based in what's happening. That is conspiracy theory.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Me too.  And 7 to 10 points of a lead in polls mean nothing.  Hillary had more than 2 or 3 million votes and didn't win the Presidency.  I keep saying re: Biden - I wouldn't spend any more time in Florida or Texas.  Spend time in Michigan, Ohio, and PA.  I don't trust FL as being a toss-up for one second, nor Texas.  National polls mean nothing, State polls may and I don't even trust those either.  

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

They are now focusing more on places like NE-2, which makes sense. So does Pelosi trying to get more money into flipping delegations in case this goes to a tie in the House. I know they can't give up on Florida because it would be seen as an admission of defeat, but Florida is fool's gold at this point. If they can get back MI/WI/PA, hold the Hillary states, and win Arizona, that may be enough. It may also be about the best to expect. They don't seem to chase the big "win" as much as a lot of campaigns, which is a good thing. 

• Members

Thank you Carl. I found that article really enlightening. I'm in a  liberal bubble more than ever since the pandemic.  I have noticed that there are far few Trump signs in Omaha this year. Maybe those people will just stay home. I think it also helps that Biden is Catholic and this is a very Catholic state. They may have felt the need to vote against some one like Bernie, but with Biden they'll sit it out. I hope anyway.

• Members

I know, but any moment where they are let up on is one that can't be taken back. They never stop spewing their poison. 

I don't want to give these people too much credit. I just think they are very dangerous and at this point I can't help being paranoid at anything they say or do.